When am I allowed to be anti Clough?

TroyDyer

Simple question.

After 4 years of him in charge, I am now firmly of the opinion that Nigel is not the man for the job. I have zero excitement going to games to watch the same negative dross, and lack of ambition.

Despite many people around me at PP being of a similar opinion, that stance is seen as ridiculous by many on this forum.

I've only been back on the forums a few days and I've already been called a WUM and a Forest fan, because I think Clough should be replaced for the club to move forward. The fact is, it's the club I love. Not the staff and players. They come and go. And short of signing Lee Hughes or Marlon King, I couldn't give a **** who's here, if we're moving back where we should be.

So I ask you, what will need to happen for you to say enough is enough? It seems to me that in many of your eyes, he's bullet proof.

Will he need to be named in the Savile enquiry or will he actually, finally, be judged on his ability, or lack of?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple question.

If you're so anti clough, have zero excitement for matches and think we play like ****, then why bother going to the match.

Because, like me, he probably remembers the times when we were sick with excitement at

the prospect of seeing possibly the best team in Europe..every other week ?

Simple question.

If you're so anti clough, have zero excitement for matches and think we play like ****, then why bother going to the match.

Because the club is more important than managers and players. If we had Svennis as a manager I would still fly to watch the games when possible. It's about the Rams.

Simple question.

After 4 years of him in charge, I am now firmly of the opinion that Nigel is not the man for the job. I have zero excitement going to games to watch the same negative dross, and lack of ambition.

Despite many people around me at PP being of a similar opinion, that stance is seen as ridiculous by many on this forum.

I've only been back on the forums a few days and I've already been called a WUM and a Forest fan, because I think Clough should be replaced for the club to move forward. The fact is, it's the club I love. Not the staff and players. They come and go. And short of signing Lee Hughes or Marlon King, I couldn't give a **** who's here, if we're moving back where we should be.

So I ask you, what will need to happen for you to say enough is enough? It seems to me that in many of your eyes, he's bullet proof.

Will he need to be named in the Savile enquiry or will he actually, finally, be judged on his ability, or lack of?

Getting beat by our nearest and dearest 5-2 didn't exactly help in my opinion of Clough.

Then continuing to get beat by tinpot sides in the cup? People condome this saying the cup competations arent important, those are the same people saying Clough works on a shoestring budget. Ofcourse the cup is important, it brings in a form of income doesn't it? That money would surely help reduce the debt, pay a players wage, help towards bringing someone in...?

Afew wins against Leeds and Florest and he gets hailed, for me it's simply not enough.

People will accept any form of improvement. If we finished 11th this season, supporters will gloat and have the famous comeback "it's better than last season".

Those are the same people who've probably be stuck in the same deadend job for the past two decades, happy on minimum wage.

Because, like me, he probably remembers the times when we were sick with excitement at

the prospect of seeing possibly the best team in Europe..every other week ?

Not if he has only been going for 24 years he doesn't. I on the other hand have seen so many ups and downs including times when it was a shame when we scored again because it broke up the football 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> that so long as I can see progress - and I can, the downs don't worry me too much.

Because I've supported the club for 24 years and it's ingrained in me.

I probably worded the question badly. What I mean is, when will others on this forum finally say enough is enough?

This comes up every season for every single club and every single forum. Before then, it happened at pubs.

You'll never get everyone to agree with you.

We can discuss certain points and perhaps change views on certain things, but you're either anti, pro or indifferent to Clough and it takes a pretty spectacular run of results - either positive or negative - for anyone to change their views. Never seen anyone make such a compelling post on a forum to make someone say "oh my goodness, you're completely right, I hate Clough now". It doesn't happen.

This sort of talk is therefore tedious. I've done it so many times in the four years I've been on Derby forums and it's hard to care any more.

All I can do it but in on certain points. For example, I completely reject that Clough settles for mid-table, or anyone that claims he is happy with that. No one has access to what goes on behind closed doors, his phone calls, emails, let alone the thoughts in his head. I also reject that 4-5-1 is unambitious too. It's a rubbish formation for our set of players, but saying "we've got one up front and we're not trying to win it" is very simplistic. When Spain played 4-6-0 at the Euros, did they win it by accident?

I'm not longer Pro-Clough, but what is achieved if everyone says "enough is enough"? Merely stating we don't want him in charge achieves nothing. Most will then just stop going to games. Leaving a small number of fans left who like Clough. Then 100% of fans are Pro-Clough. Then the club is more Pro-Clough than when it started. Then there is eternal, dark nothingness.

You can argue til the cows come home about Clough. And people will. This thread will go on for pages and it won't be the last, and there will be many more with the next manager so I have no idea what I'm saying. This is pointless.

In fact, everything's pointless. Life is just one big pointless episode where nothing of any consequence is ever achieved.

I can generally get a feeling about a manager pretty quickly, but only if it's a definite failure!

I knew within a month that Jewell would be a disaster, I knew within 3 months that whilst Nigel Clough will improve things and wouldn't strictly be a disaster, would struggle to take us to where we want to be. I don't dispute that Nigel has the ability to establish a team in the middle of the table. He would be an ideal manager for a team coming up like Huddersfield. But for me, he hit his 'ceiling' 3 years ago, and it's still the same now.

I never had the feeling about Phil Brown (weirdly) nor George Burley, but I also knew that Gregory would fail.

Because I've supported the club for 24 years and it's ingrained in me.

I probably worded the question badly. What I mean is, when will others on this forum finally say enough is enough?

Why is it so important to you that others share your view? Maybe you should get out more, go for a walk and have a nice Camomile tea to help you relax and accept that it is not important for everyone to be in agreement. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Look we are all feeling it here. We are not saying that Nigel is perfect. We are saying that the team is better than last years team and we are seeing an improvement.

You have every right to feel like that and when I walked out of the ground on Saturday I was feeling like that as well but I had a beer and calmed down.

We have 14 games left and then we will see what happens if we miss out then see what players come in and go in Pre-season and go from there.

Archived