The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

like it or not though - Sammon is one of our better players. 

Simple as that, in the grand scheme of things we're ***** - so is the championship, it's an awful division which can make the most average players look half decent.

Fortunately we don't need to look at the 'grand scheme of things' because it simply doesn't apply to us playing in this division

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple as that, in the grand scheme of things we're ***** - so is the championship, it's an awful division which can make the most average players look half decent.

Fortunately we don't need to look at the 'grand scheme of things' because it simply doesn't apply to us playing in this division

I actually love the guy.. I look at him as an inspiration to all of those who wish to be a football..

I mean here we have a guy whose 4th touch is usually a mistimed tackle and one who seriously struggles to play simple 10 yard passes on a regular basis but more importantly has earned more money than a Doctor or Lawyer who has spent a good 10 years of their life going through rigorous and midnblowing studies..

Sammon gives everyone goofy dumbass around the world hope of living a comfortable and healthy lifestyle..

Sammon is not one of our better players - IMO Fielding, Legzdins, Brayford, Freeman, Keogh, Buxton, O'Brien, Hoganson, Jacobs, Ward, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Davies, Coutts, Bailey and Robinson are all better.

but more importantly has earned more money than a Doctor or Lawyer who has spent a good 10 years of their life going through rigorous and midnblowing studies..

And why shouldn't he?, it's not his fault clubs pay the money they do. Im sure if you had the choice Bris of  £10,000 a week as a footballer or £70,000 a year as a doctor you would choose to be a doctor????.

I guess this reply is to a few, from memory it's to Eranio (who used a youtube vid of sammon showing him missing for three yards to highlight his "qualities". It's to Notts Ram, to EKR and to a lesser extent to Cornwall Ram.

I've watched the same vid you all just watched and I've seen him involved in "key" bits of play involving at least 14 of the 23 teams we played against.

Now again I'll try to be clear and say I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, that doesn't even  get acknowledged, just sarcy replies from Eranio saying he must be mint then. Seriously, if you went to so much trouble to defend our players as you do to criticise them it would be nice.

My question was after watching that video of his key involvements are you still going to try to say he offers nothing.

Disappointingly but perhaps not surprisingly the answer seems to be yes, even when confronted with obvious evidence  people will still stick blindly to the hate conor sammon angle.

I guess this reply is to a few, from memory it's to Eranio (who used a youtube vid of sammon showing him missing for three yards to highlight his "qualities". It's to Notts Ram, to EKR and to a lesser extent to Cornwall Ram.

I've watched the same vid you all just watched and I've seen him involved in "key" bits of play involving at least 14 of the 23 teams we played against.

Now again I'll try to be clear and say I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, that doesn't even  get acknowledged, just sarcy replies from Eranio saying he must be mint then. Seriously, if you went to so much trouble to defend our players as you do to criticise them it would be nice.

My question was after watching that video of his key involvements are you still going to try to say he offers nothing.

Disappointingly but perhaps not surprisingly the answer seems to be yes, even when confronted with obvious evidence  people will still stick blindly to the hate conor sammon angle.

I certainly don't hate Conor Sammon, but I believe he is very limited. I also fail to understand how you stick blindly to the notion that he is a quality player in the face of a season where his positive contribution can be distilled into three minutes. Maybe you only get chance to watch the highlights on TV?

I certainly don't hate Conor Sammon, but I believe he is very limited. I also fail to understand how you stick blindly to the notion that he is a quality player in the face of a season where his positive contribution can be distilled into three minutes. Maybe you only get chance to watch the highlights on TV?

I watch more than just highlights.

I could have you mixed up with another Ram from Cornwall but if not, I think you might loosely know me from times past, if you are the same guy you know how much I spend travelling to watch. Time and cash.

I'm certainly not looking to row with you or anyone else over this.

I don't think I went as far as to say he's "quality". What I did think was that it's possible to miss his contribution on a game by game basis, if he does two poor things and one good thing in a game then I can understand why people could come away with a negative view of him.

BUT.... when it''s all packaged nicely into a 5 minute 40 vid (almost twice as long as you gave it credit for above) and it's showing touches of real quality, of real strength, then I don't see how it can be ignored.

It's not some youtube vid of some Polish guys best bits over a few seasons in different leagues, this is Conor Sammon doing it for Derby County. Over 9 months.

The only point I would like people to concede some ground on is to take a step into admitting he's not the "useless" player some would have us believe. At least 14 teams in our division, at some point last year couldn't handle him. That's the majority of the league. You can't do that being awful.

I view things like this, there are certain games where Conor Sammon was totally unplayable, the oppositions back four couldn't touch him. We've just got see more of those days. He has it in him to destroy teams, you don't do that by being useless either.

Try to remember that I'm aiming the vid at those who would still say he didn't contribute to us last year. He did, some just choose to miss it. Still.

Who brought this thread up again....

thought we had all agreed,

Those who like headless chickens running around aimlessly for 85 mins this Sammon is a good player.

Those who know about the beautiful game and how it should be played, think Sammon is an average Championship player.

Sammon is not one of our better players - IMO Fielding, Legzdins, Brayford, Freeman, Keogh, Buxton, O'Brien, Hoganson, Jacobs, Ward, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Davies, Coutts, Bailey and Robinson are all better.

You're completely wrong, but yeah sure.

It's a shame that some fans (like most clubs I think) seem to need a hate figure. All things are relative. Would Sammon thrive in a higher division? No, as proved at Wigan. Is he effective and skilful at this level? Yes. All this no control, headless chicken rubbish is just that, rubbish. He has reached the level of playing for his country and is very effective for DCFC. He is not a target man, he is a mobile centre forward.

Just to say, if Sammon proves some of you wrong and has a great season don't despair there is always Paul Coutts waiting in the wings for criticism.

It's a shame that some fans (like most clubs I think) seem to need a hate figure. All things are relative. Would Sammon thrive in a higher division? No, as proved at Wigan. Is he effective and skilful at this level? Yes. All this no control, headless chicken rubbish is just that, rubbish. He has reached the level of playing for his country and is very effective for DCFC. He is not a target man, he is a mobile centre forward.

Just to say, if Sammon proves some of you wrong and has a great season don't despair there is always Paul Coutts waiting in the wings for criticism.

There is a huge majority of lets face it '*****' at this club -unsurprisingly they all sit in the stands!

Who brought this thread up again....

thought we had all agreed,

Those who like headless chickens running around aimlessly for 85 mins this Sammon is a good player.

Those who know about the beautiful game and how it should be played, think Sammon is an average Championship player.

I'd prefer to think of it this way, those who understand that he does so much more than run around like a headless chicken, those who appreciate there is more than one way to play the game, those who appreciate what he does when he's playing well.

They are the ones I'd prefer to be talking about football to. They're the ones who really understand the game.

The ones who still can't admit he's got a lot to offer, they're the ones who I worry about.

Watch the vid again and tell me honestly can you not see he's got a lot to give?

I'll have another look as well, maybe I'm being too kind.

I understand what Sammon does, and it's indicative of a negative style of play. He's playing a role that shouldn't exist in a positive team.

I don't slate, boo or hate Sammon, I do laugh at him sometimes and some of his calamity football, but I do the same with Theo, did it with Manel before him, and Mikkel Beck before him...

I think the underlying matter here is that Sammon's play is not that of a 'heroic striker' who scores loads of goals and is a threat in the box, this is down to the tactics which require him to spend 90% of his game outside of the area with his back to goal.

Sammon is a scapegoat. Clough should've been facing the flak that Sammon got.

Those hyper-critical of Sammon need to lighten up a bit in my opinion. He's not the most gifted footballer we've seen at Derby but he's certainly nowhere near the bottom.

He brings a hell of a lot to the team and as those highlights show he's contributed significantly to the team's attack last season. If you watch the video which shows all our goals from the season, you'll see he was 'involved' in more than the ones for which he was accredited a direct assist too.

In my opinion Clough is still figuring out how best to play him and I don't think we quite used him to the best of his ability last season. However, I think his performances for us and ROI across the season show that he can be a very effective player and with the right service and partners will do well at this level. I can't see how anyone can say different to be honest.

And for the record I would say his first touch is inconsistent, not awful, that would imply he can't control the ball at all and that's simply not the case. When it's played up to him properly he can be a decent link up man, the evidence from those videos is there to show that.

I just don't see the point in so many people focusing on the negatives of one player, all players have faults, what is the point in constantly highlighting Sammon's?

Interesting to see him with Russell next year. Will be pretty scary for some defences as they're both pretty quick and hard workers. What I like about the Russell signing is he's similar to Sammon but compliments him. Sammon's more of a big bruiser while he's quite nippy.and looks like he's got a decent touch and finish.

One of them (being honest probably Russell) will score far more goals, but together will be IMO a good strike partnership.

I understand what Sammon does, and it's indicative of a negative style of play. He's playing a role that shouldn't exist in a positive team.

I don't slate, boo or hate Sammon, I do laugh at him sometimes and some of his calamity football, but I do the same with Theo, did it with Manel before him, and Mikkel Beck before him...

I think the underlying matter here is that Sammon's play is not that of a 'heroic striker' who scores loads of goals and is a threat in the box, this is down to the tactics which require him to spend 90% of his game outside of the area with his back to goal.

Sammon is a scapegoat. Clough should've been facing the flak that Sammon got.

I don't agree with you there Mostyn, we scored a good amount of goals last season and Sammon was heavily involved in creating chances, scoring etc. How can that be negative football?! Last season home and away was some of the best attacking, possession football we've played in a long while. Sammon was pretty integral to that as the video shows.

Sure he works hard, pressurises people, holds the ball up, runs channels etc. but I don't think you can class that as 'negative'. Putting pressure on the opposition high up the pitch is actually a rather positive tactic and can create much more attacking opportunities than if he just stood around waiting for the ball.

Archived