The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

The year before that he was injured A LOT - but was still first choice whenever he was fit.

There was never a time where Kris Commons wasn't first choice for us when 100% - I am completely sure on that.

I suggest your memory is playing tricks on you.

Just to add, the reason i remember so vividly is that I was so anti Stephen Pearson, and the forums were so anti Gary Teale, that I was championing the campaign to get Commons starting, to which the Clough-apologists were adamant that Commons was crap and should go back to being a red dog as he'd only done one thing (score v Man United) at that point.

I remember having lenghty debates about it where all things were bought up, such as why he was off form prior to being dropped, and excuses like depression, anniversary of the death of his child, addiction to bigmacs etc were used to criticise him. Only a few months later, he was the golden child .. "he plays on the left...."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add, the reason i remember so vividly is that I was so anti Stephen Pearson, and the forums were so anti Gary Teale, that I was championing the campaign to get Commons starting, to which the Clough-apologists were adamant that Commons was crap and should go back to being a red dog as he'd only done one thing (score v Man United) at that point.

I remember having lenghty debates about it where all things were bought up, such as why he was off form prior to being dropped, and excuses like depression, anniversary of the death of his child, addiction to bigmacs etc were used to criticise him. Only a few months later, he was the golden child .. "he plays on the left...."

Nigel Clough, kept Commons in his new role and he played alongside Rob Hulse in Derby's attack for the rest of the season. Commons enjoyed his best form of the season in Clough's first few months in charge, scoring the winner against Coventry City,[18] and netting twice in a 4–1 rout ofBlackpool.[19] He also scored the winner in a 3–2 win over Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup Fourth Round replay, as Derby came from 2–0 down to claim a first win at The City Ground for over 30 years.[20] Derby fans named the goal the seventh greatest in the club's history, behind Commons' goal against Manchester United in the League Cup in joint fifth, in a poll as part of the club's125th Anniversary celebrations.[21] Commons' rich vein of form was curtailed when injury ruled him out for six weeks at the end of February before returning to the side for the final eight games of the season. He ended his first season at Derby with five goals from 30 league starts.[citation needed]

175px-Kris_Commons
magnify-clip
Commons warming up for Derby.

Commons began the 2009–10 season alongside Hulse as Derby beat Peterborough United 2–1.[22] Commons grabbed his first of the season in the following match, as Derby lost 3–2 away to Ssausagehorpe United[23] but, once again, injury curtailed Commons productivity as he appeared in just one match between 20 October and 2 January, a 0–0 draw away to eventual champions Newcastle United, where he came on as a 69th minute substitute.[24] An extended run in the first team followed and Commons once again approached his best from and helped revive Derby's stuttering campaign and dragged them away from the relegation zone, netting in a 3–0 home win over Newcastle[25] and a 5–3 victory over Preston North End,[26] as well as providing the assist for Rob Hulse's winner as Derby beat Nottingham Forest 1–0 and ended their rivals' 19 match unbeaten streak.[27] However, an injury sustained in the first half of a 1–0 home defeat to Swansea City on 20 February ruled Commons out until the final game of the season, against Cardiff City on 2 May, as Derby avoided relegation for the second time in two seasons. Commons completed a full 90 minutes on just one occasion and managed just 11 league starts and a further nine substitute appearances, scoring three times.

I think it's the latter paragraph you're on about, and he wasn't out of favour - just severe fitness, think Clough even admitted to having him on the bench just so he could play for 10 minutes carrying an injury which lead to 'if his fit enough to be on the bench, his fit enough to play' and criticism of playing injured players (which I was one of)

As I said, when 100% he was first choice. 

I also found this on the 'contract' situation... 

CELTIC'S new winger Kris Commons has come under fire from Derby County manager Nigel Clough. Commons quit Derby on Friday to make a £300,000 move to Celtic, leaving Clough fuming. Commons would have been out of contract at the end of the season and Derby matched his demands for a new deal and added an extra year to the agreement.

Clough thought he would sign the deal, only for Commons to opt for the move to Parkhead. Clough said: "I am surprised by the outcome because for the last four to six weeks, he (Commons] has been telling us and everybody else that he loved the club, loved the supporters, loved the training, loved everything about the place.

"He thought we had a good chance of getting promoted in the next season or two and as long as we matched this figure he had in mind for his contract, then he would absolutely love to stay. We matched what he wanted to the penny. And we also put an extra year on the contract, which he didn't stipulate but mentioned. So to play safe, the extra year was put on.

"We did all we could to keep Kris. I really don't think we could have done any more. We would maybe have lost out in different ways, looking ahead to next season, because it was a huge figure in our current wage structure. To go to those lengths and put that on the table and for him to then turn it down was extremely disappointing."

"Do we feel we have been played? In some ways. I don't know if played is the right word but when you look back at what Kris has done over the last few years at different clubs, then maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

I think you get caught up in the importance of internet debates. Us saddo's are a very small minority of Derby fans. Its not real life mate!

Why are mine and Amby's memory's playing tricks on us? Just because we don't agree with your recollections. You possibly made it more important at the time because you debated it at length on t' net.

Relax a bit fella and prepare thysen for the next glorious chapter in the Derby County story.......i can feel it in me watter!

you do realise that is written by anybody don't you?

Mostyn, when you are in a hole, sometimes it helps to stop digging.

rubbish.

Commons couldn't get a look in pre-xmas of 2010, I recommend you look back at some starting line ups. He was out of favour with many fans critical of him at the time and suggesting he was bombed out. It was only when both Pearson (preferred on the left over Commons) and then Teale were both injured that Commons got a start.

Commons played every game bar 1 (Burnley away due to injury) from the start of November 2010 to end of December 2010. So you either have your year wrong or your memory is playing tricks on you (like mine did with the southhampton game the other day :lol: )

Commons played every game bar 1 (Burnley away due to injury) from the start of November 2010 to end of December 2010. So you either have your year wrong or your memory is playing tricks on you (like mine did with the southhampton game the other day :lol: )

okay, I got the wrong year. I was typing in a hurry.

OH DO KEEP UP ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen something never seen before, something I didn't think was possible, a footballer with a touch worse than Conor Sammon.

His name is Jaime Vardy.

There a positive about Conor he no longer has the worst touch in the game.

Well done lad!

Sammon has looked sharp all pre season and his first touch has improved. Harsh

The Sammon-haters remind me of the butcher who, when asked by a customer whether he sells black pudding, replied "If I've said it once today, I've said it 50 times. There's no call for it around here."  

Archived