The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

I'd prefer to think of it this way, those who understand that he does so much more than run around like a headless chicken, those who appreciate there is more than one way to play the game, those who appreciate what he does when he's playing well.

They are the ones I'd prefer to be talking about football to. They're the ones who really understand the game.

The ones who still can't admit he's got a lot to offer, they're the ones who I worry about.

Watch the vid again and tell me honestly can you not see he's got a lot to give?

I'll have another look as well, maybe I'm being too kind.

It was a very much tongue in cheek post that, this debate has been done to death, and people wont change there veiws, either way based on a 5 min video. 

I dont like players who play percentage football, which is what I think Sammon is, for example he would rather let a defender have the ball and put him under pressure to win a throw in, rather than try to get there first and beat the man but risk losing the ball.

Im not denying he can be effective, and for an average champ team thats fine, but to progress at this level, for me (IMO), he is not the answer based on last season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a huge majority of lets face it '*****' at this club -unsurprisingly they all sit in the stands!

Because they dont agree with you ?

Because people dont think Sammon is a good player ?

Because they dont agree with you ?

Because people dont think Sammon is a good player ?

No, because some fans feel the need to boo and be-rate players for no obvious reason. 

We support Derby County, none of our players are 'THAT' good but I support them all the same - if people wanted world class footballers they should of supported someone else.

No, because some fans feel the need to boo and be-rate players for no obvious reason. 

We support Derby County, none of our players are 'THAT' good but I support them all the same - if people wanted world class footballers they should of supported someone else.

I didnt hear any booing where I sat, be-rate players ? Depends what you mean.

what did you do when you were Manager and a player didnt do something right, tell him not to worry ?

On the plus side, I see Bryson has signed a new contrac, not see it posted anywhere ?

I didnt hear any booing where I sat, be-rate players ? Depends what you mean.

what did you do when you were Manager and a player didnt do something right, tell him not to worry ?

On the plus side, I see Bryson has signed a new contrac, not see it posted anywhere ?

I hear constant amounts of abuse thrown at Sammon and Clough where I sit - on previous occasions I've even heard sick chants thrown at Nigel, but that's the joy of a Derby fan. I guess.

and think it was announced a while ago, so for the majority of people it's not new news. 

I don't rate Sammon very highly and am of the opinion that those who do either know little about the game, allow their optimism to cloud their judgement, don't go to games or are trying man-management techniques in the hope of bringing out the best of him. However, I'm just an average fan, so it is very possible that I could be mistaken.

Yet the funny thing is that I actually really like Sammon, would love him to succeed and vociferously defend him when non-Derby fans slag him off. If he proves me wrong then I'll be overjoyed. There is no argument from anyone about his effort. He tries his best every time he pulls on a Derby shirt - so he'll always get my support at games. It's not his fault that he is limited and IMO, being utilised badly.

On here I criticise him - and find those who complain about such criticism (as opposed to disagreeing with it) somewhat tedious. What a pointless virtual space this would be if we could only say nice things about DCFC players. Yet as soon as an 'outsider' slags off anything to do with the club I become the blindest of all bind-faithers.

oh and Ronnie - I think that you'll find the vid contains about 3 minutes of real-time footage with the rest being replays...and I also have no wish to fall out with anyone. I'm happy to debate all day  long with someone who remains reasonable - such as your good self.

I hear constant amounts of abuse thrown at Sammon and Clough where I sit - on previous occasions I've even heard sick chants thrown at Nigel, but that's the joy of a Derby fan. I guess.

and think it was announced a while ago, so for the majority of people it's not new news. 

now where I sit it dont and I sit near to some vocal people, ey Boycie ?

so Im not sure how you get to the majority of Derby fans ?

It was a very much tongue in cheek post that, this debate has been done to death, and people wont change there veiws, either way based on a 5 min video. 

I dont like players who play percentage football, which is what I think Sammon is, for example he would rather let a defender have the ball and put him under pressure to win a throw in, rather than try to get there first and beat the man but risk losing the ball.

Im not denying he can be effective, and for an average champ team thats fine, but to progress at this level, for me (IMO), he is not the answer based on last season.

Interesting that Giovanni Trapattoni with his almost 40 years management experience including some of the top clubs in Europe thinks differently to you, and that he is good enough to be playing in the Premier League. Sammon is a tad unorthodox but he is very effective in what he does. I would like to see him shoot more instead of being selfless with the chances but that will hopefully come.

Interesting that Giovanni Trapattoni with his almost 40 years management experience including some of the top clubs in Europe thinks differently to you, and that he is good enough to be playing in the Premier League. Sammon is a tad unorthodox but he is very effective in what he does. I would like to see him shoot more instead of being selfless with the chances but that will hopefully come.

I presume you rate Simon Cox then, after all he is picked above Sammon for his country ?

Or is it that Ireland dont have much to choose from ?

I presume you rate Simon Cox then, after all he is picked above Sammon for his country ?

Is he? since Sammon got into the squad, he has been prefered to cox (unless played out wide)

Is he? since Sammon got into the squad, he has been prefered to cox (unless played out wide)

As I said, you rate Cox higher than Sammon ?

Against San Marino who started ?

Regadless of where he played, unless you are saying that he didnt put his strongest team out ?

Why would you presume that?  I think that Ireland with their 5 million population plus all the relatives of relatives that qualify have plenty to choose from. I know that Sammon is quite effective, I am forgiving over his occasional stumbles (but not as many as some make out). He makes contribution to a lot of Derby's goals so is OK by me.

As I said, you rate Cox higher than Sammon ?

Against San Marino who started ?

Regadless of where he played, unless you are saying that he didnt put his strongest team out ?

Eh? 

who started against Poland, Spain and Austria? Since Sammon broke the team he has been prefered over Cox - and rightly so. 

Cox has only started outwide for ireland since Sammon got into the team, also.

Why would you presume that?  I think that Ireland with their 5 million population plus all the relatives of relatives that qualify have plenty to choose from. I know that Sammon is quite effective, I am forgiving over his occasional stumbles (but not as many as some make out). He makes contribution to a lot of Derby's goals so is OK by me.

OK Ill put it another way, who in Ireland is Connor Sammon picked above, that you can give me as a good example of Trapattoni rating him, as it was you who pointed out that he has all this years at the top level, I think darryl powell represented his country and ROI are rated 41st in the world, just behind Korea and Albania, but 8 places above Zambia.....

I didnt say he didnt make a contribution, just that I think IMO he is an average champ player, who is not good enough to take us to the next level.

OK Ill put it another way, who in Ireland is Connor Sammon picked above, that you can give me as a good example of Trapattoni rating him, as it was you who pointed out that he has all this years at the top level, I think darryl powell represented his country and ROI are rated 41st in the world, just behind Korea and Albania, but 8 places above Zambia.....

I didnt say he didnt make a contribution, just that I think IMO he is an average champ player, who is not good enough to take us to the next level.

We've got to focus on where we're playing though - if I was looking for players that could take us onto the next level (premier league) i'd be utterly depressed. 

I think you'd struggle to make a team good enough from the 'pick' of the championship - never mind just our team. 

For what we need, Sammon is plenty good enough - think about the support strikers at this level, he is one of the best in the division. I tend to agree with you, the standard isn't very good at all and in the grand scheme of things he is a poor player (that's why he cost a million, and not 10) you want a half decent player in this day and age you're looking to be paying at least 30 grand a week and over 5 million pound.

Eh? 

who started against Poland, Spain and Austria? Since Sammon broke the team he has been prefered over Cox - and rightly so. 

Cox has only started outwide for ireland since Sammon got into the team, also.

My point wasnt about who started more, just that the level of players at his disposal isnt that great.

I dont rate Cox above Sammon, but he has been put into the starting line up above Sammon, against Georiga and San Marino, and if Trap rated him so highly, he would make room for Sammon in the team, no doubt about it, especially against San Marino where goal difference could make a big difference as it wasnt a friendly.

We've got to focus on where we're playing though - if I was looking for players that could take us onto the next level (premier league) i'd be utterly depressed. 

I think you'd struggle to make a team good enough from the 'pick' of the championship - never mind just our team. 

For what we need, Sammon is plenty good enough - think about the support strikers at this level, he is one of the best in the division. I tend to agree with you, the standard isn't very good at all and in the grand scheme of things he is a poor player (that's why he cost a million, and not 10) you want a half decent player in this day and age you're looking to be paying at least 30 grand a week and over 5 million pound.

As I say, its been done to death, and by the same posters :-)

I dont think he is good enough to give us that extra bit of quality to fire us into the playoffs, Im hoping that we can find someone in the Ron Willems mould to give us that bit of extra quality when needed.  I still happily cheer him on, and support him throughout the season, and hopefully he will be in a top 6 team come the end of next season.

I love how people who dont rate Sammon are potrayed as thinking he cant even walk.

Understand this point, it's not that we dont think he doesnt contribute, of course he has positive atttributes that help the team, nobody is saying he is totally useless.

For us though, his contributions arent good enough and consistent enough for where we want the club to be, which is in the top 6. 

It's also annoying how people who rate Sammon make out they've got this superior football knowledge over those of us that dont rate him. 

I don't agree with you there Mostyn, we scored a good amount of goals last season and Sammon was heavily involved in creating chances, scoring etc. How can that be negative football?! Last season home and away was some of the best attacking, possession football we've played in a long while. Sammon was pretty integral to that as the video shows.

Sure he works hard, pressurises people, holds the ball up, runs channels etc. but I don't think you can class that as 'negative'. Putting pressure on the opposition high up the pitch is actually a rather positive tactic and can create much more attacking opportunities than if he just stood around waiting for the ball.

So you only concentrate/acknowledge the 20 minutes of a 90+minute game that we are positive then, of which most of the time, the ball is going sideways across the centre circle and not actually being used to attack the opposition area?

Trapattoni is hardly likely to admit he has duffers and cloggers in his team though is he? Well... he has!

Why do people keep refering to a 5 minute viedo to try and prove how good a player is..

When the rest of us have watched him for 40 odd 90 minute games where in the majority he has done absolutely nothing worthy of the word 'quality'

He's an average NPC footballer who was way overpriced at $1mill

Archived