The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people keep refering to a 5 minute viedo to try and prove how good a player is..

When the rest of us have watched him for 40 odd 90 minute games where in the majority he has done absolutely nothing worthy of the word 'quality'

He's an average NPC footballer who was way overpriced at £1mill

£1.2m + £800,000k Wages last season! :o

So you only concentrate/acknowledge the 20 minutes of a 90+minute game that we are positive then, of which most of the time, the ball is going sideways across the centre circle and not

You've watched enough football to know that not even the best sides in the world attack for every minute of every game!

I just dont really see us as being an overly negative side for this division. At home we were one of the top teams in the league and away i'd say we gave as good as we got in all but a few games last season, although i do think at times we can be guilty of inviting teams onto us, but mostly that's just down to the natural ebb and flow of a match.

However, Sammon's style and how he's used is probably the least indicative of this in the whole squad. I.e. He doesn't sit back and pressurises high up the pitch. That just cannot be classed as negative football IMO.

I do think you could find a better stick to beat clough with than Sammon...

Whilst I don't really rate him as an individual, I do think he's a great asset to this team. He's what I like to call an "enabler", in that he helps other people before helping himself. We saw it last season when, on numerous occasions, he'd pass when he really should have shot. I think this also contributed to how good a season Ward had (minus the ever-present injuries of course).

Next season, I think we're going to see a vast improvement from him. Not necessarily on the goalscoring front but certainly in assists and general play. This time around, he's basically going to have two Wards on the pitch with him (including Russell), both of which can feed off of Sammon and (hopefully) convert the chances he'll inevitably create.

I'd sum up Sammon with the phrase 'constant nuisance, occasional menace'.

During the back end of last season we really started to see what he could do and his performances for Ireland will have done him the world of good.

I've got a feeling Baldilocks might surprise a few next season.

You've watched enough football to know that not even the best sides in the world attack for every minute of every game!

I just dont really see us as being an overly negative side for this division. At home we were one of the top teams in the league and away i'd say we gave as good as we got in all but a few games last season, although i do think at times we can be guilty of inviting teams onto us, but mostly that's just down to the natural ebb and flow of a match.

However, Sammon's style and how he's used is probably the least indicative of this in the whole squad. I.e. He doesn't sit back and pressurises high up the pitch. That just cannot be classed as negative football IMO.

I do think you could find a better stick to beat clough with than Sammon...

This is going to be controversial cos I know people like to rewrite history, and only the really honest amongst you will admit I'm being honest, Nigel Clough's teams play less attacking football than the Billy Davis promotion team!

Possession is NOT the same as attacking/positive football. When we had Stead, Lupoli, Barnes, Oakley, Pesc etc we attacked a lot more and were a lot more positive for longer in the game than we do now under Clough. Yes, Billy often shut up shop, but NEVER protested a draw (only a lead), and never for the length of time that Clough's team does.

Would that be the all out attacking billy davies team that scored 33 goals at home all season, including the 5 against Colchester.

Compared to this seasons negative total of 43.

I'm treading carefully of course, I wouldn't want to get it controversially wrong and attempt to re-write history.

Would that be the all out attacking billy davies team that scored 33 goals at home all season, including the 5 against Colchester.

Compared to this seasons negative total of 43.

I'm treading carefully of course, I wouldn't want to get it controversially wrong and attempt to re-write history.

I didn't say 'successful' when attacking/positive, Did I?

So Nigels teams are set up to be negative AND play less attacking football yet somehow that negative football produces 10 (TEN) more goals than the attack minded promotion winning side over a 23 game season.

Proving that Cloughs either an efficient genius or Davies is a wasteful wazzock.

Pehaps even both.

I wasn't comparing the achievments. Neither were you.

I was commenting on your remark about the style of football under both. Negative Nigel v's Gung Ho McTavish.

Wildy exaggerated especially when you consider the comment about others wanting to re-write history.

I think you've gone a bit gooey eyed over the past.

I wasn't comparing the achievments. Neither were you.

I was commenting on your remark about the style of football under both. Negative Nigel v's Gung Ho McTavish.

Wildy exaggerated especially when you consider the comment about others wanting to re-write history.

I think you've gone a bit gooey eyed over the past.

What is wildly exaggerated? I never called them Negative and Gung Ho respectively!

Just saying people make out Nigel's teams are positive, when they're less positive than a side that was known as negative.

Davies hit the ground running, promotion first season, got us organised and winning within a few months.

Clough has had 5 years and 80+ players...... big difference.

Did you include the 35 or so ne'erdowells who were here when he arrived, because I would not pay a single one of them in washers. 

So Nigels teams are set up to be negative AND play less attacking football yet somehow that negative football produces 10 (TEN) more goals than the attack minded promotion winning side over a 23 game season.

Proving that Cloughs either an efficient genius or Davies is a wasteful wazzock.

Pehaps even both.

It's easy to pick up on little stats like that..

Derby under BD scored 29 away goals whilst last season under NC only scored 22.. Our GD for away games last season was -18, where as under BD it was plus 2.. That's a massive difference..

I've mentioned a fair few times that NC's Derby County away record has to be the most negative over the past 20 years.. Whilst everyone naturally attacks at home, you can really tell a teams approach due to their away games.. And Derby under NC have been so negative over the past 5 years..

It's also worth mentioning that BD's side failed to score in only 9 games that season.. Last season we failed to score in 10..

Although neither is as bad as the season before.. A whopping 16 games..

It's a good job a fair few last minute goals saved our bacon last season.

By the way I'm not saying either one is more attacking than the other.. Just how it's easy to find the stats you want and ingnore the rest to back up an arguement..

Archived