Players you forgot they played for us

rynny

9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Sorry I was actually referring to when Cowans played for us. 

Aaaah Sid! No we made the playoff final under Roy Mac/Cox in '94ish, might need correcting there, but I know I was a teenage lad ... but as you know, ultimately lost out. I used to really like him, oozed class on the ball.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

We actually barely avoided the drop into the third tier in Burley's first half season, Reich was part of the reason we managed to survive. Added a spark. Then the season after we finished fourth. Built a decent little side did George Burley.

In burleys first season, is that when signing Pesch, and then Osman on loan single handledly kept us up?

9 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Aaaah Sid! No we made the playoff final under Roy Mac/Cox in '94ish, might need correcting there, but I know I was a teenage lad ... but as you know, ultimately lost out. I used to really like him, oozed class on the ball.

Cowans' only goal for us came in the home leg against Millwall.

For some reason i remember the 2nd leg much more, maybe its the scoring 3 goals away from home in the first half, and the constant attempts by them to get the game abandoned by running on the pitch and then there was the turning over of the radio derby car !
The fact ITV did a hightlights package of the 2nd leg and you can still see it on youtube now probably makes it even fresher in the memory.

13 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Cowans' only goal for us came in the home leg against Millwall.

For some reason i remember the 2nd leg much more, maybe its the scoring 3 goals away from home in the first half, and the constant attempts by them to get the game abandoned by running on the pitch and then there was the turning over of the radio derby car !
The fact ITV did a hightlights package of the 2nd leg and you can still see it on youtube now probably makes it even fresher in the memory.

I was there that night. WHAT a display ... and what a scary experience trying to get out the ground!!

Not sure if he's already been mentioned, but this lad is the only Peruvian I can recall playing for us :-

Gianfranco Labarthe Tomé

Only played a few games early in George Burley's reign, whilst on trial. 

Skillful, but a bit too lightweight. 

Currently playing in the Peruvian Premier League for Deportivo Municipal.

Shouldn't have mentioned him really, because I hadn't forgotten that he played for us!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 14:44, ollycutts1982 said:

Every player who played in THAT season in the PL. Purely due to the fact that I've erased the whole episode from my memory.

Unfortuntely "that stat" is rolled out during every Sky tv appearance. It was v Brum.

A couple of overidding memories I have from that season. Particularly from say March onwards,

1) I was immune from our results and every defeat, i stopped caring.

2) because of the above, this was the first season when I had no interest in our season, and it felt like we werent even playing. So as I watched the developments of the premierleague or indeed any other division and the promotion and relegations play out it really did feel like Derby had taken the season off, and there was no Derby County in the football league at all, that felt very strange indeed.

11 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Saw a post about Michael Hoganson earlier, just honestly baffled was he any good? See he had a loan at Alfreton circa 2014 and just vanished.

I guess not then.

I seem to remember him playing a couple of times when injuries and suspensions really hit us hard. Don't think he did too badly when he played, but Clough obviously thought he could get better and in fairness, he did when he found Forsyth.

Archived