Steve coppell - DOF

FrostedRam

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Until he showed up on telly at the Cup Final, plenty of people probably thought Coppell was dead. He'd certainly vanished from the football consciousness. One reason I wouldn't go near him now is that he's a habitual quitter of jobs. Another is that it suggests to me he'd come as a package with Wassall.

When Harry and Dazza were working together, they contrived to make some awful decisions; I see no reason why Coppell and Wassall wouldn't carry on doing the same. Besides, the pairing sounds as 1980s as Hoddle and Waddle - and equally embarrassing.

Steve Coppell has been managing or a Direvtor of football until 2014... So quite active compared to some like Alan curbishley

28 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Steve Coppell has been managing or a Direvtor of football until 2014... So quite active compared to some like Alan curbishley

Indeed. 18 months at League 2 Crawley and then 3 months at League 2 Portsmouth. I thought the intention was for a DoF to provide continuity but both times he's left with the manager. In both cases that manager was someone called Richie Barker. They had a terrible record together.

At the end of the day, we get who Mel chooses to appoint to a position which he believes is for the betterment of the club.

You then have a very simple choice - am I really a Derby fan, in which case I will continue to support the club, players and management - or am I not?

There are no half-measures in my mind.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

At the end of the day, we get who Mel chooses to appoint to a position which he believes is for the betterment of the club.

You then have a very simple choice - am I really a Derby fan, in which case I will continue to support the club, players and management - or am I not?

Well said ! 

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Exactly. We may or may not have our own preferences but once the new guy is installed it's as simple as Eddie states!

25 minutes ago, eddie said:

Pffft.

Half mind ;)

Reading the forum it appears no one clear candidate appeals to the majority of us and as we have had several months to debacle the I issue it has created more opinions and view points to what we expect.

Expectations have been further increased by the fact SM was relatively high profile ex England manager and PC was considered to be the messiah with a unsurpassed Cv of coaching skills.

Who ever we get will probably not be to the majority of fans ideal replacement,but must be given a chance and full support until proven other wise.

A difficult decision for the board,and despite the large number of names thrown in the hat how many would want the job for the right reasons? Or indeed consider the job after the departure of two managers who from the outside many would consider to be doing well before being given the boot.

Just hope we get an anouncement soon.Personally i think Martinez will be joining us ,as experienced safe pair of hands generally well respected by his previous chairman and would probably accomadate Mel and his requirements.

Unless we get someone who's got street cred and appeals to the generation who are embarrassed in front of their Man Utd mates I will not renew my season ticket.

Well, I would if I hadn't already done it.

Who do the young guys with big beards want?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

The weasel word in this post is 'really' . Sorry but after over 50 years watching the club, I will always be a Derby supporter. I will support the team but I will make my own mind up . Just cos Mel bought the club does not mean he can buy my personal choice - he will not necessarily be here for too long, most of our owners haven't been . The degree of my support will be determined by me. Was I not a real Derby fan when I booed Phil Brown on that infamous night. 

Mel will choose who he wants and lets hope he doesn't make another mistake like the choice of Clement was. There are and have been many football supporters who have not been in favour of how their club was being run . 

'There are no half measures'  indicates you and your mind have been bought. We don't have to be mindless to be supporters.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

So when the 3 amigos took control, as a fan you were right behind them? Should the dirties back everything Cellino does? Is the judgement of Fawaz infallible for the Gumps?

Of course Mel is a fabulous owner when compared with those other examples, but I support Derby County and not the owner (who will move on at some point while my club will remain) and I don't suspend my faculties if someone who happens to be in charge makes a poor decision.

I hope Mel makes a good decision the majority of clear-thinking fans can get behind and be excited by. Time will tell.

So we are looking to bring in an old experienced head who hasn't really been involved for a couple of years and their best days are well and truly behind him?

Sounds like Jim Smith to me. And the supporter reactions are the same as then too.

I agree with @Eddie, none of us are as football savvy as we like to think, therefore let's give whomever the appointment is appropriate time and backing to make their mark and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

And comparing the current situation to the 3 amigos is frankly laughable.  Mel is hugely benevolent and is bankrolling us for millions.

All this butt hurt "because we haven't selected my favourite choice" needs to stop.  We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes regarding conversations about who is available and what their vision for the club might be.

Support your team and anyone in it, until they give you justifiable reasons not to.  That way a lot of supporters might give the players and management a chance to perform in a positive environment rather than victimisation of players because they don't meet your sense of entitlement.

Two good posts there lads, have a like. 

Maybe Mel is thinking along the Pearson lines and because he thinks he could be a loose cannon he's thinking of a wise old head to kind of keep him in check, who knows ?

Patience is the name of the game at the minute, we'll find out how Mel is thinking in due course.

6 hours ago, DRBee said:

'There are no half measures'  indicates you and your mind have been bought. We don't have to be mindless to be supporters.

Been bought by who?

He has had the same opinion as long as I have been reading this forum.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

So when the 3 amigos took control, as a fan you were right behind them? Should the dirties back everything Cellino does? Is the judgement of Fawaz infallible for the Gumps?

Of course Mel is a fabulous owner when compared with those other examples, but I support Derby County and not the owner (who will move on at some point while my club will remain) and I don't suspend my faculties if someone who happens to be in charge makes a poor decision.

I hope Mel makes a good decision the majority of clear-thinking fans can get behind and be excited by. Time will tell.

I think Eddie is saying he will get behind the manager and players whoever is in charge, rather than the chairman.

Archived