Daily Star Exclusive: McClaren will join Newcastle this summer on one condition

Ambitious

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old man keeps saying "Why would anyone from the Premier League want McClaren if we don't get promoted? He's a manager that's taken a team to a losing playoff final and then failed to get promotion with one of the stronger squads in the league..."

Which is an interesting thought... Maybe he refuses to rule out a move because Mr Rush was expecting promotion by now?

I hope not... but it's a thought...

I'm just going to wait till the summer now to see what happens before I turn on McClaren or not its like a month away so we shouldn't have too much longer to find out. If the daily star stays it has an exclusive that doesn't even quote anyone then it must be very exclusive because no one knows about it. If its all paper talk there is no point accusing Mac of anything until it happens. 

​So injuries are not are more plausible reason for our free fall? ( and the fallibility of some of our players?)

On many messageboards fans are claiming to have heard something .... like 'it's a done deal', 'a friend has been told by George Thorne' . Many of these stories are just contradictory. The same inconsistencies in the stories in different papers.

Who knows what the truth is but the willingness of some Rams fans to accept and grow these rumours is pathetic.

​True I never believed and was presuming the papers are putting 2+2=5. Guess hearing it from the papers for a while and fans after the game claiming it. Then the commentator on Saturday also suggestiong something might be happening kinda makes you think?

Of course most likely will be lies any way.

Billy Bragg – It Says Here

It says here that the Unions will never learn
It says here that the economy is on the upturn
And it says here we should be proud
That we are free
And our free press reflects our democracy

Those braying voices on the right of the House
Are echoed down the Street of Shame
Where politics mix with bingo and tits
In a strictly money and numbers game

Where they offer you a feature
On stockings and suspenders
Next to a call for stiffer penalties for sex offenders

It says here that this year's prince is born
It says here do you ever wish
That you were better informed
And it says here that we can only stop the rot
With a large dose of Law and Order
And a touch of the short sharp shock

If this does not reflect your view you should understand
That those who own the papers also own this land
And they'd rather you believe
In Coronation Street capers
In the war of circulation, it sells newspapers
Could it be an infringement
Of the freedom of the press
To print pictures of women in states of undress

When you wake up to the fact
That your paper is Tory
Just remember, there are two sides to every story

Billy Bragg - It Says Here (Live on BBC Breakfast Time 1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvi9DjmINpA

Danny Murphy explains why Steve McClaren would struggle at Newcastle

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/20/danny-murphy-explains-why-steve-mcclaren-would-struggle-at-newca/

Former England man Danny Murphy feels Steve McClaren would have a problem as manager of Newcastle United.

Former Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy explained on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show for talkSPORT why he feels Steve McClaren would struggle at Newcastle United.

McClaren has been linked with the top job at Newcastle by the Shields Gazette among other papers and while complimentary of his old boss’, Murphy feels there is a problem at the Magpies, which would trip him up.

“He’s one of the best managers I’ve worked with in terms of his coaching and his tactics, but the problem I think is the players - If they don’t change then he’d struggle,” he said.

McClaren’s current side Derby County will feel as though they have a great chance of keeping him because they still have a very good chance of getting promoted into the Premier League.

Promotion through the Championship play-offs would make it very difficult for Newcastle, or any other interested club, to approach McClaren to do a deal.

He’d more than likely want the chance to try and keep the Rams in the top flight and the chance to improve their record from the last time they were a Premier League team.

It’s impossible to predict whether Newcastle will spend big in the upcoming transfer market, because no one knows who the manager will be for next season.

Until that decision is made, the squad can’t be trimmed of players and whoever is in charge of Newcastle can’t make a decision over which areas of the squad he feels need to be improved.

Who do you think will be Newcastle manager next season?

I am not one who normally posts things on such rumours but I have heard from a pretty reliable source within the club that 'the deal is 95% done' (whatever that means!)

it means that your reliable source is giving himself an escape clause should he not goto Newcastle, it's not the shareholder again is it ;-)

​What now?

Spurs? Stable? Really? hahaha

​Don't be too hard on me, i was clutching at straws last night out of desperation.

Anyway the more i think about this scenario the more unacceptable it seems.

If he cannot commit to Derby he should just jog off to wherever and the sooner the better.

If he is committed, he should state that clearly.

it all makes perfect sense now.

get promoted and the manager stays, and the team is rebuilt.

or

fail to get promotion, the manager goes and the team rebuild is scaled right down.

Solution;

Keep palming the ball into your own net, and generally self-destruct.

I'd be quite excited if he left, good board here but I don't rate McClarens ability to sign players at all any more. Continental coaches have been doing well recently, see Karanka. Plaus we'd get 2 million out of the deal.

​really? Is that shared out amongst the forum? Or just the better posters?

I am not one who normally posts things on such rumours but I have heard from a pretty reliable source within the club that 'the deal is 95% done' (whatever that means!)

​That was not a Derby County shareholder, it was a Burnley shareholder, if that relates to the Shackell story I stand by what I was told.

I have had info from this employee before that has been correct but never really any great stories worth posting (although one was related to the Clough sacking which I shared with various posters via PM) so I don't really have any reason to believe it to be a made up story. Let's just say that people within the club are not expecting McClaren to be here at the start of next season.

The rumour seems simply too strong to ignore.

The question now, for us Rams fans is -

when he goes and then inevitably fails at Newcastle - would you have him back? (a la Nigel Pearson Leicester-Hull-Leicester fiasco)

​Nope. 

I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, but if he goes after stating his commitment to this project only a few months ago, I wouldn't trust him again. 

Sam Rush is the guy we need to hold onto for dear life. 

Archived