What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

been listening to the Zutons new album and been very impressed. New Paul Weller album is consistent, nothing amazing, but nothing unbearable. Both mentioned albums have notably good production. I think Nile Rodgers was involved with Zutons album

23 hours ago, Cisse said:

The Sweet had a number of hits with great changes in style, going from sugar pop to metal and prog rock.  It was their American release album Desolation Boulevard with some songs removed from the English release and others added from their album Sweet Fanny Adams that became my introduction to serious rock and building up the nerve to next purchase a Led Zeppelin album

I don't think they got the rock recognition they deserved

With this epic piece they showed what capable musicians they were

Radio stations would play a short version, a criminal act IMO

Strange video but it had the best audio quality

13 minutes ago, ramit said:

The Sweet had a number of hits with great changes in style, going from sugar pop to metal and prog rock.  It was their American release album Desolation Boulevard with some songs removed from the English release and others added from their album Sweet Fanny Adams that became my introduction to serious rock and building up the nerve to next purchase a Led Zeppelin album

The Sweet, T-Rex and then Slade following covers of some of their tracks by bands like Quiet Riot  were a massive influence on American hair metal bands of the 80's.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.  The ozone layer took a pounding from all those tins of hairspray. 

As I understand it Brian Connolly was a bit of a nobhead too those who were looking for advice from their musical hero on the way up.  Shame.

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A relative of my wife.  She went to a party of his many years ago and sat next to Lulu.  She was quite the bossy moose- Lulu not the wife. 

I used to live opposite Joe's original bass player, who quit the band before they hit the big time, because he didn't want all the stuff associated with recognition and fame. He became a baker. A very introspective guy, he had his own band who used to play in the local pubs.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ramit said:

Un

20 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The Sweet, T-Rex and then Slade following covers of some of their tracks by bands like Quiet Riot  were a massive influence on American hair metal bands of the 80's.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.  The ozone layer took a pounding from all those tins of hairspray. 

As I understand it Brian Connolly was a bit of a nobhead too those who were looking for advice from their musical hero on the way up.  Shame.

A factamundo , Connelly was adopted by the aunt and uncle of actor Mark McManus of Taggart fame. Apparently both men thought that McManus’s father was father of them both due to both family resemblance and talk within the family. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Spelling

On 01/06/2024 at 10:13, Reggie Greenwood said:

I love the Bowie version , but I think the Nina Simone original is an absolutely stunning piece of music. Apparently Bowie took Nina out for dinner to ask her permission to do the cover. 

I’ve loved the Bowie track for years but didn’t know it was a cover until now! Wow, what a voice and what a pianist. Amazing.