Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is that 3 in total, which is more than or the same than half of our strike force, yet he is considered 6th choice ?

I can't understand the benefit of loaning him out if we had any ambition, surely you want as many options as possible available to you, regardless of how they control a ball, something which is taken as fact, yet someone quotes something different and they are jumped upon and asked for a source ;-)

I believe that Maguire will turn out to be an astute buy. He's still young enough to become a decent player for us. ATM though, I wouldn't start him in front of Theo and Savies (if both fit).

Should he have gone out on loan? Probably not. If he comes back a more confident player and ends up doing well for us then it will be looked on as a good decision.

Scotland international striker Chris Maguire says he is relishing every minute of his loan spell at Portsmouth.

Maguire scored his first Pompey goal in Tuesday's 4-1 win over Birmingham City and the 23-year-old Derby loanee believes the foundations for a promising partnership have been laid.

"Luke Varney and I know what each other wants and hopefully we can bag a few more goals," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"The manager has given me a chance here and I'm loving every minute."

Maguire, who is on a one-month deal at Fratton Park, joined Derby from Aberdeen last summer and has scored two goals in eight appearances for the Rams.

Portsmouth fans have appreciated his application as well as his touch in front of goal, and Maguire said: "Anybody who has followed my career since Aberdeen knows I close defenders down and work hard for the team.

"Although I'm only here on loan it doesn't mean I'm not going to do that to help the team.

"As a striker to score a goal is always nice, it gives you a big lift, but I'm more delighted for the team and the fans. I've played the last two games, I'm here to help the team, and hopefully I can continue to do that."

Maguire won his first full Scotland cap in a 2-1 Carling Nations Cup victory over Northern Ireland in February 2011.

The win against Birmingham saw financially stricken Portsmouth climb to within five points of Championship safety.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17464965]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17464965

If Maguire continues to play like that he must be given a proper chance when he comes back from the loan. Maguire, Robinson, S.Davies and Ball are all young lads who should continue to develope as goal scorers. With strong and creative midfield they should be able to produce enough goals for us to go forward next season.

Scotland international striker Chris Maguire says he is relishing every minute of his loan spell at Portsmouth.

Maguire scored his first Pompey goal in Tuesday's 4-1 win over Birmingham City and the 23-year-old Derby loanee believes the foundations for a promising partnership have been laid.

"Luke Varney and I know what each other wants and hopefully we can bag a few more goals," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"The manager has given me a chance here and I'm loving every minute."

Maguire, who is on a one-month deal at Fratton Park, joined Derby from Aberdeen last summer and has scored two goals in eight appearances for the Rams.

Portsmouth fans have appreciated his application as well as his touch in front of goal, and Maguire said: "Anybody who has followed my career since Aberdeen knows I close defenders down and work hard for the team.

"Although I'm only here on loan it doesn't mean I'm not going to do that to help the team.

"As a striker to score a goal is always nice, it gives you a big lift, but I'm more delighted for the team and the fans. I've played the last two games, I'm here to help the team, and hopefully I can continue to do that."

Maguire won his first full Scotland cap in a 2-1 Carling Nations Cup victory over Northern Ireland in February 2011.

The win against Birmingham saw financially stricken Portsmouth climb to within five points of Championship safety.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17464965]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17464965

Great to see that at last he has been listening to the coaching staff and controlling the ball properly and also upping his work rate. Just goes to show that listen to those who know better and you will improve. Leave him there for another month and get him back for a fresh start at pre-season training. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Great to see that at last he has been listening to the coaching staff and controlling the ball properly and also upping his work rate. Just goes to show that listen to those who know better and you will improve. Leave him there for another month and get him back for a fresh start at pre-season training. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Hardly. Tells me he is just playing the game the way he knows best and has done his whole career.....

You saying that Pompeys coaching staff are better than ours ??

Most threads in "Rams Talk" just turn into are you in love with our Nige or Nige slept with my wife and he can do nothing right!

If you say something positive about Nige you must be his agent or are on his coaching staff!

I hope I'm in between these two opinions, Nige make's some **** decesions IMO but I can see the bigger picture and like how we are being run, think we are doing it right with young hungry players.

We are having a good season, winning games and have a chance of reaching the play offs.

How we managed this without Maguire is beyond me. If we recall him then who knows, we will surely not just make the play offs but win them and be a force in the premiership next season.

Let's just hope we can hang onto him as it won't be long till the top clubs of Europe come banging on our door.

We may just have found our savior.

We are having a good season, winning games and have a chance of reaching the play offs.

How we managed this without Maguire is beyond me. If we recall him then who knows, we will surely not just make the play offs but win them and be a force in the premiership next season.

Let's just hope we can hang onto him as it won't be long till the top clubs of Europe come banging on our door.

We may just have found our savior.

We are 12th, we are 5 points off the play offs with 9 games to go, we have lost as many games as we have won, nobody is saying he is the saviour, but with him as an option we have a better chance of increasing our 43% win rate and maybe sneak into the play offs.

Not really difficult to understand I dont think.

Archived