Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

He should be in the team, he posed more of a threat when he was in the team then the likes of Tyson, he scored as well, which when I was younger was the primary aim of a striker. He's scored 2 in 3 games now for pompey, and got a few assists to, which is more then Tyson has done. In my opinion he'd be ahead of Ball aswell. (my 3rd choice)

He had one bad game and never played again, when Tyson has hardly been inspiring!

[url=http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=422474]http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=422474 - a few portsmouth fans views.

[url=http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Maguire-On-Fire-3285.aspx]http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Maguire-On-Fire-3285.aspx

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no way is a coach at this level telling a footballer how to control a ball.

I wont believe it. You dont get taught that at 15 at sunday league level. Its something your taught as a kid and you either have it, or you dont.

Coaching at derby better not be about ball control and passing with your instep with your other foot pointing the place you want the ball. Keeping your eyes open when you head the ball. If thats whats happening at moor farm we're getting relegated soon.

Not this season we're not 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.... Let me explain for you:

The Derby County coaching staff have been trying to drum into him how they want him to play to become part of the team. In the early days he was losing the ball to often and his work ethic need some attention. Only one person could do something about that (Maguire). At last, in the last couple of months it has sunk in with him and he started to show the right application in the reserves. The best way to see if he could transfer his new found enlightenment was to put him in first team scenarios - who are Derby going to drop for him?? Best answer is to ship him out on loan where he could be watched to see if he can keep it up over a number of games. Personally, if Pompey will keep him, I would leave him there for the rest of the season and start afresh when pre-season training comes around.

What is Derby Countys overall aim? Stability and European football in the Pl is the target surely? To get their you need to constantly improve your team and move on to the next step (whatever that step would be)

This starting 11 that we have will never finish in the playoffs.. Not this season, next season or the season after... We simply need better players, players who can replace those currently in the starting 11, and those currently in the starting 11 can be used as reliable squad players..

Do you honestly think S.Davies and Theo are a promotion winning strikeforce? To say we can't replace them is daft.. We can, and we will, the moment someone better is available.. Is Maguire better? I don't know, but you can't rule it out.. Who are Derby going to drop for him? It doesn't matter who it is, as long as the player replacing them is better.. That's football. If Maguire is better than Theo or Davies, then he should be in our starting 11.

The same goes for Bryson, Hendrick, Shackell, Ward etc.. Whilst good players, to move on to the next step we need better players than these.. This therefore becomes a squad game..

On the whole, I actually think it's good that Maguire is getting first team action.. I'd rather him be playing than not playing.. And Clough seems to think Ball, Tyson, Theo and Davies are more 'reliable' so he's rotating between the 4..

If it was me Maguire would be in my starting 11 as he's technically the most creative player we have.. And Ball would be out on loan.. But that's just opinions.

What is Derby Countys overall aim? Stability and European football in the Pl is the target surely? To get their you need to constantly improve your team and move on to the next step (whatever that step would be)

This starting 11 that we have will never finish in the playoffs.. Not this season, next season or the season after... We simply need better players, players who can replace those currently in the starting 11, and those currently in the starting 11 can be used as reliable squad players..

Do you honestly think S.Davies and Theo are a promotion winning strikeforce? To say we can't replace them is daft.. We can, and we will, the moment someone better is available.. Is Maguire better? I don't know, but you can't rule it out.. Who are Derby going to drop for him? It doesn't matter who it is, as long as the player replacing them is better.. That's football. If Maguire is better than Theo or Davies, then he should be in our starting 11.

The same goes for Bryson, Hendrick, Shackell, Ward etc.. Whilst good players, to move on to the next step we need better players than these.. This therefore becomes a squad game..

On the whole, I actually think it's good that Maguire is getting first team action.. I'd rather him be playing than not playing.. And Clough seems to think Ball, Tyson, Theo and Davies are more 'reliable' so he's rotating between the 4..

If it was me Maguire would be in my starting 11 as he's technically the most creative player we have.. And Ball would be out on loan.. But that's just opinions.

I don't think I disagree with any of that apart from your last paragraph, but as you say, it is just opinions. Oh and the bit about 'who are we going to drop for him' of course, I don't think that with their recent scoring record either Theo or Steve Davies should be dropped. Nigel Clough has on more than one occasion said that if we were still allowed the 7 subs he would have been on the bench. And before I forget, I don't see Maguire as being that technically gifted and I find it difficult to comprehend how other people can. Apart from those minor points we are on the same page.

Whoa there my friend. I just said that I don't see him as being technically gifted. I wasn't trying to rate other players.

I hope he comes back and is a roaring success, if that is the case I don't care who he replaces.

Well when clough signed him he said and I quote

"He is a creative player and someone who can bring a spark to the team."

Also has he now got a better goals per start ratio than Davies or theo this season. (I actually don't know the answer btw)

Given that ball is out for sat, Tyson hasnt scored for how long, for me it would have made sense to have him in our squad rather than pompeys, but football is all about opinions I suppose.

True they are doing well at the moment but what about the rest of the season like when robbo and stevie D were injured they have only played about 20 games each so that doesn't really justify why Maguire has only started 2 games

It's been justified by his performances and application in training, 400k spent on maguire in the summer... the amercians seem all happy smiley but they've basically blown 400k on a reserve player, they will have been asking questions about this... and Clough as stubborn as he seems, would love to play maguire so it doesn't seem like he has spunked 400k away, the reason maguire hasn't been playing is because Clough thought he'd be better off playing other players in his position and playing him would of hindered us more than helped us.

I don't see why people are harking on at Tyson either, he has hardly done a bad job... a lot of the time he is chasing punts over his head, he hasn't done brilliantly but there is certainly a good player in him, as there is with Maguire... application is everything at this level, the application he is showing now is to show people he is good enough to be a starter and he is stubborn enough to let that be known.

I hope Maguire can come good, one thing I am certain of is as soon as he shows he is good enough to play, he will play. I can't see what Clough would get out of wasting 400k on a player and playing him in the reserves if he was good enough for our first team, it's senseless... with Maguire it is certainly about application more than ability, he has a lot of ability.

Just read a few reports on Pompey forums, they are all saying it his work rate that is the first thing they notice, chasing everything down. There is general disbelief that he cannot getinto our squad but all that has been said already.

Given Clough has already said that he plans on giving fringe players a run out as the season ends (Bennett and Hughes and he said that he was planning on giving Doyle a few games before the injury) surely this would be the ideal time to get maguire back in? If Clough had planned this all along then it makes perfect sense - send him out for a month to get games so that they can have a look at him in the side when he has had a month of first team football - I hope this is the case but am not sure. I am not a conspiracy theorist but when we have had loans out in the past (the young lads) DCFC's site reports if they play 90 mins never mind score and turn in MOM performances, the exception to this is Addison and Maguire, we all know (unofficially) that the former has no future here, I just worry that Chris falls into the same category.

On a separate note apparently Pompey have a promising young left back, maybe we can have first call on him in return for leaving Maguire there for the season. If he doesn't come back and get a game in the run in it would show very clearly that he is not in the future plans as it is likely there will not be a huge amount riding on it - I guess if that is the case at least he is pushing up his value so we could get some cash back.

No player has been out on a loan here and then really got back into the first team, I think maguie will be on his way. He did bring croft back in for a few as we had injuries but was soon on his way again

Shame if that's the case just what a waste of a good player aswell something must of cracked off between him and Clough if so

no way is a coach at this level telling a footballer how to control a ball.

I wont believe it. You dont get taught that at 15 at sunday league level. Its something your taught as a kid and you either have it, or you dont.

Coaching at derby better not be about ball control and passing with your instep with your other foot pointing the place you want the ball. Keeping your eyes open when you head the ball. If thats whats happening at moor farm we're getting relegated soon.

Yes, because if that is happening it has got us in the relegation places. Oh, wait- no it hasn't has it? I doubt it is happening, but even if it was I wouldn't be bothered as long as the team are moving in the right direction. They could spend every training session Morris dancing for all I care, at least we would stop getting injured in training (with the exception of Tyson of course, he'd still manage to).

Maguire is on loan for the rest of the season not for one month.

NC is pleased with his form and says we will look at him pre-season or another club might come in for him.

When did that happen?, I am not doubting it has given NC's comments but every other report I have read on bbc and the official site has him down as an emergency 28 day loan - Pompey fans are convinced we will take him back at the end of the loan period, seems as though they don't have to worry. Another mentioned that if they get relegated with a few games to go they will send him back anyway to save on costs...

Being negative about Derby Bris? There is a surprise. I am not sure how much you read of press releases etc but it has been said over and over that we are building for the future- Bryson is 25 and will only get better, Hendrick is a kid and is not out of place already- saying that we need "better" when they are holding their own and have nowhere near reached their potential is ludicrous. Also Shackell is thought to be one of the best CB's in the division so I don't really know how you hope to improve on this?

Steve Davies and Theo are both still young but Savies has scored 1 in 2 this season, 1 in 2! And Theo has scored 1 in 3. I know that you are trying to put a negative spin on this and make out that we need to spend money etc etc but between these 2 if they stay fit there is the potential for 38 goals. So yes, all being well they could be a promotion winning strike force. If Davies had been fit all season and continued his scoring rate we would probably be in the playoffs right now.

I don't think we are the finished article by any means but the players that we have are hopefully going to improve- Davies is 3 to 4 years off his prime, Theo even more. Hendrick is a kid, Fielding is young, Bailey is young, Brayford is young, Ward is 25, Bryson is 25, Maguire is still a kid and if he comes back and is given the chance he also has potential. Please don't come on and write this team off as they are young and still learning the game- if they learn it together with the backing of the fans they will become a very good team. At the age they are now and the league position achieved it is clear that there could be much more to come from this crop of players.

Alternatively we could throw millions at sgning "proven" (i.e. old) journeyman in a big push for promotion only to have to chop and change the squad as their careers wind down. I prefer this way- you talk of making the "next step", we have made a big step this season and I don't think that it will require a huge change of personnel to make the next one.

NIGEL Clough says Chris Maguire's sharp form and goals for Portsmouth are good for all parties, including Derby County.

Maguire is on loan at Portsmouth until the end of the season having failed to win a regular place in Derby's team.

The 23-year-old striker joined the Rams from Aberdeen last summer but he has made only three starts and eight appearances in total.

His last appearance was as a substitute in the home defeat by Hull City in mid-November.

Since signing for Portsmouth he has netted twice in three games, including a classy opening goal in Pompey's 2-0 home victory on Tuesday that lifted the struggling club off the bottom of the Championship.

Derby sent a member of their backroom team to watch Maguire in the game at Fratton Park.

"Chris did well and that will be good for his confidence," said the Rams boss.

"It has been a tough first season for him here, a tough adjustment after signing last summer.

"He has not had many chances and so going out on loan is an ideal situation. Everybody benefits. He does and we do and that was the idea.

"Whether he comes back with us and we assess him in the summer and pre-season or whether he attracts interest from other clubs, we don't know.

"But it is nice that he has gone out and done well.

"We are conscious of letting a striker out on loan when we have only got 15 or 16 fit players ourselves.

"But we have not been short of goals in recent weeks. Steven Davies and Theo Robinson have been knocking them in."

Davies has scored five and Robinson three in the last seven games as the Rams have collected 13 points from four wins and a draw.

Maguire believes his loan switch to Portsmouth has helped him to rediscover his attacking instincts.

"As a striker, you always want to score and, hopefully, I can bag a few more goals and help the team for the rest of the season," he said.

"I feel I am getting fitter and sharper and that can only help me."

On Portsmouth's hopes of beating the drop to League One, Maguire said: "We've got to take it one step at a time, but if we keep performing like we did against Hull, then we won't be that far away at the end of the season."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Pompey-loan-working-Derby-County-s-Chris-Maguire/story-15654890-detail/story.html

Archived