Martyn Waghorn

Chris Peduck

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that's your opinion. Another season in the Championship with more experience, a better team and more development(he is only 21 you know) he could turn out to be the next Taarabt....not skill wise, but impact wise.

Waghorn's closer to that stage now and we're talking a fee well under half that!

If you think we'll get him for 1.1 million i would think again.

Our first bid is always described as "derisory".

1.5 million i think they would want....i would rather have Bueno for 2 million.

Bueno's not worth £2m, no one's worth that.

For a start, that fee is already suggesting he's twice the player Taraabt is. You have to sign these players when they're worth a few hundred k, after that I feel it gets dodgy. All the Sharps, Hoopers, and Grahams of this league weren't signed by their clubs for these ridiculous fees.

I even feel a bit uneasy about signing Waghorn for £1.5m.

Bueno's not worth £2m, no one's worth that.

For a start, that fee is already suggesting he's twice the player Taraabt is. You have to sign these players when they're worth a few hundred k, after that I feel it gets dodgy. All the Sharps, Hoopers, and Grahams of this league weren't signed by their clubs for these ridiculous fees.

I even feel a bit uneasy about signing Waghorn for £1.5m.

Well this is the problem isn't it. Instead of coughing up more funds for scouts we have to look for these players when they're out in the open as it were. They're known quantities and therefore cost the earth even if they're not the finished article. That's why you get more bang for your buck abroad because nobody's paying attention to the Spanish 2nd Divison or the Allsvenskan in Sweden. That's not because there aren't technically gifted players playing there but because they don't have the same level of marketing our leagues do...

At the moment all Nigel, Simon & Tom seem to be doing is scratching their heads for a while, shrugging and saying "well we could try and get Waghorn again, and that Eustace fella did ok-ish for us the other season"...

If we was going to spend 2million, I would hope it wouldn't be on either Bueno or Waghorn infact I'd be very disappointed if we had to fork out that much on either of them.

what we have been for Waghorn should be our maximum and if we can get Bueno for around 400k then I think we should, however since it looks unlikely for either.. let's move on. I heard there is a midfielder in Scotland scoring a goal a game, he might be a good buy!

Rasisk was a polish international that failed a medical at an italian club and we managed to jump in before anyone else! Tito Villa, Mile Sterjovski, Benny Feilhaber..etc these were all high regarded players abroad who couldn't cut it in the english game.

Alberto Bueno is a very VERY talented footballer, however his impact on most games is very poor, I prefer to pick up players who I know can play to the english game.

sorry but feilhaber wasn't given a chance tbh. Also two words about froeign players marco reich

sorry but feilhaber wasn't given a chance tbh. Also two words about froeign players marco reich

Ambitious isn't saying that ALL foreign players won't adapt. Although Marco Reich was a poor example, a bit like Bueno, he just couldn't get involved in some games.

Foreigners can be a gamble, but so can home nations players - they're just gambles in different ways.

Name every decent foreign player we've had, and I can match it with a poor one. Having said that, if you did a "team of the millenium", there'd be an awful lot of foreigners in there.

Eranio, Biano, Wanchope, Asonovic, Stimac

I guess most overseas players haven't been that bad really:rolleyes:

Even Asanovic and Baiano only had 1 great season and 1 poor season where they barely played.

I would buy Bueno for around 2 - 2.5 million...he is better then Danny Graham afterall. Fee's about right........But.....

=========Fielding=========

=Brayford Barker Delaney Jones= Need to Swap Delaney and B.Jones around (Delaney is LB, Jones CB/RB)

=======Bailey Pratley======= NO Chance of getting Pratley

Burke=================Ward Really like Burke.......What's our chances???

===Earnshaw/Bueno========== Need someone who is a constant menace....Almost EVERY game!!

=============S.Davies====== S.Davies is getting there......But 1st Choice???

Promotion.

It's strange that some people think it's mad that you stating that Bueno will cost £2m. The guy is seriously rated in Spain and is uttered in the same breath as Alvaro Negredo and such likes (In terms of potential), With whom he played with. We certainly wouldn't be happy with spending that much money on him (Myself included), But Wigan were sniffing around him in January. Imagine if they wanted to sign him, I'm predicting that something like £1.5m would have been a 'bargain'. He probably is worth about £2m, Especially as (Despite dip in form) he has great potential and has shown some impressive displays as a youth.

But, I would also like to see it spent elsewhere.

I like some of the players you are putting into the team above (Although some NC positional decisions have been made :p), But I am torn between my head and my heart. Pratley seems unlikely (Which makes me laugh at the suggestions of Bowyer too). But I suppose what you are trying to say is............If you ain't in the running for a player, you can't expect them to sign.

I really am worried for next season to be fair, Better than this one (More than likely) but fears of falling short are creeping in. Waghorn WILL add to this team. And with him and ward grafting hard, it's a great start. I do think that over £1m is too much for Waghorn tho and we should eye up some other options/ask about a loan to a permanant. This (again) shows the emphasis for some kind of 'Head Scout' and/or 'Negotiator' role required. We will forever be paying over the odds for a limited list of players otherwise..

From what I have seen of Waghorn then 1million would seem about right. Not anymore though for a player who has had limited opportunity this season. The problem is though that your Billy Sharp's of this world are too expensive, Graham from Watford wants a Prem move. Mickael-Smith would be worth a shout if Peterborough don't go up depending on price. I would like to see Nugent here, I really rate him. Checking on a few pompey forums he is looking for a move away. Probably waiting on a lower end Prem club to come in for him though. Wages would also be high, but I think he would be on a free to mitigate this?

It's strange that some people think it's mad that you stating that Bueno will cost £2m. The guy is seriously rated in Spain and is uttered in the same breath as Alvaro Negredo and such likes (In terms of potential), With whom he played with. We certainly wouldn't be happy with spending that much money on him (Myself included), But Wigan were sniffing around him in January. Imagine if they wanted to sign him, I'm predicting that something like £1.5m would have been a 'bargain'. He probably is worth about £2m, Especially as (Despite dip in form) he has great potential and has shown some impressive displays as a youth.

Thing is, Wigan can take some "risk" signings of £1.5-2million. When we spend that type of money it's more than likely a good 50-70% of the budget compared to theres where it'll be between 10-20%.

If we're going to spend that sort of money on a player then they should at least be proven in this division or absolutely outstanding in a lower one.

I agree with you whole heartedly Joely22.

Just think that, That is what we would have to pay to get Bueno. I'm with you in thinking that it is too much for us to invest in 1 unproven Championship player. Let's be honest, Bueno has proved he has ability, But not that he is a 'finished article' within this league...

Archived