If you wanna stay alive, stay out the popside

IslandExile

The Popside, An area known for very vocal support among other attributes โ˜บ๏ธ, We had the Columbo End and the Vulcan End with just a very narrow fenced gangway separating the 2 ends about 5 foot high, This gangway was probably less than a couple of feet wide, Away fans in the Columbo End, Home fans in the Vulcan End.

The gangway was often climbed and jumped into by some Derby fans into the away fans...only the mental cases did this, They either got a good kicking or managed to windmill their way in and out...then back to safety.

At the back was where it all kicked off, No quarter given on either side, The police were always outnumbered, Then the realisation was a rather large fence was needed to separate both waring factions with a gate in the middle this only encouraged the throwing of a hot cup of beef tea from the cabin.

Then the middle of the Popside was split into Season ticket holders only, So a very wide section separating both sets of fans, This only antagonised DCFC fans who simply went into the Columbo end before the away fans got there for it to kick off just before kick off.

Then the Ossie end became home for the home "Lads" with a bigger fence as a barrier, And then all seats.

The song..."you'll never take the Popside" was always sung...it never did get taken, They tried even when they had the numbers ie Man Utd, Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, WHU, But were always beaten back.

Great memories from an old sodย Happy Birthday Thumbs Up GIF by mattbag3d ย ย 

I don't remember ever having trouble with the police horses at the BBG. We did have one particularly over zealous one at The City Ground one year, which was totally unnecessary as we were forming an orderly (for football fans) queue and some with kids in the middle of it all.

I always seemed to get frisked every week as we entered the BBG. When a friend commented on it the copper said that he only went for the young good looking ones with a big grin on his face. I suppose that sort of answer now would get a fair bit of abuse even if it was obviously a joke.

46 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I don't remember ever having trouble with the police horses at the BBG. We did have one particularly over zealous one at The City Ground one year, which was totally unnecessary as we were forming an orderly (for football fans) queue and some with kids in the middle of it all.

I always seemed to get frisked every week as we entered the BBG. When a friend commented on it the copper said that he only went for the young good looking ones with a big grin on his face. I suppose that sort of answer now would get a fair bit of abuse even if it was obviously a joke.

They were pretty brutal around Ivy Square, I remember one copper on horseback grabbing hold a lads hair and dragging him for quite a while, That's what you got if you had a feather cut which was for the girls ๐Ÿ˜, Me...well...I was a skin ed...B O V...V E R bovver boys is what we are...we kick like donkeys kick like hell...kick like fu**ing Colin Bellย ๐Ÿ˜ย 

Spurs had a go. Came round the back into the Vulcan and came up towards the middle. They hadn't bargained on Fagin pulling a shovel out from under his trenchcoat.

Home against Boro, Loads of us in the Colombo. The Smoggies hadn't expected that and spent the match up against the railings between Colombo and Ossie End. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

10 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Spurs had a go. Came round the back into the Vulcan and came up towards the middle. They hadn't bargained on Fagin pulling a shovel out from under his trenchcoat.

Home against Boro, Loads of us in the Colombo. The Smoggies hadn't expected that and spent the match up against the railings between Colombo and Ossie End. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I could be wrong but I think it was the 8-2 game that Spurs tried it on ?ย