Contract renewals - who would you keep?

Now that we've beaten QPR at home, and our Championship survival is all but guaranteed, we can head into the international break and focus on the real issue: The Rebuild. Nine players with contracts running out, five on loan. The size of the task keeps rattling around my brain, and we have quite a bit of dead wood to clear out. So here goes...

Who would you keep, who would you let go?

Fozzy - another 1 year deal, if he wants one. He cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

Sonny Bradley - fire him into the sun, proverbially.

Curtis Nelson - struggled a bit back in the Champ but has settled in the last couple of games. He'll be 32 by the end of the season but he's got to be worth another two years.

Kane Wilson - sign him up. He offers a lot in attack and is improving as a defensive RB.

Tom Barkhuizen - I like his grumpy face but he's a back-up at best and I'd move him on in January. Harness, CBT, and Chirewa are surely going to keep him out of the team.

Conor Washington - looked good at the start of 23/24 but it feels like he's been injured for a year and I've forgotten who he is. Transfermarkt tells me he played 22 times last season, which I honestly find staggering. Another one to go in January.

James Collins - I'd like to give him a big hug for what he did last season, and his professionalism is second-to-none, but I think we can all see he's out of his depth. He could head to Shrewsbury for a third stint and give them a couple of good seasons.

Liam Thompson - another one who'll be fondly remembered for the promotion but it's hard to see how he'll get a starting place at the moment. I think for the sake of his career, it would be a mistake for him to stay as he's never going to get 30-40 starts, which is what he should aim for. At Burton.

Rohan Luthra - honestly no opinion. He let in that awful free-kick clanger in pre-season but he's probably fine. I'd be surprised if he ever plays for Derby.

Early days, but signing Jerry Yates, Marcus Harness, or Nat Phillips on free transfers would make sense. We have zero chance of getting Ozoh or Chirewa. Additionally, Joe Ward seems to be a candidate for leaving soon - unless we have a few injuries, he won't get into the XI.

I was reading and agreeing until I saw Conor Washington - looked good at the start of 23/24. Couldn't carry on. Awful Awful player. His record was terrible before he came here, his record is even worse now. 

Nelson, one year + an option of another year based on appearances.

Wilson, 2 years

Thompson, 2 years

Forsyth is a conversation to be had, does he want to be Jake Buxton’s assistant, in the RamsTV studio with Owen Bradley and Barker, kit man, basically anything he wants to do at the club.

Think the ending of Top Gun.

Warne: They gave you your choice of duty, son. Anything, anywhere. Do you believe that s***? Where do you think you wanna go?

Forsyth: I thought of being an instructor, sir.

Warne: Top Gun?

Forsyth: Yes, sir.

Warne: God help us.

9 minutes ago, Day said:

Nelson, one year + an option of another year based on appearances.

Wilson, 2 years

Thompson, 2 years

Forsyth is a conversation to be had, does he want to be Jake Buxton’s assistant, in the RamsTV studio with Owen Bradley and Barker, kit man, basically anything he wants to do at the club.

Think the ending of Top Gun.

Warne: They gave you your choice of duty, son. Anything, anywhere. Do you believe that s***? Where do you think you wanna go?

Forsyth: I thought of being an instructor, sir.

Warne: Top Gun?

Forsyth: Yes, sir.

Warne: God help us.

Tom Cruise Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

Fozzy and his agent🤣

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Now that we've beaten QPR at home, and our Championship survival is all but guaranteed, we can head into the international break and focus on the real issue: The Rebuild. Nine players with contracts running out, five on loan. The size of the task keeps rattling around my brain, and we have quite a bit of dead wood to clear out. So here goes...

Fozzy - another 1 year deal, if he wants one. He cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

Curtis Nelson - struggled a bit back in the Champ but has settled in the last couple of games. He'll be 32 by the end of the season but he's got to be worth another two years.

Kane Wilson - sign him up. He offers a lot in attack and is improving as a defensive RB.

Tom Barkhuizen - I like his grumpy face but he's a back-up at best and I'd move him on in January. Harness, CBT, and Chirewa are surely going to keep him out of the team.

Conor Washington - looked good at the start of 23/24 but it feels like he's been injured for a year and I've forgotten who he is. Transfermarkt tells me he played 22 times last season, which I honestly find staggering. Another one to go in January.

James Collins - I'd like to give him a big hug for what he did last season, and his professionalism is second-to-none, but I think we can all see he's out of his depth. He could head to Shrewsbury for a third stint and give them a couple of good seasons.

Liam Thompson - another one who'll be fondly remembered for the promotion but it's hard to see how he'll get a starting place at the moment. I think for the sake of his career, it would be a mistake for him to stay as he's never going to get 30-40 starts, which is what he should aim for. At Burton.

Rohan Luthra - honestly no opinion. He let in that awful free-kick clanger in pre-season but he's probably fine. I'd be surprised if he ever plays for Derby.

Early days, but signing Jerry Yates, Marcus Harness, or Nat Phillips on free transfers would make sense. We have zero chance of getting Ozoh or Chirewa. Additionally, Joe Ward seems to be a candidate for leaving soon - unless we have a few injuries, he won't get into the XI.

Sibley.!

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

The first thing I'd get rid of is the first paragraph of your post.

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

I was reading and agreeing until I saw Conor Washington - looked good at the start of 23/24. Couldn't carry on. Awful Awful player. His record was terrible before he came here, his record is even worse now. 

It's a bit harsh to slag off Washington's entire career. We're all praising Jerry Yates now, but in order to match Washington's career stats, he's going to have to play 201 games in the next 4 years and score 90 goals (with a current strike rate of 1 goal every 4 games, he won't get near it).

Now, I'm obviously happy that Yates is leading the line this season rather than Washington, and I agree with the OP that shipping him out in January would be best all round, but calling him an "awful, awful player" isn't even a fair reflection of his Derby career, let alone his overall career.

#BeKind

I wouldn’t be so sure about our championship survival, according to the Burnley express super computer ( yes really) we will finish 3rd from bottom and be relegated.😳

Too soon to say for a couple.

Loans expiring and keep: Phillips, Harness, Yates
Loans expiring but returning to parent clubs: Ozoh, Chirewa
Extend: Wilson, Nelson
Undecided: Forsyth, LThompson
Release: Luthra, Bradley, Fornah, Barkhuizen, Washington, Collins

Any of those in the 'release' list can leave in January if we find replacements. Ward is 3rd choice RB at the moment. Unless we change to wing backs, we'll be looking to move him on too.

That would mean we can focus our attention on just 5 summer signings (other than making some current loans permanent). We should be looking for permanent options at AM, LW and CF for this January window too, making the summer window a little easier.

GK: Zetterstrom, Vickers, Evans/JThompson
RB: Nyambe, Wilson, Ward
RCB: Phillips, Nelson, Rooney
LCB: Cashin, Forsyth
LB: New, Elder
DM: New, Adams
CM: Goudmijn, Osborn, LThompson
AM: New, Harness
RW: Jackson, Mendez-Laing
LW: New, Blackett-Taylor
CF: New, Yates, DBrown

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Of our own players:

Fozzy - another 1 year deal, if he wants one and is still fit enough for another year. Apparently topped the running stats pre season.

Sonny Bradley - IMO, will be one of our highest earners. I'd let him go.

Curtis Nelson - both he and Cash had a dodgy start to the season but both are back up to speed. If still fit enough give him another deal

Kane Wilson - New contract

Tom Barkhuizen - Looks out of favour. Let him go.

Conor Washington - Time to come and a time to leave. For Conor, IMO, the latter has arrived.

James Collins - Another who's keep until date has arrived. Let him go.

Liam Thompson - I'd keep him but he's destined to be a bench warmer and he deserves better than that and, IMO, he'll go to get more starts elsewhere.

Rohan Luthra - We'll always have a 3rd keeper who's unlikely to play for the 1st team, maybe a spot on the bench in Cup games, the odd game in the 21s. If he goes, he'll have to be replaced and he's not on a great wage. May as well keep the lad.

Those with expiring contracts that we want to keep, I'd offer them new deals in January. If they don't want to sign, it might give PW a few less selection headaches. Play those still wanting to be here next season.

The loanees. Harness is out of contract next summer. He'd be on a free. 2 year contract.

Yates is contracted until summer '26 with a one year option. Probably one to let go.

Nat Philips also contracted at Liverpool until summer '26. They turned down £4M in the summer. Would cost that again next summer. Let go.

David Ozoh. Contract runs will 2027 so he'll go.

Chirewa. Signed a extension at Wolves prior to coming to us on loan. Won't get him.

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

Of our own players:

Fozzy - another 1 year deal, if he wants one and is still fit enough for another year. Apparently topped the running stats pre season.

Where did you see this? Warne said it was Elder and Wilson who did.

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Yates is contracted until summer '26 with a one year option. Probably one to let go.

Nat Philips also contracted at Liverpool until summer '26. They turned down £4M in the summer. Would cost that again next summer. Let go.

I'm not sure why I forgot Yates is contracted until 2026. He's clearly out of Swansea's plans, so should be available for a low fee either in January or the summer.

Transfermarkt say Phillips is free next summer though. What's your source for 2 years?