Kenzo Goudmijn

jono

17 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was at the game yesterday but the “ multi £million” Kenzo didn’t turn up . He was not marked in any special way but his miss placed passes put us in trouble . He had no effect on the game and I think Osborn would be miffed at getting dragged off before Kenzo did . One decent game against a dire Cardiff side does not make you a superstar . He has to learn quick to keep his place in the team . 

Surely though, by the same logic, one poor game doesn’t make you a flop that should be dropped. Admittedly, I’ve not got to any away games yet but I think Kenzo has impressed in more than just the Cardiff game.

It's ridiculous to single out Kenzo for criticism of the form 'he's not that great' from this match. Absolute bloody nonsense. Yates who has been tremendous and is a very talented player didn't have a kick either. NML really struggled. I could go on. It was an extremely tough match away from home which we worked very hard to try and compete in. In Particular our players really worked hard to try to keep the ball out of our net. We lost by just one goal which was a fantastic strike. Onwards and upwards

Kendo is at his best when we’re on the front foot. He finds space and has an eye for a pass.

When we’re under the cosh, he’s less effective. He’s not the tough tackling midfielder we need to counter teams like Sheffield.

I thought Osborn was a bit disappointing yesterday and we lost the midfield so everything was coming at us and we were rushed in possession.

Kenzo is a good player. We need players around him who can bring out the best in him.

He needs time to adjust to different approaches in Championship matches home and away.

A tip, there is more tackling and direct movement and passing away, positioning being all important.

Some make this adjustment, some don't, I believe Kenzo has what it takes to adjust.

49 minutes ago, jono said:

He might not be PL ready at this stage in his development but he’s got a better touch, instincts and creative flair than any player we’ve had since WH. 

Kenzo is a quality player, but as with any midfielder, you need players around him to complement him. That’s why Adams-Ozoh-Kenzo is such a well balanced midfield because all of them have a strength that can make up for another’s weakness. That balance is lost when you put Osborn in there.

It’s been obvious since day one that Kenzo is likely to take time to get to grips with the physical side of English football and as such might prefer the home comforts of Pride Park. Perhaps it’s not surprising he struggled to impose himself against Sheffield United who press very intensely and play with a lot of aggression.

He is used to having time and space on the ball and playing at a different tempo, so of course it’s to be expected that sometimes he struggles to deal with the intensity of our opposition.

Let’s see how consistent he is months down the line. I expect that to come once he is fully settled.

On 22/09/2024 at 08:55, Tamworthram said:

Surely though, by the same logic, one poor game doesn’t make you a flop that should be dropped. Admittedly, I’ve not got to any away games yet but I think Kenzo has impressed in more than just the Cardiff game.

Didn’t say he was a flop, just questioned if he would be worth £ millions in years to come . As for Will Hughes - he was playing in the Championship at 16 . Kenzo is 23 in a couple of months .Can’t remember Hughes going missing in away games . For me personally , Kenzo needs 10 games to settle in and then goals/ assists to win me over . Just my opinion. 

Goudmijn is an excellent, exciting player. We need to facilitate him and keep him on task. Harness will be the same, as and when he gets his opportunity.

There are games where he's going to be ineffective, that's football - especially in games where we are starved of the ball, where touches become a premium and where those touches he gets aren't in ideal areas of the pitch. Let's say you take him out and (assuming Ozoh is fit) you play with Ozoh, Adams and Osborn. It's a lot more industrial, certainly more physical and defensively will hold their shape. 

Horses for courses. I would think that given his talent level and the respective talent level in the squad we should be doing all we can to make sure he's supported. The thing to remember now is that the players who can consistently impose themselves at this level on a weekly basis aren't worth millions - they're worth 10s of millions and often upwards of six figures a week.