England Vs Finland

Ram-Alf

Caught the 2nd half of the match, Nothing of note in a game worth nothing of note, Beating a Finish defence that parked a few double decker buses across the 18 yard area and winning 2-0 made me think...would we have done any better with Pep in charge, Carsley looks to have given TAA a new lease of life where Southgate had almost ended his life.

I'd be tempted to give Carsley a contract and keep the stability that the players look happy with, But I guess I could have got a team together to get 6 points and I wouldn't sing the National anthem eitherAcoustic Guitar Play GIF

Gomes was a revelation and will put serious pressure on Mainoo and Rice. Madueke did well when he came on and will add to England's talented options out wide. I thought Eze was more effective than Gordon, but Grealish was again in good form. Everyone is raving about Trent, but like Saturday, he underwhelmed me despite making the occasional excellent through ball or cross. I'm not convinced about him defensively and don't think I once saw him go outside Saka to stretch the defence. If Carsley sticks with him I'd like to see much more of the good stuff.

I did think they were a little sloppy in defence in both games and that would be punished by better teams. It's something that Carsley will need to improve if he gets the job.

Thought it was quite impressive. Hard to tell against these opponents but it looked good especially missing key players. Just the intent was refreshing after the summer. I can’t imagine what more Carsley could have done? Looked like he’s doing exactly what Southgate critics asked for? 

Both TAA and Grealish frustrate the hell out of me - both loaded with ability but both seem to believe their own publicity....

TAA needs to understand that while he can ping a ball 60 yards onto someone's toe, that's not always the best pass - if there's someone 5 yards away that will help the team move forward, that may be a better choice - not so much last night, but in the second-half of the Ireland game in particular he was always looking for a worldy pass(and constantly giving the ball away as a consequence).

Grealish still seems to want to beat a man 5 times before he makes the decisive pass or shoots - his showboating slows the game down and gives the opposition time to get organised....for a player of his ability, he does far too little to influence the outcome of games.

It's an improvement but it's hard to say how effective we'd be against the likes of Spain. Unfortunately, there are no games like that lined up during Carsley's interim period as head coach.

Interestingly, I would say the style of play Carsley has implemented is very close to what Warne wasnts from us.

19 minutes ago, Scarlet Hound said:

No problem. We're in the land of plenty up here. 

If there even was an international-based add on you can just take it out of petty cash in the Prem.

You’re extras in a movie. That’s all anybody outside the elite is.

win 10 games per season, a -15 goal difference, spend fortunes on tickets, get 5 or 6 goal drubbings occasionally and target a point per game. 

You're making up the numbers. Just so you don’t think I’m a jealous Derby fan, I contribute nothing to the Rams Talk/Transfer Talk section of the forum anymore. I’m here out of habit. Consider me pretty neutral and as a neutral I can tell you that your team is the filler on Match Of The Day when people fall asleep. This is an England thread. No boasting about a finishing with 35 points and a -20 goal difference is relevant here. Go dream of a narrow defeat at Anfield in which you play well and sing songs referencing a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth

11 minutes ago, Alph said:

You’re extras in a movie. That’s all anybody outside the elite is.

win 10 games per season, a -15 goal difference, spend fortunes on tickets, get 5 or 6 goal drubbings occasionally and target a point per game. 

You're making up the numbers. Just so you don’t think I’m a jealous Derby fan, I contribute nothing to the Rams Talk/Transfer Talk section of the forum anymore. I’m here out of habit. Consider me pretty neutral and as a neutral I can tell you that your team is the filler on Match Of The Day when people fall asleep. This is an England thread. No boasting about a finishing with 35 points and a -20 goal difference is relevant here. Go dream of a narrow defeat at Anfield in which you play well and sing songs referencing a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

46 minutes ago, Alph said:

Consider me pretty neutral and as a neutral I can tell you that your team is the filler on Match Of The Day when people fall asleep. 

We should name our new doormat...Polly Filler, As he cracks us all up...I just get this feeling he's the other dog as well, They're postings are uncanny similar...Is it possible to have 2 accounts? 

4 hours ago, Alph said:

Thought it was quite impressive. Hard to tell against these opponents but it looked good especially missing key players. Just the intent was refreshing after the summer. I can’t imagine what more Carsley could have done? Looked like he’s doing exactly what Southgate critics asked for? 

Agree entirely.  There's definitely more endeavour / drive to get forward. TAA wasted quite a few long passes in the Ireland game but made several defence splitting ones last night, needed when Finland had what looked like 25 players behind the ball.  Someone quicker than Kane (e.g. Watkins or Toney) would've been onto them. In saying that he looked a lot sharper than of late.

I do get frustrated at the delays in getting the ball into the box.  Gordon, and in particular Grealish cut back, then again, then again before then playing it backwards.  Both missed several chances to just whip the ball in.  Same for TAA a couple of times.  Maybe it's because they don't think anyone has the nous to get on the end of it? 

Madueke looked good, as did Eze, but I was most impressed with Gomes.  He was everywhere and has great feet. Fair play to Carsley for giving him the chance.   

From a play/coaching perspective I don't think Carsley can do more against the opposition he's being presented. Where I think he may fall down in the FAs eyes, where Southgate excelled is being the public front of the FA.  Carlsey is a long way from a diplomat. If they do go with him, then I think they'll be breaking tradition. But then if we get the results, and the media and public like his style of play, who knows.....

27 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

We should name our new doormat...Polly Filler, As he cracks us all up...I just get this feeling he's the other dog as well, They're postings are uncanny similar...Is it possible to have 2 accounts? 

More likely they're just closely related to each other - most folk from over there are.....

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Imagine thinking a last minute dodgy sale of a 3rd choice keeper for over £20m just to avoid P&S sanctions is living in "the land of plenty". In order to do that, they only had to fork out £40m. I'd be extremely worried about their long term financial security if I were in their shoes

So by your logic Newcastle are skint as they had to sell Anderson to us before the deadline..

There's a difference between being skint and not being able to spend it due to rules.

As you were.

Am I right in thinking there was a time when Les Chien Rouge could only access one thread, in order to keep them on a tight leash?

I can see why that would have been a good idea! 👀

We’re more than capable of diverting from the thread title/topic on our own, without any help from the wan curs, thank you very much! 🙄

29 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Am I right in thinking there was a time when Les Chien Rouge could only access one thread, in order to keep them on a tight leash?

We’re more than capable of diverting from the thread title/topic on our own, without any help from the wan curs, thank you very much! 🙄

There's also a rule about folk being banned if they only come on the board to wind up others - there's very little of substance from this particular specimen so maybe it should be eradicated sooner rather than later?.....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

There's also a rule about folk being banned if they only come on the board to wind up others - there's very little of substance from this particular specimen so maybe it should be eradicated sooner rather than later?.....

I wouldn't mind, but he's about as funny as monkey pox at a Chimps Tea Party.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Doge Block GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto