Your next manager would be?

RYRAM

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My opinion (other opinions are available of course) is that I would be more convinced that it was a reaction to being dominated if it weren't for the fact that there were games last season where we did exactly the same thing, against far worse teams than we will be lining up against this season. Conceding the initiative and being reactive as opposed to proactive was a common theme last season. If Warne wants us playing proactively on the front foot then either the players aren't listening to him, and haven't been for over a year, or he just isn't capable to making them do it with enough consistency.

I think you make a very good observation at the end relative to consistency. It is probably my biggest gripe with the current crew; players and manager. One week we can look half decent and on an upward trajectory, then next time out it goes all flat.

It happened too many times in the first half of last season. Tuesday seemed to be that spectre raising its head again. I just want to see a performance with some intent on Saturday and hope it’s not going to be a repeating theme. 
I am not sure I agree about the style. No it isn’t polished sexy football but it does get played on the ground and it isn’t always lump it. I am hoping with our more mobile midfield we might see the balance become more even. We’ve been wing heavy up to now but it was for good reasons .. Warne’s known L1 promotion style but also the skill sets of players we had. 

19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I would argue that if you are relying on the opposition not finishing properly to get a result that the style of football is not suitable. For every Boro result we grind out I suspect there will be four or five matches like Watford where it simply doesn't get any sort of result at all.

Yeah sorry, I meant more them dominating on the ball but not being able to convert this possession into goals, rather than literally not being clinical. 

For what it's worth, I thought we played fairly well in both games you mention. When Jackson has looked like our only decent attacker, I'm struggling to see many realistic alternatives. Our strength currently lays in defending rather than attacking, is it really that strange Warne is playing us in a way that favours these strengths?

1 Championship-quality attacker is not enough to play an attacking brand of football at this level and succeed. Resorting to pragmatism based on this is pretty understandable. I think if we'd played free flowing football with this squad, none of our scorelines would be as tight as they have been...

Seeing as I've never once said that I want Warne sacked or actually been in that camp, I've not really thought ahead to the next one.

It will depend on what state we're in when he does leave. Even though I think it's detrimental to our long term prospects as a technically capable footballing team, we're committed to his methods for the forseeable so whoever comes in next will probably need to be have a few things in common with Warne as a n about-face in style could prove too difficult to achieve.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

This is so difficult - I’m a critic of Warne, I really dislike his style of football and I really believe we could get a bit more quality rather than fitness from our players.

However, i really do think he has been given an almost impossible task - I still can’t believe he got that squad promoted last season and we basically have a L1 squad and no money.

I honestly feel a bit of sympathy towards him, his success last season could be his downfall.

Anyway final point is that he isn’t going anywhere - Clowes understandably wants stability and simply can’t afford to sack him.

Maybe we will be some sort of L1/Championship yo yo club until we get further investment ?

I was ridiculed when I said that this years aim for me was just above the relegation zone - doesn’t seem so bad an option now does it ?!

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You say more realistic, I say more accepting of awful football. 

Genuine question: Bolton's footballing style is lauded by neutrals as being good to watch and they often receive plaudits from pundits. Would you swap places with them right now?

An alternate way to spin your comment could be: 'more accepting of success' 👀

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yeah sorry, I meant more them dominating on the ball but not being able to convert this possession into goals, rather than literally not being clinical. 

For what it's worth, I thought we played fairly well in both games you mention. When Jackson has looked like our only decent attacker, I'm struggling to see many realistic alternatives. Our strength currently lays in defending rather than attacking, is it really that strange Warne is playing us in a way that favours these strengths?

1 Championship-quality attacker is not enough to play an attacking brand of football at this level and succeed. Resorting to pragmatism based on this is pretty understandable. I think if we'd played free flowing football with this squad, none of our scorelines would be as tight as they have been...

I'm not sure it needs to be a fully attacking system to help the situation, just something a bit more controlled. Obviously I don't know what they do on the training pitch but my gut feel is that we are putting a lot of work in to defensive shape and nowhere near enough in to ball retention and attacking patterns of play. When we do get the ball back it's like we've been thrown a live hand grenade at times. Because we have been forced so deep and we do not appear to have enough guile to build our way out of that entrenched position, it just stacks up over a game putting us under heaps of pressure.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Genuine question: Bolton's footballing style is lauded by neutrals as being good to watch and they often receive plaudits from pundits. Would you swap places with them right now?

An alternate way to spin your comment could be: 'more accepting of success' 👀

Which is what his brief was when employed by Clowes, getting us up. But when there's not that what is there? You chose what makes you happy and if watching the negative game played by Warne's Derby makes you happy that is your choice. Why on earth would we swap places with Bolton, there are other ways to achieve plaudits. At the minute there's no doubt Warne is going for the sympathy vote. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which is what his brief was when employed by Clowes, getting us up. But when there's not that what is there?

You chose what makes you happy and if watching the negative game played by Warne's Derby makes you happy that is your choice.

Why on earth would we swap places with Bolton, there are other ways to achieve plaudits. At the minute there's no doubt Warne is going for the sympathy vote. 

Staying up? Which for any club with a sub-par squad, usually relies on digging in and getting results by hook or by crook.

You're more than allowed to think it's awful football, I agree it's not the most riveting watch. What I'm getting at is that the pragmatic approach at this level is even more necessary than a league below. We can't go toe-to-toe with a lot of teams at this level- so do we naively try our best but fall short, or set up defensively and do our best to grind out points?

You're absolutely right, no-one would swap places with Bolton right now. Warne is the reason for this being the case though. He's the one that deployed the tactics which saw us promoted at their direct expense. Our 'awful football' was more successful than their prettier style. Doesn't the end start to justify the means in this case, and considering the above, why we may well continue with it? 

14 minutes ago, Justa said:

This is so difficult - I’m a critic of Warne, I really dislike his style of football and I really believe we could get a bit more quality rather than fitness from our players.

However, i really do think he has been given an almost impossible task - I still can’t believe he got that squad promoted last season and we basically have a L1 squad and no money.

I honestly feel a bit of sympathy towards him, his success last season could be his downfall.

Anyway final point is that he isn’t going anywhere - Clowes understandably wants stability and simply can’t afford to sack him.

Maybe we will be some sort of L1/Championship yo yo club until we get further investment ?

I was ridiculed when I said that this years aim for me was just above the relegation zone - doesn’t seem so bad an option now does it ?!

Where has it been confirmed we have no money? Why would Clowes say we have a competitive budget? I can't think of any reason why he would say it if it wasn't true. We also got a fair few million from sell on fees recently. 

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Staying up? Which for any club with a sub-par squad, usually relies on digging in and getting results by hook or by crook.

You're more than allowed to think it's awful football, I agree it's not the most riveting watch. What I'm getting at is that the pragmatic approach at this level is even more necessary than a league below. We can't go toe-to-toe with a lot of teams at this level- so do we naively try our best but fall short, or set up defensively and do our best to grind out points?

You're absolutely right, no-one would swap places with Bolton right now. Warne is the reason for this being the case though. He's the one that deployed the tactics which saw us promoted at their direct expense. Our 'awful football' was more successful than their prettier style. Doesn't the end start to justify the means in this case, and considering the above, why we may well continue with it? 

Okay, yes staying up.

But firstly it's not a good hook to tempt in new signings. So lets offer more but Warne won't or can't (the loan that wanted more than at his parent club).

So then have an experienced manager that has a decent record in the Championship? Not Warne.

And then spend your budget wisely.

You are entitled (lol in the proper sense) to believe Warne will keep us up with his current style but I don't. And it's not just that it's an awful watch, I also think it's unsustainable over a season without an extra 'something'. In the EFL points stealing season that was the extra 'something', what do we have? 

We've done very little rebuilding and everyone has their own opinion on why that is, but it would be a fairly reasonable sized disaster to get relegated again. After all it took even Warne two seasons to get us up last time.

#COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

20 hours ago, jenno said:

I know he gets a lot of stick from some clueless fans but I would have Gary Rowett back (he fell out with Mel Morris which is why he was forced to leave).

If you don't know the real reasons, why make stuff up? Rowett by his own admission, got on really well with MM, likewise with Steve Pearce. Below is just one of many interviews where he makes that point absolutely clear. There's plenty of stuff we can blame Morris for, but falling out with Rowett isn't one of them.

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Paul Warne is a nice, pleasant man.

I've met Gary Rowett, again a lovely man. 

I'm not advocating his return, but the type of team we are now is the type of team Rowett has a lot of success with.

His Birmingham side were in a similar state to the one we're currently in. He'd make us very hard to beat, I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

If you don't know the real reasons, why make stuff up? Rowett by his own admission, got on really well with MM, likewise with Steve Pearce. Below is just one of many interviews where he makes that point absolutely clear. There's plenty of stuff we can blame Morris for, but falling out with Rowett isn't one of them.

In defence of @jenno, I had also heard from someone very reliable that Rowett and Morris' relationship did deteroiate quite rapidly after the loss to Fulham. 

Rowett went into the end of the season thinking he was going to have X amount to spend and after that game had the rug pulled out from him, apparently. 

He then gets the opportunity to go to Stoke and takes it. Fair enough. 

The hilarious bit is that Morris was then apparently about to bring in Neil Warnock until Uncle 'Arry gave him a ring. Then gave little Lamps all the money in the world that Rowett wasn't going to get. 

Funny old game. Apparently. 

39 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

In defence of @jenno, I had also heard from someone very reliable that Rowett and Morris' relationship did deteroiate quite rapidly after the loss to Fulham. 

A more reliable source than Rowett himself? 

Was it by any chance Mel? 😋

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I thought he left because Morris said he wouldn’t have much to spend. Stoke looked a decent alternative at the time.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I thought he left because Morris said he wouldn’t have much to spend. Stoke looked a decent alternative at the time.

Think that was part of it @Jimbo Ram Rowett himself has cited lots various other reasons too, but there was no major fallout was the point I was trying to make.