The Podcast Thread

I love podcasts, although I mostly listen to ones on behavioural economics and online marketing/SEO, which would bore most people here.

But I also really like Americast on BBC Sounds, which takes regular looks at American politics with Justin Webb. It's been really on the ball lately with the Biden/Trump malarkey.

Also, on BBC Sounds, I've really enjoyed the Gangster series presented by Livvy Haydock. I just started the Rory Stewart one, The Long History of Ignorance, and I'm enjoying it three episodes in.

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History is brilliant, too. I love all of Gladwell's books.

Do you have any must listens?

On 26/07/2024 at 09:37, Bob The Badger said:

I love podcasts, although I mostly listen to ones on behavioural economics and online marketing/SEO, which would bore most people here.

But I also really like Americast on BBC Sounds, which takes regular looks at American politics with Justin Webb. It's been really on the ball lately with the Biden/Trump malarkey.

Also, on BBC Sounds, I've really enjoyed the Gangster series presented by Livvy Haydock. I just started the Rory Stewart one, The Long History of Ignorance, and I'm enjoying it three episodes in.

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History is brilliant, too. I love all of Gladwell's books.

Do you have any must listens?

Really enjoyed Quickly Kevin (finished now but all still available), Conflicted is good with former Al Qaeda agent/ MI6 spy agree the Livvy Haydock ones were really good.  Few other good ones on BBC Sounds...Body on the Moors, I'm not a monster, The strange death of Innes Ewart.  Oh not that frequent but the mysterious case of Fred the head and the Gentlemen of Heigoland are really good too 

22 hours ago, stejawh said:

Really enjoyed Quickly Kevin (finished now but all still available), Conflicted is good with former Al Qaeda agent/ MI6 spy agree the Livvy Haydock ones were really good.  Few other good ones on BBC Sounds...Body on the Moors, I'm not a monster, The strange death of Innes Ewart.  Oh not that frequent but the mysterious case of Fred the head and the Gentlemen of Heigoland are really good too 

I think you saved this from being the worst thread ever. Thanks. 

The Conflicted one appeals to me. Any fave episodes I should start with?

Staples:

Other regular listens:

• Behind the Stays (relevant to my industry)
  • Founders (Analyses business leader biographies)
  • Acquired (multi-hour deep dives into famous businesses, e.g. Costco)
  • I like listening to various Radio 4 shows on BBC Sounds. The World Tonight, A Point of View, Desert Island Discs, etc

Occasional listens:

• The Football Ramble - used to listen religiously but stopped when they changed the format. Tune back in for international tournaments

Don't listen anymore:

• Peter Crouch Podcast - used to be great but got stale
  • Joe Rogan since he went off the deep end

Never listened to any other episodes of Quickly Kevin (I was born in 99 so I'm not the target market), but their episodes on the Steve Bruce trilogy were the funniest set of podcast episodes I've ever listened to, @stejawh.

I'm no fan of George Osborne or Ed Balls (particularly the former), but I recently listened to their 'Inside the Room' special on the 2010 coalition talks, with Danny Alexander as special guest, and it was genuinely fascinating.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

18 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Staples:

Other regular listens:

• I like listening to various Radio 4 shows on BBC Sounds. The World Tonight, A Point of View, Desert Island Discs, etc

Occasional listens:

• The Football Ramble - used to listen religiously but stopped when they changed the format. Tune back in for international tournaments

Don't listen anymore:

Never listened to any other episodes of Quickly Kevin (I was born in 99 so I'm not the target market), but their episodes on the Steve Bruce trilogy were the funniest set of podcast episodes I've ever listened to, @stejawh.

I'm no fan of George Osborne or Ed Balls (particularly the former), but I recently listened to their 'Inside the Room' special on the 2010 coalition talks, with Danny Alexander as special guest, and it was genuinely fascinating.

I do sometimes listen to Founders. I listen to a bunch of marketing and business podcasts. I also listen to TRIP and I've heard good things about MFM but never listened for reasons that allude me.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I do sometimes listen to Founders. I listen to a bunch of marketing and business podcasts. I also listen to TRIP and I've heard good things about MFM but never listened for reasons that allude me.

MFM is very good. It's a bit "tech bro" at times, and the hosts occasionally annoy me. But they're very impressive guys and are great at telling stories and sharing principles and ideas.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I like the cut of its jib and have signed up. 

I do like Brian Cox and I'm not sure why I've never seen/listened to this before.

There is quite the back catalogue there...going back to 2009!

Don’t do many for football, but do like Football Cliches, Under the Cosh and Quickly Kevin.

Loved a few for NFL but they’ve just killed Around the NFL which is a mad decision from the league. Waiting to see what the main presenters go and do next. 

Main stuff I go with is history and crime…

Crimetown, Infamous America, Legends of the Old West, Buried Bones, DNA: ID, Morally Indefensible, Real Dictators, Serial, Your Own Backyard, Real Narcos, Revolutions, The Clearing

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don’t do many for football, but do like Football Cliches, Under the Cosh and Quickly Kevin.

Loved a few for NFL but they’ve just killed Around the NFL which is a mad decision from the league. Waiting to see what the main presenters go and do next. 

Main stuff I go with is history and crime…

Crimetown, Infamous America, Legends of the Old West, Buried Bones, DNA: ID, Morally Indefensible, Real Dictators, Serial, Your Own Backyard, Real Narcos, Revolutions, The Clearing

Football Cliches is great. Listened to the occasional Under the Cosh, but it's not a patch on the old Magic Sponge Podcast imo.

Forgot to mention, I now religiously watch Stick to Football. The Euros editions weren't as good as the regular episodes, but last season's output was some of the best football content I've ever seen.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Not sports:

The rest is history. (highly recommend)

Cautionry tales. (highly recommend)

The running channel podcast.

The Bilge Pumps (although they seem to not recording anymore)

Fall of Civilisations (long winded, more like an audiobook)

A dream given form (a babylon 5 podcast for Babylon 5 fans)

Sports:

Fast Break Breakfast (NBA, not serious)

The Race (F1 and MotoGP)

Dirtfish (rally)

The Parc Ferme (American F1 fan podcast I've listened to for years and years)

On 28/07/2024 at 20:12, Bob The Badger said:

I think you saved this from being the worst thread ever. Thanks. 

The Conflicted one appeals to me. Any fave episodes I should start with?

Sorry on;y just seen this.It started from another podcast where there was a six part series on him being in Al Qadea and getting recruited BY British inteligence.  The Spy Who it is called, they have a few other stories too.  All worth a listen.  I've listened to Conflicted from the start and i find them all quite interesting but the Syria, Afghan ones are really good,

On 29/07/2024 at 20:12, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Staples:

Other regular listens:

Occasional listens:

Don't listen anymore:

The Steve Bruce ones are great.  The others are worth listening to if you can though.  Usually very funny.  The Barry Fry one was brilliant

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

MFM is very good. It's a bit "tech bro" at times, and the hosts occasionally annoy me. But they're very impressive guys and are great at telling stories and sharing principles and ideas.

I love MFM, I've never really taken to anything American until I found this Pod. They've both got a great sense of humour and like you say very impressive, gives you a kick up the **** when going through a procrastination stage listening to them.

In order of preference…

The Rest is Politics

Kermode & Mayo

Elis James & John Robins

The rest is Entertainment

Infinite Monkey Cage

Political Currency

Uncanny

All the above are long on-going series. Special mention to John Ronson’s “Things fell apart” for a really interesting short series on the origins of culture wars.  

Edited by Wolfie

Regularly do The Rest is Politics, Rest is Entertainment and sometimes do the Rest is History and The Rest is Money. what can I say: Gary Linekar can produce very listenable podcasts 

depending on the guest I’ll do a Marc Maron: WTF. He can drone on a bit for the first 15 mins or so- but the interviews are often compelling 

Origin Stories with Ian Dunt and Dorian Lynskey is good if you want to know the true meaning behind particular wedge issue subjects that are normally bandied about in the culture wars.

Sometimes do ‘Word in your ear’ if you like to hear to 2 old blokes yawp on about music.

i used to religiously listen to Kermode and Mayo, but I found myself knowing too much about the films I was going to watch and started not enjoying them or never being surprised by going to the cinema -I also didn’t like the way they were a bit snarky about the beeb once they left it. But I may start that again as it was wittertaining.

Desert Island Discs and I’m Sorry I haven’t a clue on BBC sounds 

Undr the Cosh - Football, some great guests from the past.

Have a Word - Comedy, Adam Rowe & Dan Nightingale

Hot Waters Green Room - Comedy, Jamie Hutchinson & Tony Carroll

Mike & Vittorio’s guide to parenting - Nothing to do with parenting, another comedy podcast with Mike Rice & Vittorio Angelone

The 3 comedy podcasts are from Liverpool and Ireland, not for everyone with the accents, all from Hot Water Comedy Club in Liverpool. I’m a Patreon member for Have a Word and they do monthly specials which are amazing.