Stefan Teitur Thordarsson - signed for Preston

Posted (edited)

Link from Denmark saying we’re negotiating for this fella, the Icelandic midfielder mentioned in the rumours thread a couple of weeks back (by @SECornerRAM). Put the article through Google translate and it says;

“Last season's trophy fighter, Stefan Teitur Thordarson, may very well soon leave Silkeborg IF.

The club from Søhøjlandet announced on Saturday evening that they are negotiating a sale of the goalscoring Icelander, and that they expect it to end up falling into place.
Now Tipsbladet can reveal that it is the traditional English club Derby County that SIF is negotiating with for Stefan Teitur Thordarson.
Derby County has just moved up from League One to the Championship after a few lean years, and in that connection the club must have some reinforcements. The Icelandic midfield profile may now very well become one of them. SIF has already prepared for a sale of Stefan Teitur Thordarson this summer by signing both Younes Bakiz from AaB and Ramazan Orazov from FK Aktobe. Stefan Teitur Thordarson, 25 years old, joined Silkeborg IF four years ago and in the meantime has scored 126 matches and 16 goals. He is also an Icelandic national team player and has appeared 20 times for the national team.”

This is what the tweet says;

Derby County have made an offer for Silkeborg's Icelandic national team player Stefan Teitur Thordarson, and a departure is being negotiated here half a year before the contract expires.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added credit for the initial rumour

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If we are the buying club it’s close, this is apparently a statement to the stock exchange by his current club. The tweet says the fee is 7 million Danish Krone which Google tells me is about £800,000.

Seems expensive if he’s out of contract in 6 months doesn’t it?

Just now, Srg said:

Interesting. Inclined to believe it with the ITK shout a month ago. 

The first tweet I shared is a Danish sports reporter with over 32,000 followers including Fabrizio Romano and Pete O’Rourke so he’s got some credibility I guess. 

Interesting if this does happen, a young international midfielder signed for a fee, exciting times. Not getting too excited though just in case it’s not us. 

He plays for the same club as Alexander Lind. When it was mentioned this week that we're looking at a striker in Denmark, he was one of the names suggested. Definitely possible we could line up a double-swoop. I can't see I've seen either play other than Thordarsson's spell vs England in the Euros warm-up game, but on paper it looks like it could be an exciting addition.

As @SECornerRAM has been on this from the start, it sounds like we had this agreed a while ago but another team got involved to complicate the deal (Heerenveen?) but sounds like we will be getting our man, more of the attacking type of midfielder so between Ebou, Gouldmijn and Thordarson then we have three very different skillsets. 

Now this is a bit more interesting than our signings so far. Obviously haven’t seen play, other than the one game against England, but he’s got decent pedigree as a regular for the Icelandic national team - and he’s still pretty young too. 

Could be absolutely s**** in England for all we know, but this is the sort of gamble I like to see us take. It’s the sort of signing teams like Brentford and Brighton would have made in the past - teams who have been successful in the Championship without parachute payments.

Pleasing to see some more imagination in our recruitment. Judging by his stats, I’d say he looks like a potential Max Bird replacement. Big pressure on him if so to be an important player for us.

11 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Think someone said we had competition from another champ club based in the North West so maybe a bit of a bidding war ?  

I’ve been doing a bit of translating from some comments on that post and someone points out that the £800k increase could be because of raising funds to buy. So it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the fee. All sounds a bit complicated to me. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’ve been doing a bit of translating from some comments on that post and someone points out that the £800k increase could be because of raising funds to buy. So it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the fee. All sounds a bit complicated to me. 

I thought it was meant to be cheap when you buy from Iceland 😉

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I tried translating the Silkeborg statement but it’s not clear. Essentially he is being sold, and a prominent football journalist in Denmark says we’re the buying club, so we wait and see if it happens with the inevitable “undisclosed fee” as part of the confirmation. 🤞 

I tried translating the Silkeborg statement but it’s not clear. Essentially he is being sold, and a prominent football journalist in Denmark says we’re the buying club, so we wait and see if it happens with the inevitable “undisclosed fee” as part of the confirmation. 🤞 

Preston are the other team in for him, apparently. 

Exciting to be linked with players like this after the last decade of mindlessly chasing the over-priced and the over-the-hill...then being skint. COYR.

I asked the guy who posted that stock exchange letter if the journalist is reliable…

Nice to know “spot on” transcends languages. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I asked the guy who posted that stock exchange letter if the journalist is reliable…

Nice to know “spot on” transcends languages. 

Reassuring. I guess unless we’re outbid or something at the last minute then maybe this one is happening