Sibley gone

45 minutes ago, Crewton said:

After his first few games under Cocu, he never found any kind of consistency in midfield - his goal and assist stats since 19/20 demonstrate that. Instead of being an occasionally effective midfielder, he became a consistently effective wing-back. I'm sorry to see him go, but I think if he wasn't "one of our own" there would be much less angst about him going. If he becomes the type of player we once thought he could be, at Oxford, hats off to both him and them and it'll be another question of what might have been.

One scarcely publicised factor - his agent is Wasserman, just like Max Bird. Motwyw.

Obviously becoming a wealthy man giving them all this advice!

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

One scarcely publicised factor - his agent is Wasserman, just like Max Bird. Motwyw.

Sam Rush was involved with Wasserman...is this right🤷‍♂️, Then moved onto Sports agency 366 group who were sold/merged with General Sports Worldwide owned by Andy Appleby.

https://flintbishop.co.uk/deals/advising-general-sports-worldwide-on-their-acquisition-of-366-group/

21 hours ago, Crewton said:

After his first few games under Cocu, he never found any kind of consistency in midfield - his goal and assist stats since 19/20 demonstrate that. Instead of being an occasionally effective midfielder, he became a consistently effective wing-back. I'm sorry to see him go, but I think if he wasn't "one of our own" there would be much less angst about him going. If he becomes the type of player we once thought he could be, at Oxford, hats off to both him and them and it'll be another question of what might have been.

As you appear to be, I am cynical about the motives of agents. However, post Cocu he was under the tutelage not of Wayne Rooney but Leroy Rosenior he clearly didn’t rate Sibley. So instead of nurturing him like Cocu was doing (and had a reputation for) they broke the lad by rewarding any sort of decent performance with a place on the bench or training room for the next match. It must have bern demoralising, especially as Sibley was able to watch the likes of Tom Lawrence and Conor Hourihane underperform week after week and still be first on the team sheet. Nothing changed under Warne because Sibley didn’t suit Warne’s original preference for kick and rush. And even if he did start at AM, he would virtually always be first to be subbed, regardless of who had actually been playing poorly.

The fact that he willingly gave his all whatever was asked of him was remarkable given the way he was treated. You, like many say that he never showed consistency, but that was only because he was either out of position, out of the team or benched at the first opportunity.

I am surprised he didn’t ask to leave sooner. Let’s hope his new boss was telling the truth in offering him midfield opportunities at Oxford.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

As you appear to be, I am cynical about the motives of agents. However, post Cocu he was under the tutelage not of Wayne Rooney but Leroy Rosenior he clearly didn’t rate Sibley. So instead of nurturing him like Cocu was doing (and had a reputation for) they broke the lad by rewarding any sort of decent performance with a place on the bench or training room for the next match. It must have bern demoralising, especially as Sibley was able to watch the likes of Tom Lawrence and Conor Hourihane underperform week after week and still be first on the team sheet. Nothing changed under Warne because Sibley didn’t suit Warne’s original preference for kick and rush. And even if he did start at AM, he would virtually always be first to be subbed, regardless of who had actually been playing poorly.

The fact that he willingly gave his all whatever was asked of him was remarkable given the way he was treated. You, like many say that he never showed consistency, but that was only because he was either out of position, out of the team or benched at the first opportunity.

I am surprised he didn’t ask to leave sooner. Let’s hope his new boss was telling the truth in offering him midfield opportunities at Oxford.

We will see won't we.🤷‍♂️

There's no doubting his commitment, his loyalty and that he was capable of moments of magic.

I just haven't seen a rounded player, with the tight control, skills, and athleticism to move any higher up than where he is now. 

Several managers have seen him at close quarters and agree. 

But if he does go on to prove himself as at that level, then I'd be chuffed for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2024 at 08:55, angieram said:

There's now a vacancy for a footballer on my home screen. No candidates so far.

I hope we get at least one player who can deliver some sparkle next season because hard-working athletes don't necessarily ignite the passion in one's soul. 

I should have listened more closely when Louie told us he wanted to play in the Championship in midfield - he has his wish now, regrettably not at Derby. 

I wish him well.

Screenshot_20240704_084857_One UI Home.jpg

Vacancy now filled.

Screenshot_20240717_125303_One UI Home.jpg