A good Championship budget?

RoyMac5

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's his stock answer; told us the same at the Fans' Forum back end of last year, before we were anywhere near getting there.

It's his way of saying "mind your own business" but there are folks on here picking every word apart as if there's some secret economic formula attached to a few bland words. 

Competitive - implies fans should be happy, while simultaneously telling us the square root of sod all 😂

He's not daft, is he?

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The signings that cost money will tell us something of our budget.

As long as the right players come in I don’t care what we spend or if we spend on transfer fees. We need to drastically lower the average age of the squad but that needs to be done sensibly. If we suddenly just signed a bunch of 20 year olds we’d finish rock bottom. 

Morning, new member alert here! (Old Derby fan)

I heard somewhere that the average championship wage (budget?) is £31M. 

That includes parachute clubs. Maybe he means we will have circa £31M on transfers and wages? 

Wasn’t our income around £17M last year? So with extra TV money etc probably £25M+ this year?

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh and he says 'We want to finish in first place...' So that's what we're aiming for!

This is the mentality every owner in the league will have I would imagine. It’s the right one to have. 

I just hope it’s not used out of context and a minimum requirement for our manager, as whilst you should always aim for the top and to be the best, there will be some realism within the walls of Moor Farm with a much lower expectation as @maxjam pulled out from the snippet

“we want to maintain our position in the Championship and then go from there”

We’re looking at a new keeper, midfield, attack, teams are not built overnight, I would urge patience especially at the start of the season, not looking back to Clowes aim at being at the top if we fall 9pts off a club up there with parachute payments and tinkered not rebuilt team.

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Almost like he didn't know what he was saying. Ah bless. He's not setting the Club up to be 'also rans'.

Almost like he was talking absolute sense: number one objective is to retain our championship place, we have a budget which he thinks is competitive and our target is to finish top (as it should be for every club in every division in which they play).

Not sure what the condescending “ah bless” is all about.

50 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

As long as the right players come in I don’t care what we spend or if we spend on transfer fees. We need to drastically lower the average age of the squad but that needs to be done sensibly. If we suddenly just signed a bunch of 20 year olds we’d finish rock bottom. 

This is absolutely nail on head.

A lot of people get hung up on fees and wages, whilst true, clubs that spent the most have a higher chance of promotion, as we have previously seen first hand, it’s no guarantee.

The number one focus should be building a squad that we can build on with minor tinkering, but you have to retain some older wiser heads in there, that have been around the block and may have been at Rotherham to guide the youngsters.

Its a little unfortunate/mischevious that the snippet BBC Derby have gone with is Clowes talking about us 'aiming for first place'. I mean of course we're going to try & finish as high as possible but anyone expecting a top 6 spot is going to be seriously disappointed. It would also be unreasonable to place that expectation on the club or Warne.

I take a 'good Championship budget' to mean we have the finances to finish comfortably midtable & establish ourselves in this division. That is a sensible expectation for this season given that we're having to rebuild the squad with younger/better players rather than tweaking an already strong squad (i.e. not like Ipswich last year) & I would take that to mean anywhere from 10th to 18th with no flirtations with relegation. Its probably also a public airing of the conversations he's had internally with Warne - i.e. the club is not anticipating a bottom 6 struggle. The assumption therefore is if Warne is starting to deliver the same outcomes he's had with Rotherham, he'll be replaced.

He had a very similar interview previously, where he rightly stated about a competitive budget in League One. People can’t seem to separate the difference between wages and transfer spend and it was construed that he had lied to the fans.

Although, I suspect that when the accounts are released that we will see Derby had one of the highest wage bills that League One has ever seen and that’s how we decided to spend our money.

I would’ve thought he learned his lesson last time, but seems the excitement got the best of him on this occasion and unfortunately I suspect this means that people are going to be expecting too much in terms of transfer fees. In reality I believe that we will be extremely competitive on wages - £30m plus - but I don’t anticipate a great deal on transfer fees. 

12 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Its a little unfortunate/mischevious that the snippet BBC Derby have gone with is Clowes talking about us 'aiming for first place'. I mean of course we're going to try & finish as high as possible but anyone expecting a top 6 spot is going to be seriously disappointed. It would also be unreasonable to place that expectation on the club or Warne.

I take a 'good Championship budget' to mean we have the finances to finish comfortably midtable & establish ourselves in this division. That is a sensible expectation for this season given that we're having to rebuild the squad with younger/better players rather than tweaking an already strong squad (i.e. not like Ipswich last year) & I would take that to mean anywhere from 10th to 18th with no flirtations with relegation. Its probably also a public airing of the conversations he's had internally with Warne - i.e. the club is not anticipating a bottom 6 struggle. The assumption therefore is if Warne is starting to deliver the same outcomes he's had with Rotherham, he'll be replaced.

I have to defend BBC Derby slightly, prior to saying aiming for the top he does say he wouldn’t like to say where we will finish. They didn’t even mention it in the post to lure you into watching, it was a line pulled out to start the topic on here with, which you could argue could be seen as potentially more mischievous. 

Most appear to have understood the context of his words though and I don’t see many going into the season expecting to be challenging for the title.

13 minutes ago, Day said:

I have to defend BBC Derby slightly, prior to saying aiming for the top he does say he wouldn’t like to say where we will finish. They didn’t even mention it in the post to lure you into watching, it was a line pulled out to start the topic on here with, which you could argue could be seen as potentially more mischievous. 

Most appear to have understood the context of his words though and I don’t see many going into the season expecting to be challenging for the title.

Must be time for one of them poll things....

What are your expectations for the season!!

Personally I'm going for a mid to lower table finish.

37 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would’ve thought he learned his lesson last time, but seems the excitement got the best of him on this occasion and unfortunately I suspect this means that people are going to be expecting too much in terms of transfer fees. In reality I believe that we will be extremely competitive on wages - £30m plus - but I don’t anticipate a great deal on transfer fees. 

I very much doubt he will be planning on spending £30 million on wages. That will be pretty much all of our turnover, and would result in an annual loss heading towards £10 million after other costs of running the club are included. Not sustainable, and given our recent history totally stupid. Luckily for us all, DC has a lot more sense than that! I expect him to budget towards a break even position, and support a modest loss.

Just now, Chester40 said:

Must be time for one of them poll things....

What are your expectations for the season!!

Personally I'm going for a mid to lower table finish.

I really think we will do well to stay up. Roughly speaking, it’s almost impossible to hit on every single transfer and I would say historically that at least half the signings we have made have turned out to be busts. We have come up from League One with a team that lacks genuine Championship ability so we don’t have much of a foundation to lean on either. We live and die by our summer recruitment and we have a lot of ground to make up. I think even if the recruitment is above average we bring talent in, the coaching staff then have the job of putting it all together which we know isn’t easy. 

2 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I very much doubt he will be planning on spending £30 million on wages. That will be pretty much all of our turnover, and would result in an annual loss heading towards £10 million after other costs of running the club are included. Not sustainable, and given our recent history totally stupid. Luckily for us all, DC has a lot more sense than that! I expect him to budget towards a break even position, and support a modest loss.

Ironically, when the accounts are released I anticipate our wage bill last season will have been in excess of £20m and the annual loss around £10m 

From the comments made by Stephen Pearce, I think we are working towards a £10m deficit per annum as part of our ongoing business plan. 

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The word 'plan' seems slightly out of place doesn't it....

Who'd be a football club owner.

We are owned by Clowes Developments, rather than David Clowes, so I believe it’s just an offsetting of profits.

There is so much money in football that providing he builds the infrastructure and makes it a success, there’s every chance he makes a healthy profit out of owning us when he sells us.

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Ironically, when the accounts are released I anticipate our wage bill last season will have been in excess of £20m and the annual loss around £10m 

From the comments made by Stephen Pearce, I think we are working towards a £10m deficit per annum as part of our ongoing business plan. 

Given that our turnover last season was in the region of maybe a little less than £20 million, and Pearce previously said that wages were below 50% of turnover then there is no way last seasons wage bill was £20 million.

There is no way DC will allow a £10 million deficit each year, that's back into Mel Morris territory.  Your in cuckoo land there I'm afraid.

I take competitive to mean mid table clear of relegation. We certainly won’t have competitive budgets compared with parachute funded teams. However mid table last season was anything between 9th and 18th!! 

If we can finish 16th or above and stay clear of the dog fight that would constitute a good season for me. If we can threaten the top 6 or even break into it we would be hugely overachieving. 

The early signings make me hopeful and this is definitely the season where we can truly say this is Warne’s team.

7 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Given that our turnover last season was in the region of maybe a little less than £20 million, and Pearce previously said that wages were below 50% of turnover then there is no way last seasons wage bill was £20 million.

There is no way DC will allow a £10 million deficit each year, that's back into Mel Morris territory.  You’re in cuckoo land there I'm afraid.

We spent £17.1m on wages in 22/23 and made a £10m loss. Stephen Pearce said at that point that the £10m was planned for and accounted as on ongoing costs.

The wage bill will be £20-21m for the season just gone, potentially up to £22m. 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I agree but it's just we'd have to be very lucky with our data (!) to get a quality 'Championship' striker for peanuts. And the suggestion was that if we loaned Iversson he'd be on Prem wages as Leicester were promoted. So no real cheap quality there either. We'll see how the budget is divvied up.

17 hours ago, maxjam said:

He also says 'we want to maintain our position in the Championship and then go from there.'

Lets not get ahead of ourselves taking a jovial DC quoting Brian Clough as a reason to beat PW to death with in a few months time.

I think it’s important to look at next season in this way.

The first thing we need to do is put together a team that can compete in this division. Yes we might lose as many as we win, but as long as we can stay up and this time next year we’re talking about needing to bring in 2 or 3 players then we are making progress from needing 10 - 15 like this year.

By building steadily we reduce the risk of having an amazing season followed by a disaster of a season straight after and so on.