Karamoko Dembele

2 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Obligatory highlights video. I really like the look of him. Reminds of of Ebiowei, very skillful, pacey and low centre of gravity. Warnes always said he likes players that will attack and take others on!

Cheers Fraser. This one is exciting. I put him up a while back as one of three or four I liked the look of who were plying their trade at L1 level or below and I'd be delighted to see him at the club. The thing I hadn't clocked until watching your video though, is how strong he is. He brushes off much bigger lads no bother at all and his first touch is excellent. It's a resounding 'yes' from me.

Hopefully we'll get this lad, and we will increase our attacking options. I'm less concerned about physicality in the Championship as I was in L1, mainly as I think players are protected by refs a bit more, although it still holds real value obviously. According to the rumour mill Sheff Weds are after him too.

Exactly the sort of player we have lacked for years, quick, skilful, can dribble, keep the ball, pass and will get people off their seats. 

NML and Barks have on occasion done this but Dembele produces week in and week out, I was really impressed when we played Blackpool.

Fingers crossed for this one! 

11 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Dembele often played as a number 10 for Blackpool. 

That makes things a bit more interesting. Warne had the option to play 343 last season with Barkhuizen, NML and CBT but mostly preferred to play NML in a free role alongside Collins instead. If that is Warnes favoured formation which I think he said it was, then that is leaving us with a hell of a lot of wingers to play as a number 10.

13 hours ago, Srg said:

We've had Warne two seasons now, if you haven't noticed his ability to switch formations depending on the opposition, form and available personnel then I don't know what to tell you.

My observations have been that with the correct personnel and no fan pressure to change to a back four he has preferred 352. He also said in interviews he likes two forwards, one being a number 9 and the other being a second striker, a number 10 or a free role (nml), dependent on what is needed for that particular game.

Of course he has played various formations, but they often seem forced and he has always been itchibg to go back to 352.

First season we had no wing backs, he tried Barkhuizen and NML in that position and it didn’t work, so he reluctantly (his words) went to back four.

Second season he bought players to play a back three and the players just couldn’t adjust to it, he kept flirting with a 352 but it just didn’t get going. We then went through that spell when we signed Gayle as our only fit striker and played 343 for a few games which looked great, but Warne voiced his concerns about the midfield being light, and then in our run in played what you could call a 3511.

If 3511 is his preference which to me it seems to be, that currently has us with NML, CBT and Barkhuizen as the slightly out of position player off the striker. Bringing in more wingers (the position we are mostly linked with) seems a little counter productive if we don’t have a large budget.

Now a number of factors could prove me wrong, and if it does, then fair enough I’m wrong, but to suggest I haven’t been paying attention to the team I have religiously followed for 36 years is a bit silly. Im not a regular poster here, although I have been an active lurker for many years.

If you got through all that and are still awake, well done.

3 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

My observations have been that with the correct personnel and no fan pressure to change to a back four he has preferred 352. He also said in interviews he likes two forwards, one being a number 9 and the other being a second striker, a number 10 or a free role (nml), dependent on what is needed for that particular game.

Of course he has played various formations, but they often seem forced and he has always been itchibg to go back to 352.

First season we had no wing backs, he tried Barkhuizen and NML in that position and it didn’t work, so he reluctantly (his words) went to back four.

Second season he bought players to play a back three and the players just couldn’t adjust to it, he kept flirting with a 352 but it just didn’t get going. We then went through that spell when we signed Gayle as our only fit striker and played 343 for a few games which looked great, but Warne voiced his concerns about the midfield being light, and then in our run in played what you could call a 3511.

If 3511 is his preference which to me it seems to be, that currently has us with NML, CBT and Barkhuizen as the slightly out of position player off the striker. Bringing in more wingers (the position we are mostly linked with) seems a little counter productive if we don’t have a large budget.

Now a number of factors could prove me wrong, and if it does, then fair enough I’m wrong, but to suggest I haven’t been paying attention to the team I have religiously followed for 36 years is a bit silly. Im not a regular poster here, although I have been an active lurker for many years.

Fan pressure to play a back 4 ???,

not a single game I went to or watched on rtv ( so never missed a game ) had the fans chanting for a back 4

unless the club was swamped by letters, emails and phone calls calling for the club to move to a back 4 then I presume you mean a few posters on forums put so much pressure on warne that he just had to bend to the will of a few armchair managers rather than do his job week in week out with injuries and different styles to play against in the way HE thinks is best to get yet another promotion on his CV 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

I think 352 was a necessity due to the profile of centre mids we had. If he gets his way and we have midfielders that all have 3 lungs like Ebou we’ll probably only play with 2 CM meaning 343 is more likely allowing for 2 supporting forwards with the bigger CF

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think 352 was a necessity due to the profile of centre mids we had. If he gets his way and we have midfielders that all have 3 lungs like Ebou we’ll probably only play with 2 CM meaning 343 is more likely allowing for 2 supporting forwards with the bigger CF

I hope so, as those few games we played 343, we looked excellent.

I'd also like Siriki Dembélé, Moussa Dembélé and Ousmane Dembélé if it's a wish list.

I'm very much of the thought we should play our best player Mendez-Laing on the left, for him to cut inside where he always looked his most dangerous and involved. That means playing wingers as our formation with him in the side, especially at home. Dembele's left foot on the right would complement this position greatly. Has anyone stats on how well Mendez-Laing did as an inside-forward/number 10? I thought he was pants most of the time and ineffectual when asked to play off the wing.

9 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I'd also like Siriki Dembélé, Moussa Dembélé and Ousmane Dembélé if it's a wish list.

I'm very much of the thought we should play our best player Mendez-Laing on the left, for him to cut inside where he always looked his most dangerous and involved. That means playing wingers as our formation with him in the side, especially at home. Dembele's left foot on the right would complement this position greatly. Has anyone stats on how well Mendez-Laing did as an inside-forward/number 10? I thought he was pants most of the time and ineffectual when asked to play off the wing.

He was mainly poor when asked to play up front. But it was a necessity because of lack of strikers and lack of pace through the middle. Wasn’t really his fault, was a needs must. 

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dembele joined Brest on a 4 year deal in July 2022 so is contracted until July 2026, if we do actually want him it’ll likely require a fee or potentially a loan deal.

Ah, thanks @Caerphilly Ram. Apologies for the bum steer @Dean (hick) Saunders 

Edit: @£500k according to Transfefrmakt

Edited by Comrade 86