Ben Osborn - signed on a two-year deal

Sean

1 hour ago, alram said:

im not talking about length of deals i am talking about future budgets, we opted for big wages instead of transfer fees. those players would have had to be replaced when the deals were up.

your point was that clowes hasnt offered stupid wages to people which isnt true, we had pretty much the biggest wage bill in league one after starting a squad from scratch . our policy so far under him has to pay big wages and thats even with a business plan.

We’ve been operating under restriction/approved business plan for 2 seasons.  That would have had limits on our wages, etc as agreed with the EFL.  And even without that, there’s also the limit of revenue you can spend on player wages - I’m sure @Ghost of Clough can share the details.  All of these aimed at keeping clubs as sustainable as possible.

1 hour ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

He's very much a Warne midfielder. Plenty of energy and can play in multiple positions. And he strengthens our weakest area. What's not to like?

Apparently, he’s not Messi or Ronaldo… and going to be paid too much… but he isn’t good enough… and too old… so we want better, younger players on less money? Or something. Seems reasonable and realistic anyway.

I’m with the majority. Pleased. Experienced player at this level and above, probably on good but not silly money. For those worrying about where he’ll play and what it means for other players, I reckon we’re allowed to have more than one player per position and we might sign more than one midfielder or even LWB if that’s where he plays (shocking as it may seem). I think mainly people just want to get their negativity in first so they can say “told you so” but if he turns into a success it’s “well, I said I hope he proves me wrong”.  

Edited by LazloW

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Apparently, he’s not Messi or Ronaldo… and going to be paid too much… but he isn’t good enough… and too old… so we want better, younger players on less money? Or something. Seems reasonable and realistic anyway.

I’m with the majority. Pleased. Experienced player at this level and above, probably on good but not silly money. For those worrying about where he’ll play and what it means for other players, I reckon we’re allowed to have more than one player per position and we might sign more than one midfielder or even LWB if that’s where he plays (shocking as it may seem). I think mainly people just want to get their negativity in first so they can say “told you so” but if he turns into a success it’s “well, I said I hope he proves me wrong”.  

Can you explain then what you do when we are linked with a player or sign a player that you have concerns about? Not comment, pretend to be impressed, or explain your opinion but say you hope you are wrong and that he does well? Be interested to hear what the correct process is 🤔

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Can you explain then what you do when we are linked with a player or sign a player that you have concerns about? Not comment, pretend to be impressed, or explain your opinion but say you hope you are wrong and that he does well? Be interested to hear what the correct process is 🤔

You're being unusually touchy Jimbo!

You don't mind teasing other posters so I'm even more surprised. 

Don't think you're being hammered really... you're being asked as you are swimming against the tide somewhat and the only other people swimming your way are generally more extreme, 'look at me' posters!

On paper, he's a very good signing with recent Premier League experience,  good attitude, workhorse, loyal to his club who has probably been courted by clubs seen as more desirable than ourselves by many. However, his desire to play for us has won through. Seems like a winner to me.

Doesn't score or assist as much as you would like, but Adams didn't/hasn't and most want him back. He plays where we are short...seems a no-brainer to most I'm guessing with no fee either.

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Don't think you're being hammered really... you're being asked as you are swimming against the tide somewhat and the only other people swimming your way are generally more extreme, 'look at me' posters!

On paper, he's a very good signing with recent Premier League experience,  good attitude, workhorse, loyal to his club who has probably been courted by clubs seen as more desirable than ourselves by many. However, his desire to play for us has won through. Seems like a winner to me.

Doesn't score or assist as much as you would like, but Adams didn't/hasn't and most want him back. He plays where we are short...seems a no-brainer to most I'm guessing with no fee either.

He should be a perfect fit then lol 🤣

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

………now answer the question 🤣