new fixture list 2024/25

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are we under some sort of transfer embargo then, can't sign any players? Yet again we will have a decent budget to spend - not parachute payments decent, but good enough. Why shouldn't we be up there rather than down there?

It depends on who we sign, obviously, but until we see players coming through the door we have to brace ourselves for a tough season. This is a side that needs 12-14 signings, what we have at the moment would see us do well to match Rotherham's points total from last season. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It depends on who we sign, obviously, but until we see players coming through the door we have to brace ourselves for a tough season. This is a side that needs 12-14 signings, what we have at the moment would see us do well to match Rotherham's points total from last season. 

Which was why I started with 'are we under embargo'. I would expect us to be decent signings - the keepers being talked about 'sound' decent? So Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin, Elder + keeper - good back 4? If Back '5' then even easier to not have to get too many midfielders in.

I put on the 'anticipate' thread aiming for Top 6 and I see no reason why we shouldn't realistically aim for that.

Oh and wasn't Rotherham's total so poor because they no longer had Warne? Lots of comments on how well he had Rotherham doing at the 'top' of the Championship before we poached him.

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are we under some sort of transfer embargo then, can't sign any players? Yet again we will have a decent budget to spend - not parachute payments decent, but good enough. Why shouldn't we be up there rather than down there?

Because according to you the manager isn’t good enough to get us promoted from league one and should have been sacked, or do you now admit you were wrong and you do think he’s a good manager, pray tell 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yes but does anyone realistically think we won't add to the squad? Therefore, trying to assess what sort of season we're likely to have (and comparing our chances to that which Rotherham achieved last season) is a pointless (no pun intended) exercise.

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting it to be an easy season but, until we've seen who we've signed, how good they are (unlike some others it seems, judging by some of the comments on the transfer rumours thread, I don't watch enough non Derby football to know enough about most of the players being mentioned), and how they link together before we start writing off our chances of survival.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which was why I started with 'are we under embargo'. I would expect us to be decent signings - the keepers being talked about 'sound' decent? So Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin, Elder + keeper - good back 4? If Back '5' then even easier to not have to get too many midfielders in.

I put on the 'anticipate' thread aiming for Top 6 and I see no reason why we shouldn't realistically aim for that.

Oh and wasn't Rotherham's total so poor because they no longer had Warne?

We don't really know our budget, in all honesty, so until we firm up some targets and actually get players into the club we are only speculating. I'm very much with you that I anticipate our budget to be healthy and we will get some good players in. 

However, I also believe we have a lot of work to do, so even if we had the competency within our recruitment to sign the right players there is a ton of work to do in order to get them all singing from the same hymn sheet (so to speak). I just feel that we have a complete rebuild and the expectation regardless of what talent comes through the door is to consolidate. 

It's a very real prospect that half the players we sign also don't perform as well as we had hoped, so if you have 12 players signed then you're doing pretty well if 6 of them are performing to standard. I'm factoring all that in and saying that we would do well to keep our head above water. 

We are back in the Championship, where we (apparently) deserve to be. Who did people expect we'd be playing? Belper Town? 

I'm looking forward to seeing how we do at a level where we're going to see slightly more football, our younger players with an extra year's experience and hopefully some exciting new signings.

Bring it on! 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh and wasn't Rotherham's total so poor because they no longer had Warne? Lots of comments on how well he had Rotherham doing at the 'top' of the Championship before we poached him.

Realistically, a top 6 finish would be more of a target in our 2nd or 3rd season back if everything goes to plan.

There are a lot of teams who will have bigger budgets than us next season and even those on a similar or slightly lower budget will probably only be looking to strengthen a small amount of positions, whereas we are in need of maybe 10-15 players. This could potentially lead to those being able to offer more enticing deals to players we’re targeting.

Personally, I want to stay up next season and preferably have a boring April knowing that we’re staying up.

On your second point, Rotherham were 5th when we poached Warne, having won 3, drawn 5 and lost once, averaging 1.56 ppg. This is significantly better than his previous seasons in the championship and potentially down to a lower sample size of matches.

In previous seasons Warne has averaged 0.57, 0.87 and 0.91 ppg, which unsurprisingly were all relegation seasons. While it’s still early I expect us to do a bit better than this, but it is a big jump to go from this a playoff battle.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I hate that December. Merry fricking Christmas.

I'd bet one of those will be on TV too, just to make it even more miserable.

December looks very tough. The Warne haters will have their knives drawn that month , and not just for the Turkey. But let’s see what kind of squad Mo Bob can rustle up for the boss. 

24 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Because according to you the manager isn’t good enough to get us promoted from league one and should have been sacked, or do you now admit you were wrong and you do think he’s a good manager, pray tell 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn't say what I thought about Warne did I. You are so predictable, it's not worth discussing stuff with you at all, but here goes:

I said "I put on the 'anticipate' thread aiming for Top 6 and I see no reason why we shouldn't realistically aim for that." So where do you think Warne is aiming for?

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

We are back in the Championship, where we (apparently) deserve to be. Who did people expect we'd be playing? Belper Town? 

I'm looking forward to seeing how we do at a level where we're going to see slightly more football, our younger players with an extra year's experience and hopefully some exciting new signings.

Bring it on! 

I see what you did there 😁

I don’t think it’s realistic to think we could finish in the top 6. If we start with unrealistic expectations then things could turn against the team and manager quite quickly, which would be a shame.  We can hope for top 6 obviously; we could also aspire to it… but don’t think k we should be expecting it.  Obviously, this might change if we go out sign 10 £10m players but as it stands we are going to be building a squad sensibly and sustainably, which probably means taking some time to challenge.