Transfer rumours

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

According to transfer mrkt website Derby have the 6th highest net spend in the division… the 14th highest spend. Clowes might point to that as competitive. The issue is that our starting point was a long way away from being good enough. 

This is the misnomer which many on here still fail to grasp.

A competitive budget does not make us competitive in the Championship.

We would have to overspend by a huge relative margin against our peers to make our team a competitive one.

We will in all reality be making up the numbers this season despite DC stating to the contrary.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

We would have to overspend by a huge relative margin against our peers to make our team a competitive one.

We will in all reality be making up the numbers this season despite DC stating to the contrary.

You’ve even questioned yourself why DC made the statement after last years fiasco. 

If a competitive budget won’t see us competitive then it’s not really a competitive budget.

At least under the yanks they came out and basically said we hadn’t got a pot to pee in.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

100% agree. He did it last season as well. I really don’t know what our budget is at the moment but one minute it feels like we’ve got nothing to spend and the next minute we pay 1m+ for a keeper. 

I appreciate it’s none of my business but you can’t blame supporters for being a bit 🤷‍♂️ with the recruitment process 

I’d also add that Warne being his usual open and honest self isn’t helping some of the supporter attitudes - and I’m not talking about those that would complain about anything Paul Warne would do. 

Him saying things about missing targets, giving time frames on things, speaking to this player and that. A lot of this is undoubtedly normal, but peeling back the curtain makes it seem worse. Just like with the Zetterström transfer, that was pretty normal but his club making it so public made it seem dafter than it actually was. 

The problem we have is that we have spent £2-2.5 million retaining a key player in Adams and replacing Wildsmith and Bird, so the serious money we have invested has gone on actually maintaining our level, not necessarily enhancing it.

Would we look better with Wildsmith in goal, Adams and Bird in midfield and having  £2 million to invest in the squad on other areas of concern? As much as I like the look of Zetterstrom and Goudmijn, there is an argument for it given we seemingly have such a limited budget.

This is of course compounded by our other key players from last season (Nelson, Cashin, NML, Collins) not yet looking up to speed with the demands of Championship football.

I think we need a CB, a CM, a winger and a striker and some real quality added to the ranks. The recruitment team has their work cut out for them. But fingers crossed!

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

You’ve even questioned yourself why DC made the statement after last years fiasco. 

If a competitive budget won’t see us competitive then it’s not really a competitive budget.

At least under the yanks they came out and basically said we hadn’t got a pot to pee in.

Am sure that DC didn't make this statement to be purposely misleading or deliberately using weasel words it's just unfortunate how it could have and has been interpreted by fans.

The most important thing is that our squad is more competitive than at least 3 other teams in the Championship.

37 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wish he hadn’t made this comment. I get why he would, but it’s set everyone up thinking we will have a few million and be able to attract good loans with wages and fees attached. No one was expecting anything daft, but it does seem like our budget isn’t even at the level of relegation candidates right now.

I know everyone else has said it, but this week is massive. We have to fill out this squad with players than can genuinely improve the starting XI, not just the threadbare bench. Sounds like it’ll be 3, is that enough? I don’t know, it’s not as many as I’d like, but let’s see who they are first. 

Or we won't pay what is asked? Warne saying about a loan wanting more than he gets at his parent club, well that's how attractive we are. Pay it.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or we won't pay what is asked? Warne saying about a loan wanting more than he gets at his parent club, well that's how attractive we are. Pay it.

That makes no sense. If we can afford it and it’s a player who improves the squad, we would pay it. Clearly we can’t afford it. 

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know the intimate finances of the club but Warne and Clowes MUST be confident that this squad is capable of staying in the division as a bare minimum otherwise I cannot believe for a moment that DC would not sanction outgoings at the risk of that additional expense being offset next year by the loss of Sky revenue, gate receipts etc of us dropping into League 1 again 

Edited by Tyler Durden

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

That makes no sense. If we can afford it and it’s a player who improves the squad, we would pay it. Clearly we can’t afford it. 

No that isn't necessarily so is it. Perhaps we can afford it but won't pay it as I said. 

2 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

Concrete contract offer went in for Cooper yesterday 

But from what I was told it wasn't anywhere near done and lower than an offer elsewhere 

Not sure of others that are close 

Names are literally going to come out of nowhere then 

7 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

But from what I was told it wasn't anywhere near done and lower than an offer elsewhere 

He’s all but signed for Hull. 

24 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

Thanks SE, Hull must have swooped in when they heard we’d made an offer.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

So what does a competitive budget mean then?

7 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Thanks SE, Hull must have swooped in when they heard we’d made an offer.

We must still know who these free agent and loans are you’d think