Transfer rumours

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why not stop being coy and just come out with whom you think should have done more in the transfer window and what they should have done differently to appease you.

And please don't come back with generalisations such as the football club......

I don't want appeasing.  I'm stating the glaring obvious.  We have about 6 wide players and 3 forwards, one of them was given a one year deal as a backup. That's fine.  The other back up is terminally injured.  The one who should be starting will get maybe 10 goals and can't play. We seem to be adding analysts and recruitment personnel galore to try and find some players outside the norm as we don't have a budget that will be any larger or will be around the same as 8-10 clubs.  What have they been doing.   It's not hard really Rasiak Bisgaard, Wanchope, Christie, Willems, Idiakez  etc etc.  Not enough has been done.

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think this post is an opinion and perfectly valid I think accusing our manager and recruitment team of making an emotional signing is quite offensive? 

Not really.  Clubs do it.  It's not offensive to my mind.  If you like a character you'll want to work with them despite limitations.  Same in all workplaces. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It's not hard really Rasiak Bisgaard, Wanchope, Christie, Willems, Idiakez  etc etc.  Not enough has been done.

Football has moved on. Significantly. Even League 1 clubs use data and scouting services to begin scouting abroad, let alone Championship clubs. There was 3 Japanese players in the Championship last year, this sort of thing was unheard of back then. The competition is as much about process and data usage than cost of scouting these days. 

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I don't want appeasing.  I'm stating the glaring obvious.  We have about 6 wide players and 3 forwards, one of them was given a one year deal as a backup. That's fine.  The other back up is terminally injured.  The one who should be starting will get maybe 10 goals and can't play. We seem to be adding analysts and recruitment personnel galore to try and find some players outside the norm as we don't have a budget that will be any larger or will be around the same as 8-10 clubs.  What have they been doing.   It's not hard really Rasiak Bisgaard, Wanchope, Christie, Willems, Idiakez  etc etc.  Not enough has been done.

I get thats how you feel from your original post.

Maybe the clubs with the players the analysts identified weren't interested in selling.

Maybe the players didn't want to come to us.

Maybe the club did want to sell but not at the price we were offering 

Maybe the club did want to sell but only after they'd sourced an adequate replacement.

Maybe the club selling the player intimated to us that the player was available then something happened internally and they were then deemed to be a key part of the squad rather surplus.

These players aren't just floating around the streets the majority of them will be contracted to football clubs and we can't just go in there and say you will sell us this player at the price we tell you to. There are loads of other dependencies.

I'd be more worried if Warne wasn't aware of where we needed strengthening. 

And it is hard actually, hence why we are in our current position.

Edited by Tyler Durden

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

those players are equally balanced out by; Kazmierczak, Albentosa, Tito Villa (meh but good money), Jozwiak, Te Wierik, Mascarell, Conor Doyle, Feilhaber etc 

ultimately it is hard - cause you're dealing with people, deadlines and a competitive  marketplace. 

The club haven't turned around and gone 'nah don't fancy a striker - we want a recruiter instead' 

barring a GK the club is pretty much on track with their plan - with the aim of adding a GK plus 4 before end of the window (late loans) 

You have to remember we are still rebuilding - but taking the opportunity to be better than we were. That means investing in infrastructure and not ripping up a squad every 12 months. Will they get everything right? no - but if they get 70% right then we will be flying in 36 months time 

(typed on beer 4 in a pub in Blackburn) - Up the Rams 

4 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

those players are equally balanced out by; Kazmierczak, Albentosa, Tito Villa (meh but good money), Jozwiak, Te Wierik, Mascarell, Conor Doyle, Feilhaber etc 

ultimately it is hard - cause you're dealing with people, deadlines and a competitive  marketplace. 

The club haven't turned around and gone 'nah don't fancy a striker - we want a recruiter instead' 

barring a GK the club is pretty much on track with their plan - with the aim of adding a GK plus 4 before end of the window (late loans) 

You have to remember we are still rebuilding - but taking the opportunity to be better than we were. That means investing in infrastructure and not ripping up a squad every 12 months. Will they get everything right? no - but if they get 70% right then we will be flying in 36 months time 

(typed on beer 4 in a pub in Blackburn) - Up the Rams 

If the rest of the signings are loans, does that mean we won’t be expecting Karamoko Dembele ?

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If the rest of the signings are loans, does that mean we won’t be expecting Karamoko Dembele ?

not all will be loans - but i think there will be 2-3 

don't know for definite - but conversation I had this morning was leaning towards Dembele being unlikely (don't know a reasoning) 

3 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

Not for 4 mill , no ! 

That's how we got into such trouble or had u forgotten?

They probably used the cash they skanked off us towards it

Without going over old ground, we didn’t get into trouble by overspending on young players.

We got into trouble by overspending on old players with no re-sale value.

£4mill for a 20-year-old isn’t that much when spread over 10 years.

£6mill on a 28-year-old Bradley Johnson was just sheer stupidity. 

We're bargain shopping, and when you're hunting for bargains you rely on making the most of panic and desperation in selling clubs. You only really get that when you're closing in on the deadline. Sure, there are fringe cases like with Kenzo, but if you only have £1m to offer for a player, the selling club is bound to delay and hope the agent can drum up further interest or create a bidding war. The club's making moves have either considerable spending power, reputation, or are Birmingham and are spending over the odds to guarantee signings.

Would Warne have liked to have a full squad, ready to go? Of course he would, but unless we lose our marbles again and start splashing money around it's simply not going to happen. League positions aren't confirmed in the first handful of games of the season, and saving half a million by being patient could be another player.

29 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

We're bargain shopping, and when you're hunting for bargains you rely on making the most of panic and desperation in selling clubs. You only really get that when you're closing in on the deadline. Sure, there are fringe cases like with Kenzo, but if you only have £1m to offer for a player, the selling club is bound to delay and hope the agent can drum up further interest or create a bidding war. The club's making moves have either considerable spending power, reputation, or are Birmingham and are spending over the odds to guarantee signings.

Would Warne have liked to have a full squad, ready to go? Of course he would, but unless we lose our marbles again and start splashing money around it's simply not going to happen. League positions aren't confirmed in the first handful of games of the season, and saving half a million by being patient could be another player.

PW and DC playing it cool.

42996B3E-61F6-4244-94EE-BCB238E64E0D.jpeg

Tough one to call as none of us have complete information. No doubt the club have been trying hard to put a solid squad together, but they are transitioning to a higher division whilst player wages are ever inflating. Suspect they have been surprised by what other clubs are prepared to pay in both fees and wages. There’s no loyalty, purely a numbers game for players and agents.

I thought Clowes may look to get out after promotion. He’s wealthy by our standards, not by football standards. He did his job, saved the club, bought it in L1 and stands to make money by selling as a Champ club. Of course there are constraints on spending, but I don’t understand if that is driven by how much money Clowes is prepared to invest versus how much PSR allows him to invest. If it’s the latter then fair f****, but I don’t think it is purely looking at what other non-parachute payment clubs have in terms of squad quality and depth.

Suspect with a few loans we may have a fairly competitive first X1, but may struggle with injuries and squad depth. But that must be an issue facing virtually all promoted clubs (obviously not Ipswich). 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not really.  Clubs do it.  It's not offensive to my mind.  If you like a character you'll want to work with them despite limitations.  Same in all workplaces. 

Nah- it’s not offensive at all.  Crikey, don’t people love to get ‘offended’ by any and everything these days..??!!🤷

I think it’s a valid point…. The whole PP crowd singing ‘sign him up’ and many fans loudly stating that he should have been our first priority in the transfer window (and I was one of those).

There was a hell of a lot of emotion around his signing… would be naive to think that doesn’t to some extent also extend to the Chairman, manager etc…

1 hour ago, SECornerRAM said:

not all will be loans - but i think there will be 2-3 

don't know for definite - but conversation I had this morning was leaning towards Dembele being unlikely (don't know a reasoning) 

Damn. Really would have liked Dembele.

17 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Damn. Really would have liked Dembele.

I think the best analogy someone said this week was "we aren't the best looking bird at the party", or something like that.

We aren't the big famous club we think we are anymore...obviously we are to us and there's no reason why we shouldn't be a top 10 premier league club, but we have no devine right and a huge percentage of football fans and sadly, players now, don't even know we were champions of England once.

It says something when players are choosing to sign for league 1 Birmingham over us...clearly money talks.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

..obviously we are to us and there's no reason why we shouldn't be a top 10 premier league club, but we have no devine right and a huge percentage of football fans and sadly, players now, don't even know we were champions of England once.

It says something when players are choosing to sign for league 1 Birmingham over us...clearly money talks.

Here's a picture of her to cheer you up

divine-filth.gif

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Maybe judge them after their first transfer window has closed?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe judge them after their first transfer window has closed?

Hasn't Thomas been here more than one and brought in his own staff  ?.  In my opinion we should be further along than we are just before kick off.  No point me talking about it anymore.  Some will agree, some won't. 

2 hours ago, SECornerRAM said:

You've got that in writing have you? 😄 

34 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think the best analogy someone said this week was "we aren't the best looking bird at the party", or something like that.

We aren't the big famous club we think we are anymore...obviously we are to us and there's no reason why we shouldn't be a top 10 premier league club, but we have no devine right and a huge percentage of football fans and sadly, players now, don't even know we were champions of England once.

I'm not sure he's going to Birmingham tbh. Their version of SECornerRam doesn't even think they're in for him.

I think Wednesday were the other club said to be a frontrunner.