Transfer rumours

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Gone abit quiet ain't it..

Will be unless something leaks out tonight. Then after the game tomorrow Warne will say some cryptic messages and everyone will be Investigating and guessing again.

4 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

We are in the market for a target man but i'd be shocked if we spent 1.3m on a striker.

£1.3m on a striker doesn't even get you one that would guarantee 10 goals next season. 

I'd hope that if we trust our recruitment process then the money is there to find value, I feel that so much emphasis is put on the transfer fee but it should be viewed as purchasing an asset - the value can go up and down. If you sign a £80m striker for £20m - that's a really good deal. If you sign a £1m striker for £5m - that's a really bad deal. 

My own opinion is that if Clowes genuinely trusts the people at the club then we shouldn't be put off by transfer fees where we find value. If he doesn't trust that his £10m investment will generate more in the long-run then he needs to reconsider the people employed. 

Football clubs can make a lot of money out of transfer fees, if done correctly. 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

£1.3m on a striker doesn't even get you one that would guarantee 10 goals next season. 

I'd hope that if we trust our recruitment process then the money is there to find value, I feel that so much emphasis is put on the transfer fee but it should be viewed as purchasing an asset - the value can go up and down. If you sign a £80m striker for £20m - that's a really good deal. If you sign a £1m striker for £5m - that's a really bad deal. 

My own opinion is that if Clowes genuinely trusts the people at the club then we shouldn't be put off by transfer fees where we find value. If he doesn't trust that his £10m investment will generate more in the long-run then he needs to reconsider the people employed. 

Agree. The ability to determine which players will suit your style of football, adapt to your country/fans/demands and become an asset is a huge challenge. Even harder when you can't buy a £50m player and can only spend 500k - £1m as the risk factor becomes higher that they cannot adapt. (Think of the Dutch defender from Cocu's reign, name escapes me)

We get excited by foreign players because we don't know them and that makes the anticipation factor higher. An unknown player is far more attractive than a striker who scored 10 goals in L1 last year.

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

This is total guessing but an unamed championship club have had a bid accepted Sory Kaba, was great when he was at cardiff. He’s 6 foot 3 and wins a ridiculous amount of headers. Wonder if he’s the player that Warne said no one knows about yet. He’s just turned 29 but the way he plays we could easily get 4 good years out of him. Purely speculating though. 

'Kaba, Kaba, Kaba, Kaba, Kaba chameleon....'

Edited by Comrade 86
Not enough Kaba's ​🙄​

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Thing is Warne seems very risk adverse with regard to paying high fees, not necessarily a bad thing but sometimes I guess you have to roll the dice. I think the Yates signing is a really good deal for a poacher at this level. I think it comes down to peoples perceptions as well in terms of fees, the more we spent in recent times the worse we got post 2014. I suppose for Clowes the risk is greater as he doesn't really have the personal wealth to throw money at footballers in pure hope they'll succeed.

21 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Thing is Warne seems very risk adverse with regard to paying high fees, not necessarily a bad thing but sometimes I guess you have to roll the dice. I think the Yates signing is a really good deal for a poacher at this level. I think it comes down to peoples perceptions as well in terms of fees, the more we spent in recent times the worse we got post 2014. I suppose for Clowes the risk is greater as he doesn't really have the personal wealth to throw money at footballers in pure hope they'll succeed.

Roll the dice, isn’t that gambling, do you gamble a small amount, or do you have to bet big to get a bigger return, that 5 million pound striker will almost certainly get us promoted.

What could possibly go wrong.😑 

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

1 goal in 17 for Las Palmas, just the 20 goal striker we are crying out for, 340 games and he would just hit that figure.

He only played 700 minutes in the league last year (a league much better than ours), coming off the bench, so that 1 goal can hardly be held against him. 

He had a good record at Cardiff two years ago (8 in 17) and has averaged better than 1 in 3 across his entire career according to Transfermarkt. 

At 28, he’s arguably in his prime. He fits the profile of what Warne says he wants. 

I can’t see how anyone could be anything but pleased if this is us (which it almost certainly isn’t, sadly). 

29* sorry, but hardly an OAP.

Edited by RamsFan10

We don’t need a 20 goal striker, we need a striker that is going to link the team and make more goals for the rest of the players, cause problems from set pieces and win balls in the air.

We have good athletic players in NML, CBT, Jackson and Yates, but nobody there holding the ball, winning high balls and crosses either from open play or set pieces. Our current strikers are too easy to deal with.

We need a younger version of Michael Smith.

Edited by RamInSweden

5 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

We don’t need a 20 goal striker, we need a striker that is going to link the team and make more goals for the rest of the players, cause problems from set pieces and win balls in the air.

We have good athletic players in NML, CBT, Jackson and Yates, but nobody there holding the ball, winning high balls and crosses either from open play or set pieces. Our current strikers are too easy to deal with.

Totally agree, can see Yates getting 10-15 goals and Jackson, NML, CBT,Barks  + 1 more combining for roughly 15+. Another striker getting roughly 10 goals and then with the rest of the team chipping in we should get enough to keep us up. 

Things have gone a bit quiet, and I’m bored, so I’m taking these two random tweets (one from tonight from some random spurs fan and the other from weeks back from a spurs transfer account with 101 followers) as absolutely almost probably completely possibly maybe definitely a sign that we’re getting Nile John a midfielder from Spurs….

I mean how much more legitimate can you get?! 👀 

1 hour ago, RamInSweden said:

That's it exactly, and what many people just didn't get about Chris Martin. I'm not saying bring him back (too late for that one) but we need a younger version. 

Collins does a different job, and he'll poach you goals from set pieces, annoy the opposition and run around when we need to close out games, BUT we need a starter who can get the rest of the team running off them so they can score the goals.

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Things have gone a bit quiet, and I’m bored, so I’m taking these two random tweets (one from tonight from some random spurs fan and the other from weeks back from a spurs transfer account with 101 followers) as absolutely almost probably completely possibly maybe definitely a sign that we’re getting Nile John a midfielder from Spurs….

Be a bit of a weird one, he’s 21 and never played senior football except for a couple minutes in a conference league game and a couple minutes in a Europa league game in 2020. Plays right wing or in the 10. Last year got 5 goals and 4 assists in 32 games. 

27 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We need a better number 10 personally 

I do wonder if the player “ticking along” is Karamoko Dembele it seemed known that us and Sheff Wednesday were the two pushing for him. A Sheffield Wednesday transfer account (who seems to get everything right and trusted by Wednesday fans) reckons they’re not pushing for him anymore as they want to sort a striker and an 8 before getting a 10.

16 minutes ago, Topram said:

We need a better number 10 personally 

I think we will start the season playing 343 with two attacking widemen/inside fowards so I'm not sure if we do need a traditional number 10. Dembele would trive in that role though.