Transfer rumours

32 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Why don't we just let the Manager get on with it instead of being critical of his every move. 

Since we last had any kind of success we've had something like 17 managers who have achieved f all...except all adding to the Financial demise we found ourselves a couple of years ago. 

So we have a manager now who seems to know what he's doing yet there are some on here advocating sacking him at Christmas if we're not "successful "...please, just give the bloke a chance eh...

Nah, that’ll never happen 🤔

Smith could be an cheap option next to Yates I suppose.

One to chase defenders, work the line and be a poacher.  One to hold up the ball,  get onto deadballs, get freekicks and bully the opposition. 

I think as far as striking options go, we're surely looking at options abroad and / or the loan market. The fees being asked in the domestic market for any proven performers are absurd.

As for Smith, well he's a decent operator, much better than some on here credit him for being, but I'm kinda hoping it's more lazy-linking, or a back-up option. That said, I'm not writing off Yates just yet and the potential upside might be that Dajaune might see a bit more gametime. I love Jimmy Collins to death, but I think I'd be leaning towards the young'un as my current plan-b. More than anyone, JC has looked leaden legged in pre-season IMO and until we find at least one more credible goal threat, that's a concern. Still plenty of time left and we will still have cash to spend...

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

On a slight tangent but does anyone know the logic in not closing the transfer window before the start of the season?

Make it in line with other areas of football?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Smith is ok, gives us a presence up top, good in the air….different than what we have got 🫣

A presence? I want a striker that will score goals in the championship he won’t 

23 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think as far as striking options go, we're surely looking at options abroad and / or the loan market. The fees being asked in the domestic market for any proven performers are absurd.

As for Smith, well he's a decent operator, much better than some on here credit him for being, but I'm kinda hoping it's more lazy-linking, or a back-up option. That said, I'm not writing off Yates just yet and the potential upside might be that Dajaune might see a bit more gametime. I love Jimmy Collins to death, but I think I'd be leaning towards the young'un as my current plan-b. More than anyone, JC has looked leaden legged in pre-season IMO and until we find at least one more credible goal threat, that's a concern. Still plenty of time left and we will still have cash to spend...

Agree with you here. 

Yates scored 15 goals for a struggling Blackpool team and last season was top scorer for a Swansea team that were all over the place, changed manager and wildly regarded that he didnt suit the new managers style. Spent a lot of time on the bench, but was still top scorer for them.

I think Yates is a really good signing. 

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agree with you here. 

Yates scored 15 goals for a struggling Blackpool team and last season was top scorer for a Swansea team that were all over the place, changed manager and wildly regarded that he didnt suit the new managers style. Spent a lot of time on the bench, but was still top scorer for them.

I think Yates is a really good signing. 

He’s definitely a good signing. Just we know full well he’s not available for at least 5 games, including the first 3. That’s more games than I want Collins to start all season. 

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

He’s definitely a good signing. Just we know full well he’s not available for at least 5 games, including the first 3. That’s more games than I want Collins to start all season. 

Why is it 5 games? I thought he just had a 3 match ban 😱

4 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Why is it 5 games? I thought he just had a 3 match ban 😱

Can’t play against Swansea in them 2 games but I think one of his 3 match ban is the cup game v Chesterfield. So the first 2 league games + The 2 games against Swansea.

Edited by Eoghan1884

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

There is no way (I hope) that we spend £1.4m on a keeper when we could’ve just chucked a few more quid at Wildsmith, and don’t have a decent chunk set aside for a striker

There's no evidence that Wildsmith wanted to stay with us, even if we'd have chucked more at him. If he wanted to move on, fine, good for him. He seems to have landed on his feet.

5 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Can’t play against Swansea in them 2 games but I think one of his 3 match ban is the cup game v Chesterfield. So the first 2 league games + The 2 games against Swansea.

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

3 match ban and the 2 games against Swansea, typically loan players aren’t eligible against their parent club. 

Cheers guys. Don't laugh, but I thought we'd signed the fecker! He was on a 2 year contract in my little mind! 😂  

In fairness, I think PW has made it clear that he's still working on deals for multiple attacking players, so there seems little point in fretting for the sake of it. I'm remain in chill mode until the window closes. Might panic then, mind! 

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

No I agree and its not ideal. Ok if we get a number 9 in time. Is one of the 3 games the league cup game?

If we wanted to sign a number 9, English, 27 years old, who had been in league one, champ and champ over the last 3 seasons and scored 42 goals across those 3 seasons. How much do you reckon he would cost?

21 minutes ago, Walkley Ram said:

There's no evidence that Wildsmith wanted to stay with us, even if we'd have chucked more at him. If he wanted to move on, fine, good for him. He seems to have landed on his feet.

There's no evidence he didn't at the right terms? There's plenty of keepers out there is the bloke we're looking at signing costing us by the inch?!

2 hours ago, Topram said:

Been impressed with our summer so far, this for me would be a bit of a step back, a striker was clearly needed and if we’ve been looking abroad etc surely there’s one better out there than Smith? 

We’ve got a striker who was League One POTS, and managed to score a decent amount of goals in a poor championship team in Yates. 

I don’t think we need another goalscorer, between Yates/NML/Blackett-Taylor/Barks/Jackson and Brown we have goalscorers. Collins might still be decent at this level. 

What we don’t have is a lump of a player up front who can act as the hold up player or the throw on at the end when we are throwing the ball into the box. This seems sensible and round peg for a round hole