Transfer rumours

18 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I know that youtube clips are going to show only the best bits of a player, but there's enough on there to suggest that he has got something about him and would be worth a punt on him. His calmness on several goals is very evident and not something that you find in every striker. Also seems to have an awareness of team mates around him, but there was a noticeable lack of clips showing how good he was in the air, which is something that we need.

He's poor in the air. Whilst Swindon didn't set up to press from the front, Barrow did when he was there the previous season and he did a reasonable job if it

Jake Young is exactly the kind of player I wouldn’t mind us taking a punt on.

Big, Athletic, lots of potential to improve, not in or approaching his 30s and probably most relevant to us currently - affordable.

The jump in quality from league 2 is obviously massive, but I’d be way happier to see us try and fail with some younger lads looking to improve, than throwing old codgers well past their best on and still going down. 

Edited by BPV

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s hard for young strikers at the top level to know where to be at any given time. 
When you’re a right back or left wing it’s easy. 
It’s not just a case of standing in the middle of the pitch anymore. You have to know when to run the channels, when to lay it off, what positions to take up in the box etc. 

Brown will have to learn all of that AND take chances when they come his way. Unless he’s a very quick learner, he will be better off playing at a lower level so he returns with his confidence high.

Agreed. Young also has 5 years on daj 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

You know as well as I do reserves haven’t existed for about 15 years. 

I’ve seen a fair bit of negativity around this link and I don’t get it. What do you want? £15m on a striker? At the very least you seemingly need £5m for Cannon. Close to £1m for a 31 year old Keane? We just don’t have the money. 

If we’ve scouted someone and are thinking they can make the step up and help the first team then why wouldn’t you at least try and support that until it proves otherwise? Dream scenario is he comes in, supports Yates and starts next season, no?

Time will tell. I am not convinced and think it is a big gamble spending the little funding we have on a player like this.

48 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Only speculating (and not saying this would be a good decision) but to reduce any fee, perhaps Daj will go the opposite way on loan

That would make the deal even better. Bradford play two strikers and have started the season on fire but only have 1 goal from their two main strikers. If Daj could play for a top league two team and play well and then come back a better player. Whatever League we’re in next having Daj and hopefully a firing Jake Young as 2 strikers to build on would be very beneficial.

57 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

This is the sort of signing the new data team are going to find amongst more established players.

Assuming it is a very low fee means if it does not work out we lose little or make the money back.

I remember once saying who when a certain Bobby Davison rocked up from Halifax Town that worked out ok.

And the reason why he played little after returning to Bradford was he got injured and does not see I to eye with manager.

Harry Kane hardly scored in his loan spells before breaking through just needs someone to give you a opportunity it is up to you to take it.

Finally someone talking sense!

One thing I have learned over the last few years is that strikers with low expectations (CKR, Didzy, Gayle) can do better than some big money deals (Marriott, Blackman etc.). Look at Watkins when he moved from league two and nearly came here. Our fans agreed with not spending the extra for him at the time but now it’s the worst decision ever.

1 minute ago, crutch18 said:

Finally someone talking sense!

But we desperately need a target man to score goals that will help keep us up. If he is supposedly the answer, but proves not to be good enough and fails, it’s really going to cost us. I think it would be a real gamble.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Is there a young striker called Jake that's better?!

Jake Young did well last season, but would be a gamble in League One, nevermind the Championship. He's struggling to get in Bradford's team, for example.

What about Jake the Peg,with his extra leg,3 legs,watch him go,and if he gets one injured,he could still play on

According to Nixon, Edouard will go on loan from Palace to Ipswich provided the French striker signs a new contract first. If that happens, perhaps Al Hamedi is back on? 

We're talking ifs and buts and there are only 2 days to go.

We did look at Jake Young in January but the fee was massively inflated, Bradford trying to capitalize on the back of his Swindon goal flurry. Hope it's not high now, for someone who's had a few decent games in League Two, but hasn't been able to step up to League One so far. 

2 minutes ago, AljosaAsanovic said:

Why are a lot of people so eager to start somebody who scored a few in the national league, but think somebody who scored a few in the league above that is a big risk? 

I’m not against Jake Young but there is a lot of differences between Dajaune and Jake Young. 

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I’m not against Jake Young but there is a lot of differences between Dajaune and Jake Young. 

Enlighten me? 

I know nothing about Jake Young. I was merely going off what levels they have produced at so far. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

According to Nixon, Edouard will go on loan from Palace to Ipswich provided the French striker signs a new contract first. If that happens, perhaps Al Hamedi is back on? 

We're talking ifs and buts and there are only 2 days to go.

We did look at Jake Young in January but the fee was massively inflated, Bradford trying to capitalize on the back of his Swindon goal flurry. Hope it's not high now, for someone who's had a few decent games in League Two, but hasn't been able to step up to League One so far. 

Why not both. Daj & Washington on loan

Just now, AljosaAsanovic said:

Enlighten me? 

I know nothing about Jake Young. I was merely going off what levels they have produced at so far. 

Ones an 18 year old who came through our academy and is already in the building. He went on loan and had a great 6 months. 

Jake Young will cost money and is unproven and 23. Both could work out but it’s easier to support who’s already in the building than someone who isn’t.