UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Absolutely zero need for VAR to get involved for the penalty decision.

Just can't help making themselves centre of attention. 

The cynic in me thinks the refs love their little spotlight moment. 

I'm so glad I don't really bother with football anymore. Every time I sit down to try and enjoy it you get this cack. 

VAR.... It should be so easy to implement. Yet you're still getting controversy? Wtf? 

On 15/06/2024 at 10:02, eddielewis said:

Not that it had any bearing on the result last night I did find that Havertz's penalty was way too egregious in terms of the stopping his momentum before he took it and it should have been retaken. 

When are referees gonna do something about these penalties it was just as bad as the one against scotland.

Edited by eddielewis

Whether or not the VAR decisions were "correct" (in the eyes of the laws), does anybody really think that the game has got any better - or more enjoyable - since it was introduced? It’s not as if it’s taken ‘the human’ element out of the game, or the subjective nature of most (not all) decisions. So you’re still getting the controversy and disagreement about refereeing judgement… but with the added fun [sic] of taking an age for decisions to be made and sucking the fun out of things (football being a form of entertainment after all).  It’s a no from me. Shame the EPL bottled it when they had the chance to get rid at the end of last season. 

Edited by LazloW

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Whether or not the VAR decisions were correct, does anybody really think that the game has got any better - or more enjoyable - since it was introduced? It’s not as if it’s taken ‘the human’ element out of the game, or the subjective nature of most (not all) decisions. So you’re still getting the controversy and disagreement about refereeing judgement… but with the added fun [sic] of taking an age for decisions to be made and sucking the fun out of things (football being a form of entertainment after all).  It’s a no from me. Shame the EPL bottled it when they had the chance to get rid at the end of last season. 

Human error wasn't exactly ruining the sport, was it? 

It's infuriating but we get over it. And it's not like VAR has eradicated it. 

We are at the point now where we measure to the mm and a split second moment can be made to look like a 30 second master plan to handle the ball. 

Most annoyingly it's not stopped pundits pouring over every decision and managers deflecting their own shortcomings onto referees. 

It doesn't protect referees. It gives the egotistical referees their little moment to shine. 

Wtf does it actually do? Who's it a winner for?