UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Hopefully they learn the lessons from that game in terms of effort off the ball and decision making with the ball. I didn't like having Foden and Palmer playing together they seemed to not create enough space for each other and also for Kane. It makes me think is this squad going to be pragmatic and streetwise enough with picking 13 players who have never gone to an international tournament. Serbia next week has all the makings of a game where we have to win ugly or they will do the same to us.

48 minutes ago, cannable said:

Isn’t he just doing what the masses was calling for and going on form? Well who’d’ve thunk it, it’s not working!

Don't think that's entirely the case - might be the odd one or two like ramsdale but most of them were the seasoned starters.

Maguire and Shaw would have been out there if they'd been fit im convinced.

17 hours ago, cannable said:

Isn’t he just doing what the masses was calling for and going on form? Well who’d’ve thunk it, it’s not working!

Yep but now the experts will move on to something else and churning out the next criticism no doubt.

18 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't think that's entirely the case - might be the odd one or two like ramsdale but most of them were the seasoned starters.

Maguire and Shaw would have been out there if they'd been fit im convinced.

Shaw is out there. 

23 hours ago, cannable said:

Who are you thinking about being picked on form over an experienced alternative, who is actually fit to play?

Isn't the only one in that category grealish being left out for palmer?

16 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Who are you thinking about being picked on form over an experienced alternative, who is actually fit to play?

Isn't the only one in that category grealish being left out for palmer?

Henderson, Rashford

23 hours ago, cannable said:

I don’t think so really? Most of the defenders have barely played since January, Trippier has had a really average season but is a trusted main stay. 

I’m not sure who has been picked on form really. Palmer I suppose if you can say being the second top scorer in the division over an entire season is form.

The issue is the defence is crap through a mixture of bad planning and circumstance, there is no complementary partner for Rice and all of the front 4 want to pick up the same positions. 

23 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Henderson, Rashford

Southgate has used rashford previously on the left of the three, but he'd have been behind foden and grealish (or palmer) so who would have given way in the squad for him?

Henderson - has he been picked at all in recent years after he went Saudi? Who's been picked "on form" in his place? I don't know. Is Mason Mount there?

14 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Southgate has used rashford previously on the left of the three, but he'd have been behind foden and grealish (or palmer) so who would have given way in the squad for him?

Henderson - has he been picked at all in recent years after he went Saudi? Who's been picked "on form" in his place? I don't know. Is Mason Mount there?

Well, Wharton and Mainoo have been selected ahead of Henderson and Mount; Eze and Gordon ahead of Rashford and Grealish.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Well, Wharton and Mainoo have been selected ahead of Henderson and Mount; Eze and Gordon ahead of Rashford and Grealish.

Yeah, but apart from them... 😋

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Ah, fair enough.

I don't expect to see them much as Gareth Southgate doesn't tend to rotate a lot during tournaments.

To be fair to him, he's dropped previous favorites before....Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, kalvin Phillips, so it's not as if he has previously completely ignored current form though.

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Mount who hasn't played for England since the 2022 World Cup. He's had a number of injuries this season, woth only 1 start since November.

Southgate began to phase Henderson out of the squad as soon as he moved to Saudi.

Rashford has had a poor season considering he's an attacking winger. This season was his worst minutes per contribution in his professional career.

Grealish has also struggled with injuries and consistency this season. Only 4 goals/assists in the league is a poor return. Only 3 starts in the league since December, with only 4 more coming in other competitions, with only 1 assist (0 goals) in the same period of time.

Wharton, Mainoo, Eze and Gordon have all played well this season. Wharton has already been linked with the likes of Man City and Bayern this summer, whilst Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool have all been linked to Eze - both for £60m+, demonstrating the levels of performances from them so far. Gordon has had as many goals/assists this season as Grealish, Rashford and Mount combined.

One of Southgate's failings has been not upgrading the defence, and that's coming home to roost here. England might be saved by our wealth of attacking talent, but it's hard to break down well-drilled international teams, except us - we're disappointingly frail. As a Ram, but with how he has performed since leaving us, it remains bizarre Tomori has never been given the chance to prove himself the player England needs in the heart of the defence.

37 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

One of Southgate's failings has been not upgrading the defence, and that's coming home to roost here. England might be saved by our wealth of attacking talent, but it's hard to break down well-drilled international teams, except us - we're disappointingly frail. As a Ram, but with how he has performed since leaving us, it remains bizarre Tomori has never been given the chance to prove himself the player England needs in the heart of the defence.

Tomori was unbeatable in any scenario with the ball on the deck… but was poor in the air at even Championship level. In addition, he’s been poor for 18 months.

I’m not really sure what he could have done with the defence. Stones is our best centre-half but isn’t a world-class defender. Maguire plays because he’s the best aerially dominant English centre-half, followed by Dunk. 

And now Rice has developed into a #8, we don’t really have a good defensive midfielder either. Maybe Wharton.

If you want us to be solid you’re sacrificing most of our forward players and getting pace into the side.

39 minutes ago, cannable said:

Tomori was unbeatable in any scenario with the ball on the deck… but was poor in the air at even Championship level. In addition, he’s been poor for 18 months.

I’m not really sure what he could have done with the defence. Stones is our best centre-half but isn’t a world-class defender. Maguire plays because he’s the best aerially dominant English centre-half, followed by Dunk. 

And now Rice has developed into a #8, we don’t really have a good defensive midfielder either. Maybe Wharton.

If you want us to be solid you’re sacrificing most of our forward players and getting pace into the side.

I'd make the argument for Stones having been world class for several years. He's been key for a team that's absolutely dominated the Premier League and won the treble last year. 

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd make the argument for Stones having been world class for several years. He's been key for a team that's absolutely dominated the Premier League and won the treble last year. 

He only appeared in 16 Premier League games last season (according to Wiki) which is hardly key - I saw him as a bit part player. His average appearances over their 4 title-winning seasons is 18.75. I think he has the potential to be a great defender and what we need, but at club level he doesn't play enough - even though it's normally been more than Maguire!