Worst Refereeing decision for and against Derby.

On 15/05/2024 at 14:03, BaaLocks said:

Nish: eight Derby players offside in a line, pretty hard to suggest at least one of them was not interfering with play. Harsh one, but it was hardly the worst decision ever.

For them to be offside, there has to be a pass made, there was no pass, just a kick and chase after by Nish. If a player dribbles past the last defender and scores, it doesn't matter how many of his team mates are offside unless they're actually interfering with the keeper.

This was a genius bit of play by Nish counteracting a well known Man U tactic and it was 100% wrong to be pulled up for it.

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

For them to be offside, there has to be a pass made, there was no pass, just a kick and chase after by Nish. If a player dribbles past the last defender and scores, it doesn't matter how many of his team mates are offside unless they're actually interfering with the keeper.

This was a genius bit of play by Nish counteracting a well known Man U tactic and it was 100% wrong to be pulled up for it.

"Interfering with play" was a much clearer definition than we have today, although it obviously still required the referee to interpret the rule - and sometimes they still got in wrong, as in the Nish case. Leeds fans who still complain about West Brom's winner at Elland Road in 1971 still don't get it. They all complain about Suggett being in an offside position (but not interfering with play) inside their half, for which the linesman flagged but the ref waved 'play on', but I've never seen anyone question whether or not Astle, who scored the goal, was in an offside position when Tony Brown passed to him, because you simply can't tell from the BBC footage.

34 minutes ago, Crewton said:

"Interfering with play" was a much clearer definition than we have today, although it obviously still required the referee to interpret the rule - and sometimes they still got in wrong, as in the Nish case. Leeds fans who still complain about West Brom's winner at Elland Road in 1971 still don't get it. They all complain about Suggett being in an offside position (but not interfering with play) inside their half, for which the linesman flagged but the ref waved 'play on', but I've never seen anyone question whether or not Astle, who scored the goal, was in an offside position when Tony Brown passed to him, because you simply can't tell from the BBC footage.

Think the ref was Ray Tinkler who if I recall correctly witnessed Bremner being booted out of the Wolves dressing room by Mike Bailey after he had tried to offer “incentives” to throw the game. 

On 12/05/2024 at 05:50, Gritstone Ram said:

Don’t forget he disallowed Hendricks goal at the same time when he alleged Martin dived. 

Disallowed a perfectly good goal and sent Chris Martin off when he got fouled. I wont say he should have given a penalty because Hendricks goal should have stood.

Andy Madeley I think was the ref. I would say the worst decision I have seen.

Bobby Madeley was the idiot in charge - his brother Andy is one of the better ones today (not that that's much of an endorsement).

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

To quote the commentary from Barry Davies "I have a strong suspicion that Nish was onside but there were seven or eight players offside and the ref is entitled to say they were interfering with play". It was a tough one, but it was far from the worse decision that has ever gone against us.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

To quote the commentary from Barry Davies "I have a strong suspicion that Nish was onside but there were seven or eight players offside and the ref is entitled to say they were interfering with play". It was a tough one, but it was far from the worse decision that has ever gone against us.

I didn't realise that Barry Davies was the font of all knowledge, he may have had a point of Nish was receiving a pass from another player but he was effectively 'dribbling' the ball through the United defence. The only way the players in an offside position could have been interfering with play is if they were playing like NFL blockers and impeding the United defenders.

13 hours ago, ram59 said:

I didn't realise that Barry Davies was the font of all knowledge, he may have had a point of Nish was receiving a pass from another player but he was effectively 'dribbling' the ball through the United defence. The only way the players in an offside position could have been interfering with play is if they were playing like NFL blockers and impeding the United defenders.

Barry Davies is the font of all knowledge, everyone knows that

I've gone back to the OP on this one - the exam question also calls out decisions for us but, being Derby and general football fans in general, it seems we've rather focused on the empty half of the glass. So, to reinvigorate the thread a couple that we had in our favour.

- The Dwight Gayle penalty against Reading, pretty much ensured our season stayed on track and if it hadn't been given I'd argue we'd all be staring another season in League One in the face.

- The 'second' goal by Real Madrid at the BBG, should never have been given offside, as should our second penalty. We blew it from there but we got given that advantage.

- Wildsmith should have been sent off against Oxford, after that we're never coming back to win it

For us? I remember Big Dave absolutely smashing a West Brom player in the box during the 2007 play off final and getting waved off. Sitting in the crowd I couldn't believe it wasn't a pen..

Against us? Atwell against Forest all day long. Inept from start to finish.

On 08/05/2024 at 21:03, Highgate said:

Best dodgy decision in our favour the penalty against Rotherham in 1986, the most crucial anyway.  

Worst decision, not to give a foul when Roberts elbowed Taylor in the face in 1994...or course that injustice was compounded by Paul Williams' worst attempted clearance in Derby history one second later. Still hurts.

Just went back to see if it was as bad as I remember and it was, although in my head he ducked under it not watched it go past.

On 02/06/2024 at 17:53, Rample said:

Just went back to see if it was as bad as I remember and it was, although in my head he ducked under it not watched it go past.

There didn't seem to be too much spin on it either, ...maybe he was distracted by the fact that he thought the whistle was going to blow for the obvious foul or something! 

And I'd forgotten how bad that Harkes miss was too.... 

On 30/05/2024 at 09:30, BaaLocks said:

- Wildsmith should have been sent off against Oxford, after that we're never coming back to win it

Wildsmith shouldn't have been sent off against Oxford, if a player commits a foul in the penalty area whilst making a genuine effort to play the ball, then a penalty and a yellow card is the correct decision. A ref can only give a penalty and a red card if he feels that the foul is cynical with no attempt to play the ball. Wildsmith just mistimed his challenge.

On 30/05/2024 at 09:30, BaaLocks said:

I've gone back to the OP on this one - the exam question also calls out decisions for us but, being Derby and general football fans in general, it seems we've rather focused on the empty half of the glass. So, to reinvigorate the thread a couple that we had in our favour.

- The Dwight Gayle penalty against Reading, pretty much ensured our season stayed on track and if it hadn't been given I'd argue we'd all be staring another season in League One in the face.

- The 'second' goal by Real Madrid at the BBG, should never have been given offside, as should our second penalty. We blew it from there but we got given that advantage.

1, Gayle incident may have been different with VAR but not a contentious decision to the ref's naked eye.

2, We were robbed in europe far more than we gained.

3, Never a sending off, 

51 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Wildsmith shouldn't have been sent off against Oxford, if a player commits a foul in the penalty area whilst making a genuine effort to play the ball, then a penalty and a yellow card is the correct decision. A ref can only give a penalty and a red card if he feels that the foul is cynical with no attempt to play the ball. Wildsmith just mistimed his challenge.

I don't about that one personally.  Looked half asleep and lazily fouled.  I could see at the time why he went.

On 02/06/2024 at 17:53, Rample said:

Can you imagine that foul on the keeper not being given nowadays? Even then it was an absolutely disgraceful decision, now it would end the referees career.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Can you imagine that foul on the keeper not being given nowadays? Even then it was an absolutely disgraceful decision, now it would end the referees career.

I still don't know how their fullback Coatsworth survived more than 30 minutes.  He should have 2 reds in that period as Johnson tore him a new one.  He was the worst defender i've seen.