James Collins live now on the EFL Pod - talks the end of season & confirms Las Vegas

I wonder if the Vegas trip will mean that we won’t get the retained list until Wednesday or Thursday next week?  You can’t imagine that discussions have happened with everyone this week before they go (though it is possible) nor that the list will be announced without face to face conversation first, so I wonder if those conversations are planned for when they get back and the announcement afterwards.

40 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Collo sounded like a man who already knows that he'll be on board again next season 👍

I thought the same, might be “misreading” him but he spoke like he’s still going to be a part of things and I’m keen for that to happen.

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I thought the same, might be “misreading” him but he spoke like he’s still going to be a part of things and I’m keen for that to happen.

As long as we don't bumble into the season with him being 1st, or even 2nd, choice then we can live with that.

If PW plays the game he did at Rotherham in his 3rd season in the SBC with them, he'll get much better service and better back up from oncoming midfielders. We shall see.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If PW plays the game he did at Rotherham in his 3rd season in the SBC with them, he'll get much better service and better back up from oncoming midfielders. We shall see.

So this keeps getting mentioned. How did he play against some of the league, I wasn't a Roverum fan so don't know?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So this keeps getting mentioned. How did he play against some of the league, I wasn't a Roverum fan so don't know?

... then you probably also read from my posts that RUFC fans were waxing lyrical early season about both the results and the style of play. More expansive than "Warneball". Not just down the outside cross it and hope...

Just now, MadAmster said:

... then you probably also read from my posts that RUFC fans were waxing lyrical early season about both the results and the style of play. More expansive than "Warneball". Not just down the outside cross it and hope...

No I didn't read your posts.

So not just cross it and hope, okay.

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ah, and here we are a few days removed from securing our promotion through a 46 game season in which we achieved a record points total for the club, broke the record for away wins, had the best goal difference in the league, had 19 different goalscorers scoring a variety of goals to see us finish second in the league and for it all to be reduced to “cross it and hope”…. 🤣 never change Roy….

54 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ah, and here we are a few days removed from securing our promotion through a 46 game season in which we achieved a record points total for the club, broke the record for away wins, had the best goal difference in the league, had 19 different goalscorers scoring a variety of goals to see us finish second in the league and for it all to be reduced to “cross it and hope”…. 🤣 never change Roy….

Why don't you read the thread and BACK OFF? I repeated what MadAmster said after I asked what style of football he was suggesting Warne played with Rovrum in the Championship third time.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why don't you read the thread and BACK OFF? I repeated what MadAmster said after I asked what style of football he was suggesting Warne played with Rovrum in the Championship third time.

Sorry Roy, it was genuinely meant light-heartedly, my mistake 

6 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Some people had that view going into this season... 

yup, I did. And he did better than expected. I’d have still preferred we had signed someone instead, like. Now you’re asking him to do it again at a higher standard? No ta. 

7 hours ago, Srg said:

yup, I did. And he did better than expected. I’d have still preferred we had signed someone instead, like. Now you’re asking him to do it again at a higher standard? No ta. 

Better than expected?! Wow you're tough to please! The guy nearly bagged 20 goals, missed a fair chunk of games as he was really hurting his stride and was instrumental in setting the tone for the never say die attitude that was the single biggest factor in our promotion. But as you were proven right to dismiss him once, no doubt you'll be proven right again.

8 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Better than expected?! Wow you're tough to please! The guy nearly bagged 20 goals, missed a fair chunk of games as he was really hurting his stride and was instrumental in setting the tone for the never say die attitude that was the single biggest factor in our promotion. But as you were proven right to dismiss him once, no doubt you'll be proven right again.

14 league goals with numerous penalties, don't go overboard.

He won't be hitting double figures this season. There's nothing wrong with being a realist. Warne dropped him last season as he wasn't good, tried to replace him in the summer and failed. He performed above expectations, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't have been better had we managed to get a replacement. And it certainly doesn't mean he's somehow going to go and perform in the Championship at 33. Bit part muscle when we need to get stuck in is a perfectly fine role for him.

Just watched the Collins section of the pod on YouTube and thought it and he were great.

Funny how just watching someone play on the pitch I had preconceived ideas of what sort of a person he is, but he came across completely differently to how I imagined. Relaxed, friendly, funny, discussed doing his coaching qualifications and pondering media work, that he'd be very good at based on the evidence of this.

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

I may be in the minority but I do believe Collo is more than capable of doing a job for us in the Championship next season

I think I posted elsewhere that I didn't expect him to be first choice, but that he'd be a great squad player. I do hope that the club are restrained though and only offer short-term contracts to the older players. That said, Collo embodies a lot of what is best about this club and if he has secured another contract, it's thoroughly well earned. I think we will look to consolidate next season, not the sexy option I concede, but perhaps a necessary one before we can try to mount a serious challenge and IMO Collo definitely has a part to play in that process.