Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

1 hour ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Why??

Injury prone, unproven. If we’re not giving Brown a chance then why would we give John Jules a contract? He’s not championship level either. No thanks.

Exactly hopefully that means cheap. He has quality just needs to manage his body better. I remember everyone saying the same things about Kacey Palmer eventually he managed to put the niggling injuries behind him and carve out a  fairly decent career.

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

I also don't remember Emil Riis (Jakobsen) particularly standing out for our u23s. He's proved to be another example that stepping down to an appropriate level in order to play first team football is the best way for a young player to fully develop their game. See Elsnik, A.Brown, J.Brown too.

He was also competing with Vernam and Zanzala at the time. He left the club with 7 goals and 4 assists in 30 U23 games. Vernam had 13 goals and 9 assists in 51 games, whislt Zanzala had 12 goals and 3 assists in 32 games. It always seemed like he was 3rd pick out of them.

We also had Cresswell, Stretton and Whittaker emerging from the younger age groups.

I suggested Coburn on loan as a striker option and a long people seemed to agree he’d be a good addition. It’s now being reported by Richard Cawley a good London reporter, that Coburn is being looked at by several championship clubs as a loan option. I really hope we’re in for him it also wouldn’t matter too much he’s on loan as we play middlesborough this weekend so he’d only miss one game more.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I suggested Coburn on loan as a striker option and a long people seemed to agree he’d be a good addition. It’s now being reported by Richard Cawley a good London reporter, that Coburn is being looked at by several championship clubs as a loan option. I really hope we’re in for him it also wouldn’t matter too much he’s on loan as we play middlesborough this weekend so he’d only miss one game more.

He’s very raw isn’t he, is a decent player in there possibly but never seems to kick on hugely.

image.thumb.png.79c7c5a09b6af1cfd50e255bc16a7816.png

image.thumb.png.89b8a79db1dbc70516dd45665dcdd432.png

Good at holding the ball up, good in the air and always in good positions for shots. Obviously had a better time at Bristol Rovers, but wouldn't be against this, thought he did well against us in the 4-2 win.

16 hours ago, MattHunt99 said:

I would love for us to target Joe Taylor especially for 800k the reported asking price but I believe we're cash strapped hence being linked with Woodrow (loan).

I get your point, but other than when we gave Cashin the runaround, when have you seen him play?

Honestly I think if he hadn't played well against us, nobody would mention him.

He has had half a season in league two and half a season in league one so far.

He is 5ft 7 also. Which is pretty small. Not exactly the focal point and bringing others into play striker we need right now imo.

20 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I get your point, but other than when we gave Cashin the runaround, when have you seen him play?

He is 5ft 7 also. Which is pretty small. Not exactly the focal point and bringing others into play striker we need right now imo.

To be fair I think 21 goals in a season (yes split between L1 and L2, but in a poor L2 team and, until he joined, an average L1 team) is bound to have people taking notice especially when, but not just because of, it included a very decent performance against us.

If a player like that is available for a fair amount I’d be surprised if we weren’t looking, but I’d also be surprised if 10-15 clubs weren’t looking which obviously drives costs up. 

35 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If your fast enough, you push the defence back and stop them supporting midfield. This fella is Saunders and Sturridge rapid and will not allow a defence to set.  With a target man it's easy without a pacy forward alongside.   He'd be a good addition on that alone and i fancy he'd get goals. A  target man is an additional option and would have a role but other options are needed. 

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

He was top goalscorer for both Colchester and Lincoln last season, despite only playing half a season at each. He's 21 years old and seemingly available for under £1m. Granted, he isn't a target striker, but you play someone else in that role if you have a player with the electric pace that Taylor has. Players can be improve on their technique and ability but being absolutely rapid is unteachable. 

He reminds me of the transfers of Waghorn or Marriott. The summer prior to joining Derby at inflated fees, they join Ipswich and Peterborough for circa £250k each. We paid about £5m each for them just 12 months later. If Taylor joined, scored 10 goals, he'd both worth £10m+ in this market for his age and potential. Woodrow feels to me like a Mel signing, buying only on high profile name.

Looking at Woodrow's stats and profile, he's turning 30 in December so resale value would be diminishing. He's also had large chunks injured over each of the last few seasons. The max he's scored in one Championship season was 14 in 19/20. Then more recently;

21/22 Championship: Barnsley, 4 goals in 28 league games. 2263 minutes - 1 goal per 565.75 minutes/6.28 games.

22/23 Championship: Luton, 2 goals in 27 league games. 738 minutes - 1 goal per 369 minutes/4.10 games.

23/24 Premiership: Luton, 1 goal in 24 league games. 408 minutes - 1 goal per 408 minutes/4.53 games.

I'd be much more inclined to use James Collins as the target man since he's already at the club, and invest in the future potential of Taylor. Sure, most Derby supporters would've only seen him the once against us, but he made a highly rated Cashin look absolutely turd and running through treacle many times over. Sure he didn't score that game, but he could've easily had a hat trick, after that game he couldn't stop scoring. He's come through non league the hard way, got a move to Peterborough, they made big profit flogging him to Luton during their promotion season, then obviously now they have bigger fish to fry.

11 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

He was top goalscorer for both Colchester and Lincoln last season, despite only playing half a season at each. He's 21 years old and seemingly available for under £1m. Granted, he isn't a target striker, but you play someone else in that role if you have a player with the electric pace that Taylor has. Players can be improve on their technique and ability but being absolutely rapid is unteachable. 

He reminds me of the transfers of Waghorn or Marriott. The summer prior to joining Derby at inflated fees, they join Ipswich and Peterborough for circa £250k each. We paid about £5m each for them just 12 months later. If Taylor joined, scored 10 goals, he'd both worth £10m+ in this market for his age and potential. Woodrow feels to me like a Mel signing, buying only on high profile name.

Looking at Woodrow's stats and profile, he's turning 30 in December so resale value would be diminishing. He's also had large chunks injured over each of the last few seasons. The max he's scored in one Championship season was 14 in 19/20. Then more recently;

21/22 Championship: Barnsley, 4 goals in 28 league games. 2263 minutes - 1 goal per 565.75 minutes/6.28 games.

22/23 Championship: Luton, 2 goals in 27 league games. 738 minutes - 1 goal per 369 minutes/4.10 games.

23/24 Premiership: Luton, 1 goal in 24 league games. 408 minutes - 1 goal per 408 minutes/4.53 games.

I'd be much more inclined to use James Collins as the target man since he's already at the club, and invest in the future potential of Taylor. Sure, most Derby supporters would've only seen him the once against us, but he made a highly rated Cashin look absolutely turd and running through treacle many times over. Sure he didn't score that game, but he could've easily had a hat trick, after that game he couldn't stop scoring. He's come through non league the hard way, got a move to Peterborough, they made big profit flogging him to Luton during their promotion season, then obviously now they have bigger fish to fry.

Fair points.

Only thing with Collins. He isn't a target man for me. Doesnt win much in the air and hold up play non existent. Also never stays up top. He is all over the place when he comes on, out wide, left back spot. He just needs to stay up front, between the posts.

19 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Fair points.

Only thing with Collins. He isn't a target man for me. Doesnt win much in the air and hold up play non existent. Also never stays up top. He is all over the place when he comes on, out wide, left back spot. He just needs to stay up front, between the posts.

Agreed, he was a easy example as the existing senior striker at the club. Perhaps Yates could be that. Collins infuriates me constantly by drifting out wide all the time. You're a centre forward, stick in the central channels and get on the end of crosses. Strikers of any shape and size cost good money, look at that chap that left QPR for Bristol (?), Osula, Kieffer Moore etc. Swansea spent £2.5m on Yates last summer, while Preston spent £3m on Osmajic who scored 8 goals. 

Seeing reports now linking us to Jebbison on loan, no doubt paying for a sizeable loan fee. I'd much rather have Taylor on a permanent transfer where we'd benefit from any uprise in value. Especially when he's seemingly available for a "Barker size" fee.

Looking into Scotland, Aberdeen are selling their top striker for £4.2m basic rising to over £7m in bonuses plus sell on clauses. He cost them £500k 2 seasons ago. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/bojan-miovski-record-aberdeen-transfer-33444099

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

16 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Agreed, he was a easy example as the existing senior striker at the club. Perhaps Yates could be that. Collins infuriates me constantly by drifting out wide all the time. You're a centre forward, stick in the central channels and get on the end of crosses. Strikers of any shape and size cost good money, look at that chap that left QPR for Bristol (?), Osula, Kieffer Moore etc. Swansea spent £2.5m on Yates last summer, while Preston spent £3m on Osmajic who scored 8 goals. 

Seeing reports now linking us to Jebbison on loan, no doubt paying for a sizeable loan fee. I'd much rather have Taylor on a permanent transfer where we'd benefit from any uprise in value. Especially when he's seemingly available for a "Barker size" fee.

Looking into Scotland, Aberdeen are selling their top striker for £4.2m basic rising to over £7m in bonuses plus sell on clauses. He cost them £500k 2 seasons ago. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/bojan-miovski-record-aberdeen-transfer-33444099

Yeah he does me too. I actually think Collins is a very good finisher, but he is just not in the positions often enough. I am pretty sure Warne has mentioned it previously as well, that he essentially needs to stay between the posts.

I just dont know if this striker market is that mental that we are just thinking a loan is best. If £15 million is getting you Osula and £2.5 million is getting you Sinclair Armstrong. It is crazy and maybe a better value at the moment is to loan.

27 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Collins infuriates me constantly by drifting out wide all the time. You're a centre forward, stick in the central channels and get on the end of crosses.

He doesn't infuriate me because often (granted, not always) he'd drift wide through necessity. In games he was playing up front on his own he often had to be the person who picked up the long ball out of defence in order to give it to the winger, otherwise the ball would have either gone out of play or to an unopposed opposition player.

There's no point standing in the middle waiting for crosses to come in when the opposition have the ball.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Andrew Moran is set to go back out on loan from Brighton. A good number 10 who had his first loan last year at Blackburn where was used as a winger for the majority but still managed 4 goals and 9 assists in 41 games. Highly regarded by Brighton and Ireland and expected to have a bright future. He was  in the 86th percentile for chances created last year for players in similar leagues in the same position. 

Zetterstrom, Wiredu and Woodrow fit the brief in terms of attributes for three of the roles PW is looking for (GK, quick CB and hold up forward)... and personally I'd be happy with all three! With Dembele going to QPR, I still think we could do with a similar kind of player to him though! A couple of players in leagues we've reportedly looked at with similar stats (yes, I am going on stats as I haven't seen either of them play... haha) are Musa Juwara at Vejle and Louicius Don Deedson (what a name!) at Odense, both in Denmark. Wonder if either of them have made it on to any of our 'watch lists'?