Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

On 04/07/2024 at 08:52, RYRAM said:

Great signing and they have the right to buy at the end. 

Dear I say burton are going for it. 

Maybe take a few years but making big steps 

I didn't really see what Chelsea saw. Good footballer but physically if you are quite small and not particularly fast you have to be a very good footballer 

30 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I don't think we'll be paying £1M for any player.

Sad state of affairs if you're right. 

There's a difference between keeping money tight and spending nothing. We even spent £1m a couple of times under Clough.

8 minutes ago, sage said:

I didn't really see what Chelsea saw. Good footballer but physically if you are quite small and not particularly fast you have to be a very good footballer 

Long term, I saw him as CM for us. Interestingly, he ended up regularly playing as a LCB for Chelsea in his 2nd season

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cashin, Rooney, Nyambe, Wilson, Fornah, Thompson, DRobinson, Blackett-Taylor are 26 and under. 

We've been very strongly linked to signing Doudmijn (22) and Hinshelwood (19), with rumours for Dembele (21) and Al-Hamadi (22)

So you now agree we should be looking at younger players? Thomson is the one for me that could improve with a run of games . IN HIS CORRECT POSITION. Not as a 5 minute sub . 

9 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

So you now agree we should be looking at younger players? Thomson is the one for me that could improve with a run of games . IN HIS CORRECT POSITION. Not as a 5 minute sub . 

You said we have enough players who will be at least 30 during the season. I still disagree with that statement.

For example, I can see us having a very youthful midfield (potentially 4 options who are 22 or younger). An experienced player such as 33 year old Ollie Norwood would be a very good signing.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You said we have enough players who will be at least 30 during the season. I still disagree with that statement.

For example, I can see us having a very youthful midfield (potentially 4 options who are 22 or younger). An experienced player such as 33 year old Ollie Norwood would be a very good signing.

How can we watch the improvement in a midfield with a lack of an old man slowing it down and think bringing another in would be good? Ebou at 28 would be fine. We will have plenty of experience, potentially 30+ at GK, LB, CB, RW, LW. If you want the experience in midfield, play Osborne there who can still move.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

So , no plan for the future then ? Just fighting relegation with Sonny B and Co . You aren’t giving me much to look forward to . 

That’s not what I meant if you read my comment again, I was referring to this season

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

How can we watch the improvement in a midfield with a lack of an old man slowing it down and think bringing another in would be good? Ebou at 28 would be fine. We will have plenty of experience, potentially 30+ at GK, LB, CB, RW, LW. If you want the experience in midfield, play Osborne there who can still move.

Even at 33, Norwood still covers a lot of ground (12km in a game vs Fulham last season) and had a very high defensive contribution compared with other PL DMs. He also still creates chances, ranking as "average" despite being in a poor Sheff Utd side last season.

I feel he'd be a very good and reliable backup option and prove his worth in seeing games out.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Sad state of affairs if you're right. 

There's a difference between keeping money tight and spending nothing. We even spent £1m a couple of times under Clough.

Total income this season will be up. That doesn't mean we will have extra to pay on players. 22/23 we made a loss of £10M. 23/24, IMO, we will have made a smaller loss but still a loss. The extra money will likely mean we can break even rather than make a loss. David Clowes has been consistent in saying the club will be sustainable and self sufficient. He can't keep covering losses.

He is said to be worth around £250M. Not much of that is in the form of cash, liquid assets. It's all tied up in land, buildings, a football stadium, plant and machinery, building materials... there is no magic money tree.

On 03/07/2024 at 12:50, Big Bad Bob said:

There really appears to be a feeling across the forum of writing players off before we start the season. Didn't Bradley come to us off a season of captaining Luton to the premier league, but we are writing him off before we kick off our championship season?

I really wish we had a sense of unity in trusting in Warne and getting behind the players that are picked to play for Derby ☹️

I don't know if it's writing someone off. He came in with high expectations because of his age, experience, and recent record, plus he was dropping down a division. He started off really really badly, and very slowly improved across the season. Then he headbutted someone for a stupid red card at a crucial stage of the season, and we already had players missing through injury. It's not just his form, he comes across like a bit of a kn*bhead too.
This is in contrast to Nelson, who seems like a calm, collected head, as well as a very dependable CB.

Bradley couldn't hack it in League One, so why would he be better in the Championship? I hope he proves me wrong, obvs.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Even at 33, Norwood still covers a lot of ground (12km in a game vs Fulham last season) and had a very high defensive contribution compared with other PL DMs. He also still creates chances, ranking as "average" despite being in a poor Sheff Utd side last season.

I feel he'd be a very good and reliable backup option and prove his worth in seeing games out.

No one said Hourihane couldn't run, he, like a late era Bryson, could run a marathon tomorrow. Just had the agility of a retiree.

I don’t this is about age necessarily but definitely about experience. There have been times over the last 4-5 years when we missed an experienced head, someone to take the pace out of a game or pick up a foul for a cynical professional foul. Think back to John Eustace - wasn’t quick, didn’t cover loads of miles but at times was the most important player on the pitch. I’m all for the energy and pace of younger players but it’s all about the right balance 

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

George Dobson the ex Charlton captain and midfielders move abroad is off , now out of contract again , well worth a look , impressed me last season

He’s a competent enough player but he’s one of many defensive midfielders we’ve looked at.

I don’t think he’s a step up on other current players or players we’ve been linked with.

Just now, CapeTownRams said:

Still not seeing that really good creative midfielder on the horizon…

I think we’re going to get a few more players in. At present, there’s no obvious first eleven.

I think when we do get more players in, a few will recognise the need to move elsewhere.

I hope Ward and Wilson stay, but with Nyambe back and options still to come in midfield, it’s hard to see them starting regularly.

Likewise Barks, Wash and Fornah.

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mo Bob would love a stat like that , after all he has been brought in to source players through stat based intel . I noticed Spain had a 16 year old in their Euro team last night . Wonder if his stats are off the charts. 

A player I’d love us to look at is Chris Willock (26). He’s able play on both wings aswell as the number 10. Didn’t have his best season last year with only 4 goals and 4 assists but QPR were pretty awful as a whole for the majority of the season. He’s coming into his prime years and in the two seasons before last he got 13 goals and 13 assists in 67 league games. Hes a great dribbler and also has good numbers for winning the ball high up the pitch. He’s still in talks with QPR over a new contract but hasn’t even travelled with them to their pre season tour where they’ve brought trailists etc.