Ball Retrieval Team aka Ball Boys

rammieib

Rather than criticise the ball boys / girls, we should be looking at what we do (or more to the point don't do) when we get the throw-ins. I have sympathy for whoever takes them - there's virtually no movement to receive the throw in space and it's not just this season or even Warne's tenure - it's been a poor feature of our play for a number of seasons.

It drives me mad!

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Rather than criticise the ball boys / girls, we should be looking at what we do (or more to the point don't do) when we get the throw-ins. I have sympathy for whoever takes them - there's virtually no movement to receive the throw in space and it's not just this season or even Warne's tenure - it's been a poor feature of our play for a number of seasons.

It drives me mad!

100% agree. It’s like no one wants the ball. 
The first half in particular; how many times were we caught offside and how long was the ball out of play? It was a painful watch. 

Edited by Rambam

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can you call them Ball Boys anymore, isn't it politically correct to call them Ball Kids or Ball Children?

Continual Play Assistance Operatives may well be the appropriate term. But it also may well not be!

2 hours ago, Rambam said:

100% agree. It’s like no one wants the ball. 
The first half in particular; how many times were we caught offside and how long was the ball out of play? It was a painful watch. 

Well I have a great idea on the ball out of play time....

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, hence why I gave my opinion that I don't think young kids, who are probably having their dream day out, should be being put under the microscope and having criticism thrown at them.

Sorry, I don’t get that at all. It shouldn’t be their “dream day out” they are there to do a fairly simple job for which I assume they receive some instructions. If it was a one off opportunity at somewhere like Wembley then I could understand it but not when they are there every other week at PP (I assume it’s the same kids. If I’m wrong then ignore the rest of this post and the criticism should be levelled at the club). If the kids are too young to deal with such a task then fair enough, the club should use older boys and girls, but they look old enough to me. Regarding having criticism thrown at them, I agree no one should be shouting at them and abusing them at the game (although there is nowt wrong with a bit of “come on, get a move on”) but I don’t see anything wrong with criticism them on a forum like this.

"A dream day out" should be a meet & greet with Rammie and his better half/sister/secretary/pretty young niece(🤷‍♂️), and maybe a tour of the facilities, before retiring for pre-match juice and microwave pizza in the community hub.

Gone should be the days of including them to dither about trying to retrieve a ball for a professional sporting club with ambitions of conquering the world (or evening Middle England, for that matter!)

There's plenty of other opportunities to entrap the poor little mites into the grasp of DCFC.

On 10/02/2024 at 22:43, rammieib said:

I honestly don’t understand why all teams don’t take quick free kicks/throw ins. When the whistle goes, you momentarily switch off - it’s the best chance to unhinge an opposition defence. Granted - we’re not blessed with pace at the top of the pitch but regardless - whilst we wait five minutes to take a set piece, the opposition get organised.

Teams do appear to switch off, like we did in the 88th minute last weekend. Many free kicks/throws aren't taken quickly because the opposition stands right in front of the ball or wanders off with it or kicks it away, preventing a quick take. The instructions issued to refs at the start of the season included stamping down on this. It hasn't happened. It should have.

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry, I don’t get that at all. It shouldn’t be their “dream day out” they are there to do a fairly simple job for which I assume they receive some instructions. If it was a one off opportunity at somewhere like Wembley then I could understand it but not when they are there every other week at PP (I assume it’s the same kids. If I’m wrong then ignore the rest of this post and the criticism should be levelled at the club). If the kids are too young to deal with such a task then fair enough, the club should use older boys and girls, but they look old enough to me. Regarding having criticism thrown at them, I agree no one should be shouting at them and abusing them at the game (although there is nowt wrong with a bit of “come on, get a move on”) but I don’t see anything wrong with criticism them on a forum like this.

Maybe I've misunderstood, I thought ball boys were just representatives from local grass roots teams, cant say I pay much attention to them.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe I've misunderstood, I thought ball boys were just representatives from local grass roots teams, cant say I pay much attention to them.

Certainly not enough attention to get into a tizz when they don't throw the ball back quickly enough / throw it back too quickly (delete as applicable).

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

"A dream day out" should be a meet & greet with Rammie and his better half/sister/secretary/pretty young niece(🤷‍♂️), and maybe a tour of the facilities, before retiring for pre-match juice and microwave pizza in the community hub.

Gone should be the days of including them to dither about trying to retrieve a ball for a professional sporting club with ambitions of conquering the world (or evening Middle England, for that matter!)

There's plenty of other opportunities to entrap the poor little mites into the grasp of DCFC.

And good evening to you too @Mucker1884. Very good of you.