Wondering what if...

therealhantsram

Good figures, although the key numbers on that are at 5 and 6 instead of 1 and 2.

The strongest teams in the division spread their goals amongst the squad. What happens if/when Rhodes or May get injured? Suspect Blackpool and Charlton would have some difficulty replacing them. 

I think there is only one attacking player we could not afford to lose to injury and that’s NML. Any of the other players we could probably patch up with other players fairly easily (from a goalscoring perspective). 

The thing is it wasn’t even that we couldn’t afford them. Rhodes messed us around and didn’t show up for his medical - it’s not often I agree with Warne’s quite extreme “character” policy with new signings, but I wouldn’t want a player here who did that. No matter how many goals he’s scored since. 

The Alfie May one does frustrate me though. Available for £250k, surely to goodness we could’ve afforded to spend SOME money after the sales we made. Absolute bargain in my opinion, and I’m not remotely surprised to see him banging the goals in - he was the best player on the pitch when he played us last season. 

We’re doing pretty well without them of course, and you don’t HAVE to have a 20 goals striker to get promoted - if you spread the goals out like we’re doing. But I do feel the fine line between us and the top 2 at the moment is down to our weaker attacking threat compared to our defensive solidity. We never really replaced McGoldrick - as talented as John-Jules is, there’s little point in signing a player who can’t actually start a football match. The absolute number one priority this window has to be that top quality moment 9 in my opinion.

I thought Alfie May was only interested in a move further south. At the time, he said he was delighted to be at Charlton. “I’m a local lad so to come back home with my family means a lot”. 

I was hoping he’d come here too but I suppose it’s not just about money all of the time. I guess we’ll never know for sure. 

14 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

I thought Alfie May was only interested in a move further south. At the time, he said he was delighted to be at Charlton. “I’m a local lad so to come back home with my family means a lot”. 

I was hoping he’d come here too but I suppose it’s not just about money all of the time. I guess we’ll never know for sure. 

I think that he wanted a megabucks contract as well.