January Reinforcements

sage

5 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Young strikers from Norwich and Brighton I’ve heard recently 

plus exploring championship players with few minutes - Gregory , Juke , Joseph at Leeds, and Maja at West Brom are some of the names I’ve heard.

Oxford guy has been allegedly concentrating on summer recruitment. 

Josh Maja on loan would be pretty spectacular 

6 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Young strikers from Norwich and Brighton I’ve heard recently 

plus exploring championship players with few minutes - Gregory , Juke , Joseph at Leeds, and Maja at West Brom are some of the names I’ve heard.

Oxford guy has been allegedly concentrating on summer recruitment. 

Mark O’Mahony from Brighton I’d imagine. He’s very good for Ireland underage aswell as Brighton u21s.

Josh Maja is injured until the end of April so I very much doubt that one.

Would be rude to not mention Juke in a transfer window. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Maybe a loan out? He does need game time, and to learn the role a bit more.

I always thought he'd be one for the future, given Hourihane and probably Bird departing at season end. So a development loan would make more sense to me. 

Can't see a transfer fee generating much? 

To me, he's shown enough to be worthy of game time here. Take minutes from Hourihane, he doesn't need them and maybe he can actually be more useful with more energy in the tank.

Just now, Eoghan1884 said:

Mark O’Mahony from Brighton I’d imagine. He’s very good for Ireland underage aswell as Brighton u21s.

Josh Maja is injured until the end of April so I very much doubt that one.

Would be rude to not mention Juke in a transfer window. 

So Maja was explored earlier in the window and ended up going for TJJ. There’s a striker list in double figures. Also the JCH link is still not going away so watch this space.  Also looking at Northern Ireland , Scotland and Non league too!

2 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Aboah is the Norwich one I believe 

Aboh.

Scored a lot of goals in kids football... but so has Dajaune Brown. So what's the point?

6 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

So Maja was explored earlier in the window and ended up going for TJJ. There’s a striker list in double figures. Also the JCH link is still not going away so watch this space.  Also looking at Northern Ireland , Scotland and Non league too!

There's no way our useless scouts are looking at multiple avenues and leagues it's not the derby way!!!!! All itk credibility gone now from straight lies 👀😂

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

To me, he's shown enough to be worthy of game time here. Take minutes from Hourihane, he doesn't need them and maybe he can actually be more useful with more energy in the tank.

He looks like a technically decent player and he's mobile and stuff, but he just seems to have no awareness of what's going on around him.  He gets caught in possession a lot when we have the ball, and he lets players run off him when we don't have it.  And both of those things are absolutely suicidal given the way we play.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

He looks like a technically decent player and he's mobile and stuff, but he just seems to have no awareness of what's going on around him.  He gets caught in possession a lot when we have the ball, and he lets players run off him when we don't have it.  And both of those things are absolutely suicidal given the way we play.

With a huge asterisk with the fact that a lot of his minutes and when these lapses occur is when Hourihane is on the pitch, who is completely unable to cover any ground whatsoever and is the common denominator in our porous midfield.

He needs to improve, of course he does, but he's also of an age where he can. Stick him with Bird there and it would help.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Aboh.

Scored a lot of goals in kids football... but so has Dajaune Brown. So what's the point?

Brown playing regular men's football is better for his personal development than warming the bench for us. I get that replacing like-for-like seems pointless from an overall squad point of view, but if a loan is the best move for the player, couldn't it be seen as a progressive thing that we're prioritising his development? Especially given some of the criticism aimed at Warne regarding youth.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Brown playing regular men's football is better for his personal development than warming the bench for us. I get that replacing like-for-like seems pointless from an overall squad point of view, but if a loan is the best move for the player, couldn't it be seen as a progressive thing that we're prioritising his development? Especially given some of the criticism aimed at Warne regarding youth.

You could look at it that way, but you could equally just wonder why we were so reluctant to give Brown minutes even when the opportunity arose, to then just do this... who's also a kid in the same situation. Would Warne even use him? He didn't Brown. All hypothetical of course, don't expect this is the guy we are even after.

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Am I crazy for being genuinely annoyed if we get rid of Fornah? Hopefully, it's all nonsense and he's going nowhere, but if he does go, I'd be so frustrated.

No I don’t think your crazy , I personally think there’s a player in there but I do wonder if there’s a problem, does he believe he should be starting every game and not great in squad unity terms if he is not ? Of course i could be miles off but something has not seemed right since early on when he had a few disappointing games and seemed to go off the radar , could be he just doesn’t fit personality wise with the ethos trying to be instilled? It happens 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

With a huge asterisk with the fact that a lot of his minutes and when these lapses occur is when Hourihane is on the pitch, who is completely unable to cover any ground whatsoever and is the common denominator in our porous midfield.

He needs to improve, of course he does, but he's also of an age where he can. Stick him with Bird there and it would help.

I don't think that's really anything to do with it.  I'm talking about stuff when it's very clearly his man who he just leaves, or when he just dawdles on the ball for far too long and gets caught out.  And he's 24, he's not going to improve this stuff massively, especially since he seems to be on Warne's don't-trust list and isn't going to get time on the pitch to learn this stuff.

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

👏 Can't say he looked much more than 'keen', running around lots. If he's not 'ready' I'd rather we got Robinson or Fapetu 'ready'.

Just now, hintonsboots said:

Can’t understand all the Hourihane criticism. 4 goals and 7 assists this season and played way out of position. He’s a number 8 or 10 and being asked to play as a No4. With Adams in the side, CH will show how good he is at this level.

Because he can't move. He could have 35 yards of open grass and he would treat it like a free kick. He slows the play down massively and turns it into walking football. He is a turnstile out of possession who lets anyone and everyone past him with minimal effort. His idea of closing down is a slow jog to five yards away and then pointing for a team mate. His stats are massively inflated by taking every single set piece we have when he's on the pitch.

Clearly he can still strike a ball, but not sure the deficiencies he has that we have been unable to cover up, are worth it at this point. Maybe if he can play less minutes he can play at a higher tempo for shorter periods... but I'm not sure it's a fitness thing. He seems like a end of career Bryson in that regard, where he could probably run all day, but he's not athletic enough to twist and turn with any short-area quickness anymore.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

You could look at it that way, but you could equally just wonder why we were so reluctant to give Brown minutes even when the opportunity arose, to then just do this... who's also a kid in the same situation. Would Warne even use him? He didn't Brown. All hypothetical of course, don't expect this is the guy we are even after.

Because not giving minutes to someone else's youngster, whilst ours plays regularly, is surely the best outcome for our academy prospect in that situation isn't it? 

I'm not sure keeping on playing him at this level is necessarily the best thing for his development. If he struggles to make an impact, there's a good chance it could damage his confidence. Getting regular gametime at non-league level, where he can hopefully get the knack of scoring goals in the men's game sounds spot on for where he's at. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Because not giving minutes to someone else's youngster, whilst ours plays regularly, is surely the best outcome for our academy prospect in that situation isn't it? 

I'm not sure keeping on playing him at this level is necessarily the best thing for his development. If he struggles to make an impact, there's a good chance it could damage his confidence. Getting regular gametime at non-league level, where he can hopefully get the knack of scoring goals in the men's game sounds spot on for where he's at. 

It would be, but how far down the list are we if that's the option we are looking at for our striking issues. May as well just have Lennon Wheeldon on the bench or something if that's what it would be for.