Soft Underbelly!

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RAM1966 said:

It was humour....

I agree with most of what you say.

Wash and Bradley are woeful in my opinion.  I think you can expect errors at this level though.

The problem is the style of the football.  Stevie Mac would do something with his squad, deffo missing a decent striker, not sure why that was not addressed though, don't hit the onion bag, you don't win games, its simple...

Stevie Mac, got us playing some pretty football but still didn’t get us promoted , never had a plan b, would a third spell be any different

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well did he sign players to play that system or did he sign a 'mish mash'?

Also you didn't answer on whether you want him playing injured players or not?

He signed players to play 3 at the back with wingbacks, but he didn't do it very well.

He didn't sign a LWB he signed a traditional LB who'd never played LWB. Albeit a small sample size, In his few performances for us so far Elder has looked like a fish out of whatever, wherever he's played.

Sonny Bradley had played in a back 3 for Luton, but never in the same style as Warne wants it played. There's more than one way to play any given formation and the way we did 3 at the back everything was too open, there were too many gaps and nobody had the pace to cover them.

Nelson is certainly more of a 4 at the back guy too. I trust him to do well in a 3 but it's doesn't make it his game.

He signed two RWBs (Ward & Wilson) neither of whom are noted for their defensive qualities (the exact opposite). We looked awful defensively in the games with his back 3 and Ward at RWB. Ward's injury forced a change in formation, but there's nothing to say we'd have suddenly improved had that not been the case, had we continued with Warne's preferred system.

He's signed a player (Fornah) who's had some success playing as a defensive midfielder at Reading, but instead of replicating that he's been played in advance of someone sitting deeper than him (Smith), struggled in and now been dropped, even for a game against an opposition where his energy and physicality would possibly have been advantageous. (Warne has then complained that we weren't physical enough, while picking Hourihane as a CDM...)

Nyambe is a quality player, but what's his best position? RCB in 3 at the back is already covered by Nelson and Nyambe wouldn't be a backup RCB, but he also wouldn't be a RWB (and we already have two of them already!).

Has he signed a mish mash? It's bordering on that IMO, but it's an unbalanced and confused mess, mish mash or not.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

Warne said, via BBC Sport Derby presenter Dominic Dietrich: “His agent reached out to me in early window, I didn’t want to sign him. That’s the honest truth, however, when he came in for Fozzy’s testimonial I really liked him. I’m really glad he’s joined the party.”

Thats one hell of a leap to get from the quote to above to Warne being 'openly candid how he stubbornly did not rate him whatsoever'. Id call that poetic licence at best and a completely made up think at worst.

21 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

He signed players to play 3 at the back with wingbacks, but he didn't do it very well.

He didn't sign a LWB he signed a traditional LB who'd never played LWB. Albeit a small sample size, In his few performances for us so far Elder has looked like a fish out of whatever, wherever he's played.

Sonny Bradley had played in a back 3 for Luton, but never in the same style as Warne wants it played. There's more than one way to play any given formation and the way we did 3 at the back everything was too open, there were too many gaps and nobody had the pace to cover them.

Nelson is certainly more of a 4 at the back guy too. I trust him to do well in a 3 but it's doesn't make it his game.

He signed two RWBs (Ward & Wilson) neither of whom are noted for their defensive qualities (the exact opposite). We looked awful defensively in the games with his back 3 and Ward at RWB. Ward's injury forced a change in formation, but there's nothing to say we'd have suddenly improved had that not been the case, had we continued with Warne's preferred system.

He's signed a player (Fornah) who's had some success playing as a defensive midfielder at Reading, but instead of replicating that he's been played in advance of someone sitting deeper than him (Smith), struggled in and now been dropped, even for a game against an opposition where his energy and physicality would possibly have been advantageous. (Warne has then complained that we weren't physical enough, while picking Hourihane as a CDM...)

Nyambe is a quality player, but what's his best position? RCB in 3 at the back is already covered by Nelson and Nyambe wouldn't be a backup RCB, but he also wouldn't be a RWB (and we already have two of them already!).

Has he signed a mish mash? It's bordering on that IMO, but it's an unbalanced and confused mess, mish mash or not.

Fair enough, cant say I followed any of the players careers before they came here but Id say there is only Elder and Bradley that have looked uncomfortable with where they have been asked to play. 

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thats one hell of a leap to get from the quote to above to Warne being 'openly candid how he stubbornly did not rate him whatsoever'. Id call that poetic licence at best and a completely made up think at worst.

I think there's been a bit of a crossover from his comments about Chris Martin & Martyn Waghorn here.

Martyn Martin. What a name. What a player!

He dismissed links to Martin by making it clear that he's not his sort of player. Comments surrounding Waghorn were that he got the impression he was a bit "big time" in his attitude but that it couldn't have been further from the truth once he met him.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair enough, cant say I followed any of the players careers before they came here but Id say there is only Elder and Bradley that have looked uncomfortable with where they have been asked to play. 

And have the others been any actual use?

I saw your analysis earlier so don't need a repeat or anything about injuries etc....but have any of these signings made you sit up and think "I'm glad we've got him"!

Hasn't done so for me tbh

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

And have the others been any actual use?

I saw your analysis earlier so don't need a repeat or anything about injuries etc....but have any of these signings made you sit up and think "I'm glad we've got him"!

Hasn't done so for me tbh

Not really, but we are a League One team, who have not paid any transfer fees for whatever reason, so I'm not expecting us to sign world beaters and maybe this is where some of our fans need to take a look at their own expectations maybe?

For free signings, I think Vickers, Ward, Wilson, Nelson and Fornah will all be decent at this level. 

Edited by G STAR RAM

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not really, but we are a League One team, who have not paid any transfer fees for whatever reason, so I'm not expecting us to sign world beaters and maybe this is where some of our fans need to take a look at their own expectations maybe?

For free signings, I think Vickers, Ward, Wilson, Nelson and Fornah will all be decent at this level. 

I don’t think wanting the Rams to be more than a mid table League 1 team is too much to expect is it? From what you have seen on the pitch this season, what makes you think Warne can turn this around?

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I don’t think wanting the Rams to be more than a mid table League 1 team is too much to expect is it? From what you have seen on the pitch this season, what makes you think Warne can turn this around?

Not much to be fair, but then I look at the league table and see that as badly as we have played, and despite all of the injuries, we are still only 8 points off 2nd place with 2/3rds of the season still to play. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Not much to be fair, but then I look at the league table and see that as badly as we have played, and despite all of the injuries, we are still only 8 points off 2nd place with 2/3rds of the season still to play. 

And enjoying the football 😊

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

“Only” 8 points. Well then! 

35 minutes ago, nottingram said:

“Only” 8 points. Well then! 

Yep. 

Remember the run we went on last season?

Remember where Villa at Xmas the season they beat us in the play offs?

5 or 6 players to come back to full fitness. 

Do you think 8 points is insurmountable between now and the end of the season then?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep. 

Remember the run we went on last season?

Remember where Villa at Xmas the season they beat us in the play offs?

5 or 6 players to come back to full fitness. 

Do you think 8 points is insurmountable between now and the end of the season then?

I have seen very little that suggests we are capable of making up 8 points, yes. 

I don’t have much faith we’ll get players fit again. Some because they are very injury prone, some because I am concerned that the muscle and soft tissue injuries we have so far sustained are perhaps not coincidental although I am of course no expert in such matters. 

I don’t think us last season is particularly relevant. We have lost the player who dragged us through lots of those games. I certainly know that a different team in a different league half a decade ago isn’t relevant at all. 

If the question is whether it was more or less likely 8 points is recoverable if we changed manager then I know what the answer would be.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Warne literally said he assumed he'd be a big time Charlie and a disruption in the changing room. That was an assumption he'd pulled squarely out of his own bum, having never spoken to or spent time with Waggy.

14 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Warne literally said he assumed he'd be a big time Charlie and a disruption in the changing room. That was an assumption he'd pulled squarely out of his own bum, having never spoken to or spent time with Waggy.

So nothing to do with him rating his ability then.

Maybe it was from when Waghorn was boasting about being a snip at £5m? Although obviously people on the inside knew it was tongue in cheek.