Can anyone actually name a single improvement Warne has done since arriving?

GeneralRam

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We definitely need to improve, but is it usual for us to be playing our best football in October? In my lifetime I don’t ever recall us being strong starters.

usually the derby way is to play really well until just after christmas then tail off...

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Fact ,, David Mc g had his best ever scoring season under Paul warne including 3 hatricks when he had never scored a hatrick before in his career , so your posting stats to confirm this🤷‍♂️

Fact,, David Mc g had his best ever scoring season playing in a much easier division than he usually does. 

who would have guessed 😅

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

It’s only October, yet you have written off eleven signings?

Can players only play in one system? Why does 4 at the back necessarily affect how successful the signings can be?

Nelson, Nyambe and Fornah are playing well and look like our standout players at the moment. Waghorn and Washington have chipped in with some goals here and there and contributed to some wins.

Wilson was brought in to add depth and competition for places and he has looked lively in his cameos. Vickers as we know is only likely to deputise for Wildsmith. What more could he have done so far?

That’s at least five or six who have made a reasonable start to life in a Derby shirt.

Ward is a natural winger who can play RB or RWB if needed. When fit, there will be a place for him unless NML or Barkhuizen really motor but as we know they are both inconsistent. Elder will return from injury too and push Forsyth for his place. Hopefully John Jules will do the same and push Waghorn and Collins, but if not he’ll be gone in January.

The only signing who really looks to have missed the mark so far is Bradley. I think he could be waiting a good while to get back in the side and he looks a long way from living up to his billing.

Where did I say I'd written off eleven signings?

Yes, some players can't play in certain systems, like wing-backs in a back 4. My main point was about the number of players in each position. We have 4 strikers but we're currently playing a 4-2-3-1. We only have 2 natural wingers. Barkhuizen is the only player we have who can play LW. 

I agree some have done well, Nyambe, Nelson, Fornah and Waghorn have looked good. Ward and Wilson look like good players, but would we have signed them if we building for a 4-2-3-1?  Disagree about Washington. Waste of a transfer if we're continuing with 1 up front. 

Ward is not a natural winger. He played RM earlier in his career but hasn't played there for over 5 seasons.

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

You don't think the fact we were now playing in league one and were probably the biggest club in the division had anything to do with didzy doing so well?  He had been playing premier league or championship football for almost all his career. Playing in a much easier division, he was of course going to do well. 

Outside of didzy which players actually did well? There were much more that were poor than were good which points towards management/coaching. 

😂😂😂 Someone beat me to it earlier with the old what have the romans ever done sketch, 

cashin did fantastic to the point a prem club are sniffing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Away results 🤷🏻‍♂️

come on , stick with the you don’t like him or what you think his style of football is ,

your just making yourself look silly with the hyperbole 

Edited by Archied

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whislt some players are more versatile and adaptable and can play in different positions in different formations, some can't. Whilst a player can play well in one system, they may be awful playing in a different system but in the same formation.

Where do Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen fit in a 352? In the same formation, in the system demanded by Warne, who fits the LWB role requirements? In any formation which uses wingers, where is the depth beyond Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen?

It was a poor summer in terms of recruitment. Not because of individual ability, because I think they're all good signings for this league, but because they weren't for any particular system in mind. We spent most of the summer flipping between 352 and 3421. Only for us to switch to 4 at the back after the window closed.

Warne's recruitment strategy seems to be a case of signing whichever palyers he can to reach his desired squad size, and put them into any formation which seems to make sense to him. It's probably why he used every formation imaginable during his time at Rotherham, typically changing his 'preferred' formation every season.

Try choosing an 11 man side where all 11 players are effective in that position. How many from the rest of our squad fit in that system?

Get rid , he has no plan B 

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Fact,, David Mc g had his best ever scoring season playing in a much easier division than he usually does. 

who would have guessed 😅

So it an absolute given he is going to outscore last season now he is even lower down the pyramid 👍,

how’s he doing , is he on course ? I honestly don’t know , let’s see at the end if you are right , oh and injuries won’t count count / excuse because it’s clear warne kept him fit all season in the same way injuries in other players are down to him ,

you don’t like the bloke as derby manager ,, that’s ok 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

Thought it was 3 at the back ? I’m sure that’s what the pitchforkers are saying 

3 at the back isn't a plan, it's a formation (or about half of one anyway).

What are we setting out to achieve on the pitch?  Do we want to control the middle of the park? Get wide and get crosses in? Sit deep and break? Press from the front?  Pass and Move?  Get the ball forward quickly?  Etc etc etc.  We do bits of those things at time, but there's no clear, consistent, obvious plan of what we are actually trying to do.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

3 at the back isn't a plan, it's a formation (or about half of one anyway).

What are we setting out to achieve on the pitch?  Do we want to control the middle of the park? Get wide and get crosses in? Sit deep and break? Press from the front?  Pass and Move?  Get the ball forward quickly?  Etc etc etc.  We do bits of those things at time, but there's no clear, consistent, obvious plan of what we are actually trying to do.

So having 3 centre halves and wingbacks has no bearing on how you intend to approach a game ?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

So having 3 centre halves and wingbacks has no bearing on how you intend to approach a game ?

It's part of it, but it's one part of many.  Guardiola's tactical setup is far more than just "433", for example.  When you look at us play, it's far from obvious what we're even trying to do.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's part of it, but it's one part of many.  Guardiola's tactical setup is far more than just "433", for example.  When you look at us play, it's far from obvious what we're even trying to do.

That might be PW's plan: not make it obvious to the opposition what we are trying to do  😉

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

If you read my posts you will find im pretty much in agreement with what I’m seeing on the pitch this season is not at all what warne says he is sending the team out to do or matching what you expect from how we are setting up , the difference I guess is that I’m willing to give a bit more time to see if he can turn it round and produce , is that right or wrong ? Who knows , it’s just where I am at the moment , if he doesn’t get it right then of course his time will run out with me , im no different from most in that I’ve been watching derby county for many many years and want us being the best we can be 🤷🏻‍♂️