Thanks to Mel. We are in this mess.

DerbyAleMan

8 hours ago, Anon said:

We definitely shouldn't forget. Some of us were questioning the expenditure that very first summer when we spent a combined 10 million on Johnson and Butterfield. The vast majority of fans were happy to blindly trust the owner. I agree that a witch hunt against Morris is pointless, but we as fans need to remember to be more sceptical when someone comes in promising the moon and spending at levels that are obviously unsustainable.

OK, forgive the shorthand 'forget'. We should move on though.

9 hours ago, The Last Post said:

MM sold his dating site for a few million, Then bought into "Candy Crush" sound advice or good fortune?, Multi millionaires/Billionaires will all have advisors to channel money in the right direction, They might have even been told by those who talk about "sound financial planning" that it's time to pull the plug on DCFC, Unless you were at his table when this sound advice was or wasn't given then you're like every other poster on here...we get it from the press and social media, Or if lucky from a 3rd party that is ITK, It's for those to sort out the wheat for the BS to come to a conclusion.

The man who pays the piper gets to call the tune, Steven Pearce was the accountant and Steven Pearce was told what to do and what not to do, MM through his tenure not only reigned in the money he also made several attempts to sell to some very unscrupulous people, Then he put DCFC into Admin as his money tree had shed a fortune...you say you don't buy into Covid, Then go on to say maybe Covid bought it a little quicker...so Covid had an effect.

Again it doesn't detract that he forgave 10 of millions of £s, Paid off the Curley one which enabled Clowes to purchase DCFC

How many clubs ended up in Admin and nearly going under due to Covid? 

1 minute ago, The Last Post said:

It didn't baffle the EFL, They were told if DCFC applied they wouldn't get it, So DCFC didn't apply

Got a source for that?

Based on this, it sounds like the issue was that Mel wasn't willing to show evidence of how we'd repay the money. Looks like he wasn't interested in paying anyone back.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-derby-county-mel-morris-6030301

Edited by oodledoodle

16 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

It didn't baffle the EFL, They were told if DCFC applied they wouldn't get it, So DCFC didn't apply

Where did you get that from?

I've read articles saying that we didn't apply for the loan as we wouldn't have passed the eligibility criteria i.e. we couldn't demonstrate how the loan would have been repaid.

Is that the EFLs fault or ours?

22 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've read articles saying that we didn't apply for the loan as we wouldn't have passed the eligibility criteria i.e. we couldn't demonstrate how the loan would have been repaid.

All in the Admin thread, As for who's fault it is...toss a coin and call

5 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Absolutely loads of things you can blame Mel for, but unless he's sneaking into the dressing room in his coaching kit and doing pre-match team-talk, I'm not sure you can hold him accountable for the football we're currently playing.

I think we can, because of his actions, we wouldn't be putting out an average League One team.  So yes he is to blame

1 hour ago, RAM1966 said:

How many clubs ended up in Admin and nearly going under due to Covid? 

Obviously, we were the only club sailing close enough to the wind to be put in that situation.

The case against MM, is that he had previously took too many risks and that he pulled the plug, after he'd assured us that he would always cover the expenditure.

The case for MM is that IF he had a plan, he couldn't have possibly allowed for a scenario like COVID, whereby expenditure would continue but income would take a severe hit. A £20m safety margin wouldn't have been enough for Derby, as we were affected proportionately more than any other club, having the largest gates of any club without Premiership payments.

What can't be denied, is that he was too keen to back his managers. Also, during his tenure, he didn't have any luck, whether it was injuries to key players or losing managers,Mac, Rowett and Lampard, after each made the play offs in their first season, because of other clubs sniffing around.

Like us, I bet they he rues the day, he took our club on.

In answer to the question, thanks to Mel we're in this position? The answer is yes, but with a lot of bad luck and poor treatment from other clubs and the EFL, helping along the way, the perfect storm.

On 04/09/2023 at 18:48, Tyler Durden said:

The reason Mel didn't apply we would of had to of had the accounts filed our 'up-to-date' accounts at companies house as a condition. 

The EFL were only going to loan clubs the money if they were seen to be on a sound enough financial footing to repay the loan, clearly we wouldn't have been, due to reckless spending.  Mel knew there was no chance of the loan....

2 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

The reason Mel didn't apply we would of had to of had the accounts filed our 'up-to-date' accounts at companies house as a condition. 

The EFL were only going to loan clubs the money if they were seen to be on a sound enough financial footing to repay the loan, clearly we wouldn't have been, due to reckless spending.  Mel knew there was no chance of the loan....

Wasn’t the loan to help clubs through COVID !
Should have been an irrelevance as to whether it could be paid back or not 

2 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

And he wanted to keep what he was doing a secret until he was out the door 

it should be an instant points deduction for clubs not keeping up to date accounts

Edited by alram

3 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

Well apart from “we would of had to of had…” I agree.