So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Someone posted that we had another first choice but couldn't afford them. It's back in this thread somewhere I think.

As I understand it there were four interviewed and Warne wasn't the first choice. I believe that we could afford the first choice but we couldn't afford the compensation for their proposed staff so it fell through.

Theres a suggestion thats unfashionable & probably unpopular. Done a good job most places he has been (apart from his last job) done a better job at some clubs than he's given credit for & available. That's Steve Bruce the elephant man 🤣

To be honest i actually think we have a good enough squad & dont see anything wrong with the attitude we are Derby County & too big for the division. We should be demanding more. I think most managers out there could do better with the squad available to them

10 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Theres a suggestion thats unfashionable & probably unpopular. Done a good job most places he has been (apart from his last job) done a better job at some clubs than he's given credit for & available. That's Steve Bruce the elephant man 🤣

To be honest i actually think we have a good enough squad & dont see anything wrong with the attitude we are Derby County & too big for the division. We should be demanding more. I think most managers out there could do better with the squad available to them

Yes it’s nothing to do with “we are Derby and we should smash every team.” I would be absolutely amazed if our budget was not top 6 and I would be very surprised if it wasn’t top 3. It’s certainly a hell of a lot bigger than Cambridge’s who our manager was at pains to point out are in a similar position in the table to us.

I do think at some point things might click so I’m not fully in a position that he should be sacked yet but the arguments for keeping him are wearing thin and based almost entirely on things that might happen or that he’ll be too expensive to let go of which are hardly ringing endorsements. 

7 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

As I understand it there were four interviewed and Warne wasn't the first choice. I believe that we could afford the first choice but we couldn't afford the compensation for their proposed staff so it fell through.

Blimey how much do staff cost? Thought they'd be cheap as chips! Seems a bit odd?

7 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

Bolton manager?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we paid compensation to Rotherham for Warne plus 3 of his backroom staff too?

Seems odd that we could afford that but not the equivalent from another club.

Also reinforces that if we couldn't afford this at that point then its unlikely we bullet Warne and his backroom staff then replace with another manager and assistants anytime soon 

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bolton manager?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we paid compensation to Rotherham for Warne plus 3 of his backroom staff too?

Seems odd that we could afford that but not the equivalent from another club.

Also reinforces that if we couldn't afford this at that point then its unlikely we bullet Warne and his backroom staff then replace with another manager and assistants anytime soon 

Or it suggests that we sack Warne and the backroom staff now, because they were the cheapest option, because now we have a bigger budget than last seasons available.

Neil Warnock would be the sensible approach.

I was going to say Paul Warne is like Clough and we need a Mclaren to come in and get them playing. Then I realised Warne is nothing like Clough, Warne has recruited poorly and cannot get his poor players playing.

Warnock needs to come in, hopefully find one or two free transfers out there and forge a team out the mess.

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We’d have been to the premier league by now if we’d have kept him… and that would have brought back those fickle fans who stopped attending under him 👀👀

This is taken from Owen Bradleys comments on the BBC Sports website:-

The decision by the club will come as a surprise to some, but supporters have become increasingly frustrated by poor performances at home - despite some encouraging displays away.

Nigel Clough steered Derby through some difficult times after one woeful season in the Premier League, but the board have clearly decided he cannot take them any further.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Neil Warnock would be the sensible approach.

I was going to say Paul Warne is like Clough and we need a Mclaren to come in and get them playing. Then I realised Warne is nothing like Clough, Warne has recruited poorly and cannot get his poor players playing.

Warnock needs to come in, hopefully find one or two free transfers out there and forge a team out the mess.

I don’t believe it will happen (Warne being given his P45, let alone Warnock taking over) and I’ve never relished the prospect of Colin in the hot seat, but I do think he would do well for us and would get our players playing (to their strengths and effectively)

6 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

In his fourth season in league two with Mansfield.

Okay but I know what I saw when he first came in and I know what I was beginning to see by the time he left. 

A bottom 6 budget and he’d broken into the top 10 the season before. Season on season improvement for 4 of the 5 years (there was a mad outlier in that 5 year spell). 

He knew he wanted Eustace for a while but had to wait to get him. We’d have been there eventually. 

16 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

In his fourth season in league two with Mansfield.

Agreed, this obsession with Clough is rediculous, his Father was a genious (With Taylor at his side, not so great without him), so was Darren Ferguson's neither of those facts make the sons oustanding managers.

Clough has two major faults, firstly he's too negative.  Secondly he seens only capable of motivating his teams to beat clubs he has a beef with.

If he was as great as many die hard Clough lovers claim, why hasn't he been snapped up by a lower half EPL club.  The answer is simple, Clough is at his level!!!!

Edited by RAM1966

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Slept on it ‘balanced’ thoughts

positives: 

1) first home game of the season I feel like I can say we never looked like losing. We were so in control we could have played for 900 minutes and not conceded which, even against weak opposition, hasn’t felt true this season before. 

2) Nelson looks better and better as the weeks go on. We’ve got a fantastic CB at this level and a player I hope can make the step back up with us when we need it. 

3) Nyambe is such an intelligent footballer but with all the physical attributes Warne would want from a player. Been a pleasure watching him. 

4) Forsyth is Forsyth. How he keeps going with 0 knees and a resurgence at left back after 2 years at CB. When Cashin looks like the weakest part of a back 4 (and he isn’t weak at all) you know you probably have the best defence in the division… 

5) Fornah showed everything you’d want from someone in his position yesterday he mopped absolutely everything up. Was always there when they broke the lines. My dad who doesn’t really comment on players in the game turned and said ‘that big lad in the middle is tidying everything up’. 

6) Barkhuizen has the pace but also some technical ability to go with it which makes the attack feel like it’s a little bit less kick and rush. 

7) we did dominate the match. Which is what I’d asked to be seeing at home. 

Negatives 

1) no one in the final third showed any sort of real quality at all. 

2) don’t want to single anyone out for having a stinker but there was one player who’d have been frustrated with his performance I think. A bit sloppy.  

3) I’m all for keeping the ball and recycling it if nothing is on (I’ve called for this and want to see it) but on some occasions, as Warne would say, the players needed to be a bit braver and trust their team mates with a firm pass forwards to them in the middle. Trust them to control it and move it on even if they have a few players around them because that’s how we’ll pull teams apart who are happy for a point. 

4) the balance up top isn’t right. I’d rather see a focal point with NML and Bark either side of them with an actual creator playing behind them rather than having 2 strikers. 

The last point which is neither positive or negative is that we held a team off at arms length who would have snapped your hand off for a point. Can we do this firstly away from home? Can we do this against a Barnsley or a Bolton etc? 

Warne showed yesterday that he can set us up to dominate matches at home and never look like conceding so the question is: 

Is there anybody out there who can do the same but is also more likely to be able to coach our attacking players into making better choices in the final third? 

If there is, and they’re affordable, go get them. If there isn’t, we hope Warne can get them doing the right things up top and doesn’t abandon the idea of controlling a game because we didn’t win yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

Agreed, this obsession with Clough is rediculous, his Father was a genious (With Taylor at his side, not so great without him), so was Darren Ferguson's neither of those facts make the sons oustanding managers.

Clough has two major faults, firstly he's too negative.  Secondly he seens only capable of motivating his teams to beat clubs he has a beef with.

If he was as great as many die hard Clough lovers claim, why hasn't he been snapped up by a lower half EPL club.  The answer is simple, Clough is at his level!!!!

Recognising that he did a brilliant job under touch circumstances whilst admitting he had his faults in terms of his negativity is not an obsession. It’s just not allowing fans like you to rewrite history to ignore the job he did for us. 20th to 10th whilst slashing the budget.