Time added on

FindernRam

Who actually calculates the time added?

Is it the ref with a stop watch, the 4th official?

Saturday not a single EFL game had finished by 5:00. 

This must cause all sorts of scheduling problems for the result programmes, and possible for fans getting home on public transport.

With most matches now likely to go over 100 elapsed minutes maybe they should bring the start time forward by 15 minutes

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Who actually calculates the time added?

Is it the ref with a stop watch, the 4th official?

Saturday not a single EFL game had finished by 5:00. 

This must cause all sorts of scheduling problems for the result programmes, and possible for fans getting home on public transport.

With most matches now likely to go over 100 elapsed minutes maybe they should bring the start time forward by 15 minutes

I don’t know who had the most, but Barnsley with 21, 10 + 11 must be a contender.

It's the Refs job to add time on.

Taken from the link below.

The Premier League average was 55 minutes, the Championship was 52 minutes, League One was 50 minutes, and in League Two matches just 48 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66426840

The fan has been short changed for decades where a 90min game is shortened dramatically, Wigans 2nd goal took an age for the game to re start.

I remember Eddie Howe bringing his Burnley team down to PP and the game was constantly stopped for alleged injuries and slowing the clock down, We lost 0-1

I see that the usual culprits from the pfa and epl are moaning on. What none of them seem to clock is that if the players didn’t constantly kick the ball away (Korey…), or go down as if shot after being breathed on or kick off quickly after a goal is scored or didn’t delay free kicks, throw ins or goal kicks then there wouldn’t be any time added on.

Trouble is that it’s ingrained behaviour now and referees have a history of enforcing new rules for a couple of weeks and then forgetting that the rules are in place, just to make their lives easier. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes. 

Instead of adding on so much time, why don’t they just tackle the actual problem? 
Tell the keeper that all that messing about placing the ball, then moving it etc  won’t be tolerated and next time, book him for instance 

I'm all for this.

Seeing some of the reactions from players and managers, I'll be completely honest, they can suck it.

No more time wasting, short changing supporters for the hideous amounts of stoppages. How about we actually crack on with the match now? Tactical injuries are no longer an excuse, thank the lord. It was terrible last season and it was getting worse. The biggest clubs have no case. The resources Man Utd, Man City etc possess, they could field 3 starting 11s. Maybe they'll actually start using their squads properly.

Best thing the football authorities have done in years. If the players don't like it, ask for a sub to save the legs. Or.... actually try and play some more football and get the matches over and done with quicker? 

Cheers from me 😎

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I see that the usual culprits from the pfa and epl are moaning on. What none of them seem to clock is that if the players didn’t constantly kick the ball away (Korey…), or go down as if shot after being breathed on or kick off quickly after a goal is scored or didn’t delay free kicks, throw ins or goal kicks then there wouldn’t be any time added on.

Trouble is that it’s ingrained behaviour now and referees have a history of enforcing new rules for a couple of weeks and then forgetting that the rules are in place, just to make their lives easier. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes. 

Are these new rules or rules that haven’t been enforced. I’m sure most are already in the rule book. Like you say come September and it will all be forgotten.

It's not going to stop tactical 'injuries' though, is it? Take today for instance, England were under the cosh and down to 10 players, so our keeper gets 'injured' and everyone goes for drinks whilst the England manager gets everyone to reorganise themselves and breakup the other team's momentum and it worked. 

3 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Are these new rules or rules that haven’t been enforced. I’m sure most are already in the rule book. Like you say come September and it will all be forgotten.

I don’t think - I’m sure someone will confirm it either way - that these are new laws of the game as such. Rather it’s the authorities (fifa presumably) telling referees to clamp down on, amongst other things, time wasting and dissension/abuse of referees.  The first of those seems to be an attempt to keep the ball in play for longer - adding time on for goal celebrations/stopping teams from slowing the game down by kicking the ball away/taking undue time over free kicks/goal kicks etc.  I don’t think these are new laws just telling referees to interpret the laws in a particular way

If players were sensible they would avoid appearing to slow the game down and thus avoid large amounts of extra time. It depends on whether refs will continue what they started this weekend.

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

It's not going to stop tactical 'injuries' though, is it? Take today for instance, England were under the cosh and down to 10 players, so our keeper gets 'injured' and everyone goes for drinks whilst the England manager gets everyone to reorganise themselves and breakup the other team's momentum and it worked. 

Means more time added on though doesn't it? You might still get one or two tactical injuries however you're going to have play at least another 5 minutes at the end. Might make the teams think twice before doing it multiple times.

Time added on is simply extra breathing time the players have created for themselves. This complaint from Pep that players are running for 100 mins now is nonsense it will still be around 55-60 mins but spread longer.

It has to be complemented by bookings for time wasting and fake injuries. Love the 30 seconds on the sidelines rule.

Would be good to have a counter added to the screen (s) showing a running total of time added on as it occurs. Might make players think twice about wasting it if they see the result of their individual action straight away. Flash up the players face stating xyz has just wasted n minutes!

Last night I stopwatched the second half of the Burnley Man C game. Actually quite tedious to watch and relatively few stoppages or free kicks. Not much blatant time wasting either.

At 90 minutes Match clock time. The ball had been in play 30 min 12 seconds. The Ref signalled 5 minutes. Due to a late injury he played 8. The ball in play time was 33.58 at the end.

So much for time added on!