Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The only improvement I like is the community notes/context thing.

Thankfully it's being used quite well to counteract a lot of the extremist political nonsense being pushed on the platform

36 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yeah, it's not without its issues but definitely a good addition.

Agreed, but it's hard to overlook that the big boss is now the single most prominent exponent of misinformation and worse. Feels not so much like the horse has bolted through an open gate, as the horse now owns and runs the stable.

30 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agreed, but it's hard to overlook that the big boss is now the single most prominent exponent of misinformation and worse. Feels not so much like the horse has bolted through an open gate, as the horse now owns and runs the stable.

Criticism of Israel is causing people to be "shadow banned" on twitter. Many people are complaining of this. So much for free speech!

19 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Criticism of Israel is causing people to be "shadow banned" on twitter. Many people are complaining of this. So much for free speech!

But Uttox, you're missing the point buddy. It's free speech for Musky, not for oiks like you and I. 

10 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agreed, but it's hard to overlook that the big boss is now the single most prominent exponent of misinformation and worse

Yeah but, surely his twitter feed is abundant with community notes, correcting all of his rubbish...(checks).....oh. That's weird 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see an in depth explanation of how this deep state are turning kids into LGBTQ. 

Imagine having a few pints with these 2, be some wild discussions.

26 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It would be funny if he wasn’t one of the most powerful people in the world. 

Is he that powerful? I mean he has money, a large social media platform and his own cult following yet the only real power he has is controlling what people see. Even then it's limited to the algorithm feed and search pages. 

I'm sure the US government is watching closely and can rein him in at any point. Can see Europe blocking X soon as well if things continue.

42 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think it’s becoming more apparent by the day that this man is going completely haywire and is potentially even a Russian shill. He now appears to be funding/facilitating an interview with Vladimir Putin - note the watermark in the bottom left.

And you can’t tell me this is an opinion of a sane man

Well colour me surprised 🙈

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think it’s becoming more apparent by the day that this man is going completely haywire and is potentially even a Russian shill. He now appears to be funding/facilitating an interview with Vladimir Putin - note the watermark in the bottom left.

And you can’t tell me this is an opinion of a sane man

I'm curious what you think is wrong with Tucker interviewing Putin. And it being broadcast live and unedited on Twitter. What brilliant transparency. Carlson has been by far the most watched political commentator in America, yet lost his voice when dumped by the legacy media.

In this age of new media, he can broadcast via his own channel, but the question is also one of discoverability. Hence those broadcasts also going out on Twitter (hence the watermark to distinguish you're viewing there rather than on his personal channel). The ratings for these pieces are much higher than the political commentary across all legacy news channels in America combined.

If it weren't for Musk, no one would be able to hear Tucker. Are you deciding on behalf of the very many tens of millions who tune in, that they shouldn't be able to? Surely he has a right to be heard?

22 minutes ago, David said:

Is he that powerful? I mean he has money, a large social media platform and his own cult following yet the only real power he has is controlling what people see. Even then it's limited to the algorithm feed and search pages. 

I'm sure the US government is watching closely and can rein him in at any point. Can see Europe blocking X soon as well if things continue.

Controls what people see, as you say. Also in charge of getting us to Mars, and he’s behind Neuralink, which is putting chips in people’s brains. He also owns Starlink, which has already become relevant in the Russia-Ukraine war: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_in_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War#:~:text=SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has,school instead of drone strikes.

You only have to watch Sunak’s fawning interview with him last year to see where the balance of power lies between Musk and the British Prime Minister, for example.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm curious what you think is wrong with Tucker interviewing Putin. And it being broadcast live and unedited on Twitter. What brilliant transparency. Carlson has been by far the most watched political commentator in America, yet lost his voice when dumped by the legacy media.

In this age of new media, he can broadcast via his own channel, but the question is also one of discoverability. Hence those broadcasts also going out on Twitter (hence the watermark to distinguish you're viewing there rather than on his personal channel). The ratings for these pieces are much higher than the political commentary across all legacy news channels in America combined.

If it weren't for Musk, no one would be able to hear Tucker. Are you deciding on behalf of the very many tens of millions who tune in, that they shouldn't be able to? Surely he has a right to be heard?

Yes, because an interview with Vladimir’s Putin, that famous advocate of free speech, is likely to be a serious piece of journalism. You think Putin would allow this if it wasn’t going to be a puff piece? An American journalist is currently being detained in Russia for “espionage”. 

There’s literally a whole Wikipedia page dedicated to internet censorship in Russia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Russia

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes, because an interview with Vladimir’s Putin, that famous advocate of free speech, is likely to be a serious piece of journalism. You think Putin would allow this if it wasn’t going to be a puff piece? An American journalist is currently being detained in Russia for “espionage”. 

There’s literally a whole Wikipedia page dedicated to internet censorship in Russia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Russia

Still not seeing the power, I mean Putin has spoke loads on the Ukraine war, all been reported in western media. The only difference here is a western journalist having the opportunity to ask questions, which will have been agreed prior to the interview, all leading to the same things being said.

It's a scoop for sure, in the sense that it will bring in a shed load of views, but I doubt it's going to cause the masses switching to support Putin

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm not having a dig or anything so I hope this comes across in the right way. 

But is it not important to hear from both sides or all possible angles rather than to allow one country or perspective to filter the news? 

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing Putin could say that would, for example, justify in my mind the war on Ukraine. Everything he says should be challenged and examined. But I also think by hearing him it encourages us to challenge and examine opposing views.

I would say the same about Hamas or Netenyahu too. Whether you approve of their behaviour or agree with their views won't change the fact that they are what they are. The problem isn't just going to vanish if you ignore them. The justice is kind of half way between the two kind of scenario. 

46 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You post a link to internet censorship and then advocate adding to it? Do you really not think all governments engage in propaganda, and it's useful to listen to a diversity of voices to better understand what is going on in the world? I've had fascinating conversations with academics who travel the globe for conferences etc, discussing how very differently the Ukraine war is reported in different countries. And how badly it's reported in the US and UK.

People should be able to listen and make up their own minds, rather than being told what to believe. As @maxjamposted, there was 60 Minutes doing an interview with Putin a few years ago, but the world is now too polarized and the legacy media is on one side of that divide, and wouldn't dream of doing the same thing nowadays. But it is what a good journalist should do. Fine you might not think Tucker is a good journalist, but maybe he'll lead the way for a restoration of journalistic standards when someone else also goes out and does an interview?

1 hour ago, Alph said:

I'm not having a dig or anything so I hope this comes across in the right way. 

But is it not important to hear from both sides or all possible angles rather than to allow one country or perspective to filter the news? 

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing Putin could say that would, for example, justify in my mind the war on Ukraine. Everything he says should be challenged and examined. But I also think by hearing him it encourages us to challenge and examine opposing views.

I would say the same about Hamas or Netenyahu too. Whether you approve of their behaviour or agree with their views won't change the fact that they are what they are. The problem isn't just going to vanish if you ignore them. The justice is kind of half way between the two kind of scenario. 

The point of my original post, which I kind of got lost on, isn't that the big problem is Putin being interviewed. It's the fact that I fear this is the beginning (or midpoint) of Musk becoming a shill for anyone who opposes what he deems "the deep state", who are apparently turning people gay to get more people to vote for Biden.

Hypothetical question: would you have advocated interviewing Hitler during the Second World War and broadcasting it on the radio?