Who pays for Sky Sports?

I started a thread about Sky deals/packages but cannot find it using the search, so if you need to merge this admins, I understand.

I don't have Sky Sports at the moment, and with the Ashes and Ryder Cup coming up, I'd like it. Plus, as an American Football fan reluctant to move to DAZN from the NFL Game Pass and pay twice like I did last year, I'd like some access to that.

I had to call in yesterday to remove Sky Cinema which was about to go back up to £18 from £6 (we trialled it so we could watch the rather excellent Mayor of Kingstown) I asked about SS.

The best deal I could get the guy to offer was £22 per month. I almost went for it, but tbh, because I got it for £10 a month the first time largely down to a screw-up at their end, I held off.

So, I'm wondering if anybody has any cunning plans for getting it cheaper.

I also have Sky broadband and their basic TV package with uHD and multi-room, which I'm tied into for another 12 months. I probably should have bargained harder when I renewed, but wasn't that arsed at the time as I didn't realise they had the Ashes and Ryder Cup.

4 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Had Sky Sports on NowTV for years. Normally do a deal for 20ish a month. It's internet based though. Was great when we were in the championship for the midweek games on red button/bonus streams.

Tempted to move to this next year when our Sky runs out. Does it have any on demand or anything? Think the only thing we'll miss is recording.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Tempted to move to this next year when our Sky runs out. Does it have any on demand or anything? Think the only thing we'll miss is recording.

Has on demand but not sure how quickly stuff becomes available. You can't also pause/start live events later like you can on sky if you start recording.

22 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I started a thread about Sky deals/packages but cannot find it using the search, so if you need to merge this admins, I understand.

I don't have Sky Sports at the moment, and with the Ashes and Ryder Cup coming up, I'd like it. Plus, as an American Football fan reluctant to move to DAZN from the NFL Game Pass and pay twice like I did last year, I'd like some access to that.

I had to call in yesterday to remove Sky Cinema which was about to go back up to £18 from £6 (we trialled it so we could watch the rather excellent Mayor of Kingstown) I asked about SS.

The best deal I could get the guy to offer was £22 per month. I almost went for it, but tbh, because I got it for £10 a month the first time largely down to a screw-up at their end, I held off.

So, I'm wondering if anybody has any cunning plans for getting it cheaper.

I also have Sky broadband and their basic TV package with uHD and multi-room, which I'm tied into for another 12 months. I probably should have bargained harder when I renewed, but wasn't that arsed at the time as I didn't realise they had the Ashes and Ryder Cup.

£22 a month doesn’t sound bad to me but then it’s not my money 😊

I too have SS on Now TV, £21 a month until March 24, I have a Fire TV so it's an easy app to use, I have the basic Sky package and only pay £5 a month amazing what can be done over the phone when pleading yes pleading poverty 😁, I have Sky broadband and that contract ends mid Sept this year...another call soon🫰

I wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't bundled in with my Virgin Media package. Same with Sky Movies.

I couldn't give a stuff about watching live Premier League / Golf / F1 etc. If I want Prem footy, I'll rarely watch MotD

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Had Sky Sports on NowTV for years. Normally do a deal for 20ish a month. It's internet based though. Was great when we were in the championship for the midweek games on red button/bonus streams.

Streaming is great, although you are usually 30 seconds to a minute behind watching traditionally through the Sky/Virgin Box, no big deal for most but where it can be annoying is people texting you about a goal before it's gone in, or hovering over the cash out button on a bet. 

We've got Sky through the Sky Q box. We've also got their broadband but we're only FTTC and not that reliable but atm Sky are pushing Sky Stream, so it's trickier to get good deals on the Q box.

I would have thought it's almost impossible to get a decent deal on Sky Sports without cancelling your subscription, which you can't do as you have other tv subs. I haggled a deal when our package was up for renewal but I had to actually cancel everything and go without Sky for a few days before they offered a reasonable deal. If I'd held out it probably could have been gotten cheaper but I'm relatively happy with the price.

We pay £63/month (until the annual price rise that is - around next April). One of the problems with accepting a deal on seperate parts of a package is that it sometimes resets the contract period for the other parts too, tieing you in for 18 months on all. Some of the add-ons like HD/UHD are 30 days rolling contract, so on ours only Signature and Sports are on 18 month contracts.

image.png.8be67ee4506c1caf13a543d677f4aec2.png

You get the best deals from the Retentions Team or Winback Team after leaving. Oh and if they try and make an 'administration charge' tell them you're not happy paying it and ask them to credit your account with the same amount. Oh and try NowTV as they sometimes have half-price offers on Sky Sports subs. 

Edited by RoyMac5

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've got Sky through the Sky Q box. We've also got their broadband but we're only FTTC and not that reliable but atm Sky are pushing Sky Stream, so it's trickier to get good deals on the Q box.

I would have thought it's almost impossible to get a decent deal on Sky Sports without cancelling your subscription, which you can't do as you have other tv subs. I haggled a deal when our package was up for renewal but I had to actually cancel everything and go without Sky for a few days before they offered a reasonable deal. If I'd held out it probably could have been gotten cheaper but I'm relatively happy with the price.

We pay £63/month (until the annual price rise that is - around next April). One of the problems with accepting a deal on seperate parts of a package is that it sometimes resets the contract period for the other parts too, tieing you in for 18 months on all. Some of the add-ons like HD/UHD are 30 days rolling contract, so on ours only Signature and Sports are on 18 month contracts.

image.png.8be67ee4506c1caf13a543d677f4aec2.png

You get the best deals from the Retentions Team or Winback Team after leaving. Oh and if they try and make an 'administration charge' tell them you're not happy paying it and ask them to credit your account with the same amount. Oh and try NowTV as they sometimes have half-price offers on Sky Sports subs. 

In total, that's £9 less than we are paying like for like. 

When did you renew?

I'm not sure I could be arsed to disconnect my service to save that, but it's irritating that they are so all over the place.

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

In total, that's £9 less than we are paying like for like. 

When did you renew?

I'm not sure I could be arsed to disconnect my service to save that, but it's irritating that they are so all over the place.

Renewed a couple of months ago. But they made a hash of it more than once so I had to cancel more than once! 😄 Yes it is tedious I agree, actually it's extremely tedious and annoying, particularly trying to get to speak to agents that can actually offer the best deals. But it's only once every 18 or so months.

It's actually less than £63/month because of the errors they made that I asked that they compensate me for, this was done via account credits. It actually worked out at a bit less than £61/month. 

Try asking for retentions when you ring and ask if they'll cut you a deal. Say how much you used to pay and what you'd be willing to pay and see what they say. You/they can take it or leave it. 👍

Edited by RoyMac5

I was paying peanuts for Sky Sports when I first got the package a few years ago. I can't justify it now, cost of living and all that jazz. 

Definitely not renewing my sky package in 6 months. Not when we've got prime, netflix and Disney plus. That's £25 per month straight away. Rather try the Virgin superfast broadband and if I want to watch football I'll pop to the pub around the corner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2023 at 08:40, SSD said:

I was paying peanuts for Sky Sports when I first got the package a few years ago. I can't justify it now, cost of living and all that jazz. 

Definitely not renewing my sky package in 6 months. Not when we've got prime, netflix and Disney plus. That's £25 per month straight away. Rather try the Virgin superfast broadband and if I want to watch football I'll pop to the pub around the corner.

Stop paying for Sky sports for various reasons last year. 
Got a really good Virgin TV broadband package for £49 per month including BT sports due to on going problems with Virgin broadband in my area.

If I want to watch anything on Sky sports I nip to my dads house five minute walk away.