Wildsmith v Vickers

Kernow

I was reading some of the Rotherham opinions regarding Vickers. Initially I thought he would just be Wildsmith’s back-up and an upgrade on McGee. A lot of the opinions from Millers are that Vickers is too good to be an understudy in the Championship, let alone League 1. He’s been unfortunate in the sense that he’s behind Johansson who is one of the better keepers in the Championship, but why leave one bench to sit on another?

He’s a player who Warne & his coaches know well. He played 20 times in Rotherham’s last promotion season.

I think Wildsmith played too well last year to just be replaced, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Vickers does end up displacing him. I haven’t seen too much of him, but he seems highly regarded for a keeper that hasn’t played too much for the club he’s just left.

31 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I was reading some of the Rotherham opinions regarding Vickers. Initially I thought he would just be Wildsmith’s back-up and an upgrade on McGee. A lot of the opinions from Millers are that Vickers is too good to be an understudy in the Championship, let alone League 1. He’s been unfortunate in the sense that he’s behind Johansson who is one of the better keepers in the Championship, but why leave one bench to sit on another?

He’s a player who Warne & his coaches know well. He played 20 times in Rotherham’s last promotion season.

I think Wildsmith played too well last year to just be replaced, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Vickers does end up displacing him. I haven’t seen too much of him, but he seems highly regarded for a keeper that hasn’t played too much for the club he’s just left.

There’s an element to which it was a bit too comfy for Joe last year. He had a great season overall and undoubtedly kept us in many games with some brilliant saves, but a few errors and shaky distribution started creeping in during the run in. In keeping with Warne’s maxim that no one should expect a starting berth I’m quite happy to see a battle for the gloves. 

Vickers actually has a terrific track record for a keeper, but has serious injury issues and a metal plate in his hand. I don’t think a club would be willing to ever roll the dice on him as the outright number one regardless of how good he’s been - he will no doubt have an opportunity to play here, but I suspect Wildsmith starts game one. 

Great to have 2 Goalkeepers who can play. When Plymouth no 1 got injured last year everyone thought they would crumble but having a no 2 who was good enough to step in helped them go up.

Competition must be a good thing and should drive Wildsmith to up His game further 

The way I see it, Wildsmith was only second to McGoldrick last season in terms of quality and overall importance to the team. 

With McGoldrick gone, Wildsmith is the first name on the teamsheet. So for Vickers to take the number one spot he will have to be some player!

It’s a problem but one Warne will be very much glad to have.

Hello guys, Rotherham fan in peace here. I used to live and work in Derby until recently so have always taken an interest in the Rams.

I can tell you that Vickers is an excellent keeper. He'll definitely give Wildsmith some stiff competition for the number one spot. When Johansson got injured towards the end of the season, he came in for us and did an amazing job. I think it's a great move for the lad, especially if he can force his way into the first team. The fact Warne has signed him and has worked with him before tells you everything you need to know. He won't let you down.

Anyway, since then, Leeds are now sniffing round our number one keeper. You really couldn't make it up 🙈