June 14th is when transfer window opens

Curtains

12 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'd imagine that all of our signings in this window will look underwhelming. We're a League 1 side with restrictions on how much we can spend. We're not going to splash big fees on players where there is competition from Championship or the larger clubs in this division. 

Warne also wants athletic players, so we're not going to sign any fading stars with big reputations.

What we will do is make a series of boring looking signings from the Conference, League 2, Scotland and Ireland. I doubt any will be more than 'meh'.

The excitement will come from the recruitment team (hopefully) finding some uncut diamonds and Warne making a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts.

Shush with being sensible, it’s not like we’ve made splashy signings on well known names and overpriced junk in the past is it? I want only players I’ve heard of. 

45 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The excitement will come from the recruitment team (hopefully) finding some uncut diamonds and Warne making a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts.

Based on what Warne got out of last year's squad this approach would fill me with dread.  I'm very much of the opinion that we need to be bringing in more effective players than we had last season to improve on our 7th placed finish.  Based on names suggested by other posters there appear to be plenty of decent league one and even championship players who will be out of contract.  If we can unearth a gem from Scotland, Ireland or non-league then great but I'd be gutted if that was all we were trying to achieve this window.

54 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Based on what Warne got out of last year's squad this approach would fill me with dread.  I'm very much of the opinion that we need to be bringing in more effective players than we had last season to improve on our 7th placed finish.  Based on names suggested by other posters there appear to be plenty of decent league one and even championship players who will be out of contract.  If we can unearth a gem from Scotland, Ireland or non-league then great but I'd be gutted if that was all we were trying to achieve this window.

I believe you are going to very disappointed over the next few weeks. We are still suffering from going into administration, so we are simply not in a position to sign proven players who fit the manager's profile. 

Personally, I think we have manager who has gained 3 promotions with squads assembled on a shoe string. I don't think we need big names. 

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I believe you are going to very disappointed over the next few weeks. We are still suffering from going into administration, so we are simply not in a position to sign proven players who fit the manager's profile. 

Personally, I think we have manager who has gained 3 promotions with squads assembled on a shoe string. I don't think we need big names. 

Who said anything about big names?  I'm talking about proven league one / championship players who are available on a free and are an upgrade on what we had last season.   I don't think you need to be a big name to be better than Smith at right back or better than NML and Barks as wingbacks.  

Maybe it's just an attempt at expectation management but there's 'being sensible' and there's adopting an almost mid-table mentality and using some not-all-that-restrictive-anymore restrictions to make it should like we shouldn't be able to compete with any other 'big' teams in our league. 

Basically just repeating what @Blondest Goat said, but nobody is suggesting splashing big fees on flashy signings in an attempt to blitz the league, but even with limits in place we should be able to find a handful of players the fans can point to and feel confident that they're going to be an improvement on what we had last season in terms of their quality and/or how they'll fit in with Warne's vision for how we play - seeing as we didn't have a single viable wing-back last season and we need to sign 3-4 of the buggers that shouldn't be too hard! - and a second handful of players to come in as back-up / rotation to develop in the longer run.

The notion that we're simply not in a position to sign proven players who fit in with Warne's ideology is surely a load of guff - a top six (minimum) wage budget, all of last season to analyse what we need and having the new recruitment guy in place nearly 4 months is plenty of time to have identified suitable, affordable targets.

Even so, none of them necessarily have to be 'proven' players but they should be players we can analyse the past performances of and find more positives than negatives within the data we have, finding some areas/metrics they're particularly strong in which could benefit us (as people have been doing on the suggestions thread).

...and who knows, these might be exactly the sort of players we're looking at, because nobody outside of the club and the players involved knows our real targets!  If that's the case, great.

...or it could be that those we have tenuous links to are in fact our primary targets. If that's the case, eeeesh it may be a long season.

Edited by Kokosnuss