Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Screenshot_20240413_193300_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9793cc0510776497f49483b6a72490cc.jpg

4 games to go. The challenge now will be to hold on to 3rd place

Do we have a group with a good chunk ready to break in to the first team in a few years time or do we just have a team that’ll do well at this level? 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Do we have a group with a good chunk ready to break in to the first team in a few years time or do we just have a team that’ll do well at this level? 

From the U21 squad, we already have Evans (3rd matchday GK), Radcliffe, DRobinson and DBrown who I would consider to be on the fringes of the first team squad. Weston a little bit behind them.

We then have several players who could still play U18 football but stepped up early - 2nd year scholars Cox, KRobinson and Hawkins, and 1st year scholars JThompson, Gill and Allen.

Davidson has had a lot of trouble with injuries but has always looked promising when in the side. He missed the first half of last season and most of this one (last played in October), but would have been a regualr in the U21 squad (still a 2nd year scholar) if he stayed fit.

McAndrew is on the cusp of stepping up and is still only 16! 

I think all of these youngsters have a very good chance of being Championship footballers (or higher), with some doing it with us in a couple of years.

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From the U21 squad, we already have Evans (3rd matchday GK), Radcliffe, DRobinson and DBrown who I would consider to be on the fringes of the first team squad. Weston a little bit behind them.

We then have several players who could still play U18 football but stepped up early - 2nd year scholars Cox, KRobinson and Hawkins, and 1st year scholars JThompson, Gill and Allen.

Davidson has had a lot of trouble with injuries but has always looked promising when in the side. He missed the first half of last season and most of this one (last played in October), but would have been a regualr in the U21 squad (still a 2nd year scholar) if he stayed fit.

I think all of these youngsters have a very good chance of being Championship footballers (or higher), with some doing it with us in a couple of years.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m inclined to agree that there’s sufficient talent in our academy to produce a team 50% full of academy players. The somewhat forced use of Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Whittaker duringadmin  et al proves that really.

Do I think that we will see that in reality? Sadly not 

2 hours ago, Jram said:

I’m inclined to agree that there’s sufficient talent in our academy to produce a team 50% full of academy players. The somewhat forced use of Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Whittaker duringadmin  et al proves that really.

Do I think that we will see that in reality? Sadly not 

All of the players you name could play in the Championship, but not necessarily with us.

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You didn't mention Fapetu in your summary, @Ghost of Clough - would you say he doesn't have the same potential as the players referenced in your post?

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

You didn't mention Fapetu in your summary, @Ghost of Clough - would you say he doesn't have the same potential as the players referenced in your post?

I'm a bit undecided on him tbh. In his role, he needs to add more end product to his game. He showed it in his 2nd year with the U18s, but has struggled a bit in the U21s this season. He needs to be targetting 10 goals/assists next season if he's to make it into our first team.

This season we have Cruz Allen with 3 goals in the equivalant to less than 5 games, and Hawkins (a DM) with 1 goal and 2 assists in the equivalent to just over 8 games. Those are the contribution rates you want to see from your midfielders.
For comparison, Fapetu has just 1 goal and 1 assist in his 1049 PL2 mins.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm a bit undecided on him tbh. In his role, he needs to add more end product to his game. He showed it in his 2nd year with the U18s, but has struggled a bit in the U21s this season. He needs to be targetting 10 goals/assists next season if he's to make it into our first team.

This season we have Cruz Allen with 3 goals in the equivalant to less than 5 games, and Hawkins (a DM) with 1 goal and 2 assists in the equivalent to just over 8 games. Those are the contribution rates you want to see from your midfielders.
For comparison, Fapetu has just 1 goal and 1 assist in his 1049 PL2 mins.

Thanks @Ghost of Clough - makes sense in that case. From the little I've seen of him he seems to have good technical ability and dribbling skills, but if the end product isn't there then he may not make the step up. Cruz Allen looks to be one of the most talented players to come out of the academy in recent years.

Unfortunately, the U21s lost 3-0 to Leeds this afternoon which means we've dropped to the bottom of the table. All 3 conceded within a 10 minute spell.

JThompson; Radcliffe, Cox, KRobinson, Moloney; Stepien-Iwumene, Hawkins; Nto, Wheeldon, Allen; Weston

Subs: Shattell, Osayande, Gough  McAndrew, Oguntolu

1 game to go with a home game vs Everton in 2 weeks time.