Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

So that's probably 5 more - plus probably an extra two to replace Bielik and Knight. 7 signings, 10/11 in total!

Definitely looks like it will end up being double figures, as Nat Jackson intimated 

Haven't heard anything necessarily but I think it's interesting that Wes Harding hasn't signed for anyone yet, despite apparent Championship interest. 

Will we need to borrow f#rests team bus ?

11 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Will we need to borrow f#rests team bus ?

Don’t think there’s much danger of that as we went into the summer with about 12 or 13 players, did we not?

Need a 22/23 man squad for the season really so 10/11 new signings sounds about right. 

Some basic stats to make whatever you will out of, if anything!

Last season's squad:
(League) Goalscorers: 12. Goals: 65 (+2 OG). Assist makers: 13. Assists: 50.

Current squad (based on the most recent League One record of remaining players + new signings:
Goalscorers: 12. Goals: 58. Assist makers: 12. Assists: 59   (this includes Washington, because let's be honest it's inevitable)
...or without Washingtion - Goalscorers: 11. Goals: 47. Assists makers: 11. Assists: 57.

GAVs.JPG.a09751afe712f998b169857cf5ab9c86.JPG

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Magicman said:

Wildsmith Vickers 

Ward Rooney 

Elder  x 

Fozzie Cashin Nelson x 

Bird Smith Thomo Robinson Hourihane 

Sibley Knight Barkhusien NML x 

Collins x x 

Need min 5 ( 6 if Knight goes ) 

More like...

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
CB: ???, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Rooney
WB: Ward, Elder, ???
CM: Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith, Tommo, DRobinson
SS: ???, Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen
CF: ???, ???, Collins

You could make strong arguments for not needing to sign another player to replace Knight.

52 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Some basic stats to make whatever you will out of, if anything!

Last season's squad:
(League) Goalscorers: 12. Goals: 65 (+2 OG). Assist makers: 13. Assists: 50.

Current squad (based on the most recent League One record of remaining players + new signings:
Goalscorers: 12. Goals: 58. Assist makers: 12. Assists: 59   (this includes Washington, because let's be honest it's inevitable)
...or without Washingtion - Goalscorers: 11. Goals: 47. Assists makers: 11. Assists: 57.

GAVs.JPG.a09751afe712f998b169857cf5ab9c86.JPG

Makes McGoldrick look even more important. And we were 20 goals short of automatic.

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Makes McGoldrick look even more important. And we were 20 goals short of automatic.

Sometimes you can become too reliant on one person, to the detriment of the team. Didzy didn't do so well against the better teams, was that because they knew that had to concentrate on only one player, whereas if our threat comes from multiple sources, even the better organised teams would struggle to compete against that.

11 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Sometimes you can become too reliant on one person, to the detriment of the team. Didzy didn't do so well against the better teams, was that because they knew that had to concentrate on only one player, whereas if our threat comes from multiple sources, even the better organised teams would struggle to compete against that.

And where are these multiple sources coming from with Didzy gone?

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

How come we didn't, as a team with Didzy, batter the poorer teams? Could it be that Didzy did more than pull his weight and the rest needed to step up, but we haven't any 'rest' up front?

Edited by RoyMac5

50 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think we just conceded too many.

Rotherham scored 61 when they got automatically promoted 19-20 season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More like...

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
CB: Bradley?, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Rooney
WB: Ward, Elder, Youth Loan?
CM: Bird, Hourihane, Knight/Loan? Smith, Tommo, DRobinson
SS: May?, Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen
CF: Washington?, Clarke-Harris?, Collins

You could make strong arguments for not needing to sign another player to replace Knight.

Feel like that would be a perfect summer. Bird and Smith for one midfield spot. Hourihane, Sibley and a loan player for the second spot. 

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How come we didn't, as a team with Didzy, batter the poorer teams? Could it be that Didzy did more than pull his weight and the rest needed to step up, but we haven't any 'rest' up front?

Sometimes, the other players can become 'lazy' and choose the easy ball, give it to Didzy.

I know it's not on the same level, but my walking football team has got a great striker who is the leading goalscorer in multiple competitions, as the goalkeeper, I get frustrated many times when other good players pass it to him, rather than shoot from better positions themselves.

8 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Feel like that would be a perfect summer. Bird and Smith for one midfield spot. Hourihane, Sibley and a loan player for the second spot. 

I doubt Bradley as an option. Whislt Nelson played on both sides in a back 4 at Blackpool, he only played on the left or in the middle of a back 3. Bradley also predominantly plays on the left or in the middle of a back 3, although he has occasionally played on the right. This means we'd have Forsyth and Rooney as RCB options. I would expect a more mobile RCB.

I also doubtbwe'll be in for Clarke-Harris, due to the fee Peterborough will demand off a promotion rival. They'll ask for more off us than they would a Championship side due to the impact on their own chances of going up.

May isn't a SS. He plays in a 2 upfront. Gillingham are now favourites to sign him, which tells you everything you need to know about the liklihood of us actually being interested.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

Sometimes, the other players can become 'lazy' and choose the easy ball, give it to Didzy.

I know it's not on the same level, but my walking football team has got a great striker who is the leading goalscorer in multiple competitions, as the goalkeeper, I get frustrated many times when other good players pass it to him, rather than shoot from better positions themselves.

Yes this can definitely happen - whether by design or as you say, laziness,  but I simply don't believe that it was the case with us last season. 

It wasn't like when Ince was here and everyone else was subservient to him, McGoldrick gave as good as he got toward our overall team's performances, and quite regularly it was him putting the pinch on an opponent that lead to us gaining possession in the first place. 

It just seems that as soon as it became evident that McGoldrick might actually leave someone flicked a switch, and the narrative went from us needing to bring in players to help McGoldrick carry the weight to McGoldrick's presence almost being the problem.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I doubt Bradley as an option. Whislt Nelson played on both sides in a back 4 at Blackpool, he only played on the left or in the middle of a back 3. Bradley also predominantly plays on the left or in the middle of a back 3, although he has occasionally played on the right. This means we'd have Forsyth and Rooney as RCB options. I would expect a more mobile RCB.

I also doubtbwe'll be in for Clarke-Harris, due to the fee Peterborough will demand off a promotion rival. They'll ask for more off us than they would a Championship side due to the impact on their own chances of going up.

May isn't a SS. He plays in a 2 upfront. Gillingham are now favourites to sign him, which tells you everything you need to know about the liklihood of us actually being interested.

Any thoughts on who you would like or think may come in to provide the goals?

Another reason why I suspect we are trying hard for Wes Harding

Unless Bradley is first choice and Nelson second.

Like you I don’t think JCH is a target. I think Washington might be our old ‘un.

Complemented by two young forwards.