Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Just had a quick look to see how the rest of the division is recruiting and to be fair, the average amount of signings is around 4, which is what we're on. Probably shows that we're not quite as struggling as we think. However, i imagine most of the other teams aren't looking to bring in 10 players so to play devils advocate maybe we do need to get a move on. 

In my opinion the 4 signings we have made have been smart and solid and the recruitment team deserves credit.

The issues are obvious that we're struggling to sign attackers and the elusive last centre back doesn't seem to want to finalise. Bradley keeps being mentioned as well as Flint but so far so frustratingly slow. 

I think the next 2 weeks are vital. I'd want at least 1 attacker and the centre back situation resolving in this time. Then by Wigan at home I'd expect at least another couple of players on top of that. I don't think we want to be looking at bringing in more than 2 players during the last month of the window.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Which Warne is actively choosing to maintain this season 

I think itll be a tight squad , but i would wager itll have more options within it than previous.. injurys withstanding obvs 

managers always talk about having a tight knit squad so iv no problem with him going down that route

its not like we’re city or even derby of old, we have to be shrewd and clever

im excited by it all.. it may well blow up in our faces and warne may turn out to be terrible but i want to just see a derby manager here for a couple or more seasons to let a plan given a chance to come to fruition … or not

weve done the scatter gun manager thing and it nearly cost us our club

im fine with us battening down the hatches and just doing things carefully, methodically and slowly

its the total opposite approach to what weve become accustomed to, but why not

the other way didnt work 

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Just had a quick look to see how the rest of the division is recruiting and to be fair, the average amount of signings is around 4, which is what we're on. Probably shows that we're not quite as struggling as we think. However, i imagine most of the other teams aren't looking to bring in 10 players so to play devils advocate maybe we do need to get a move on. 

In my opinion the 4 signings we have made have been smart and solid and the recruitment team deserves credit.

The issues are obvious that we're struggling to sign attackers and the elusive last centre back doesn't seem to want to finalise. Bradley keeps being mentioned as well as Flint but so far so frustratingly slow. 

I think the next 2 weeks are vital. I'd want at least 1 attacker and the centre back situation resolving in this time. Then by Wigan at home I'd expect at least another couple of players on top of that. I don't think we want to be looking at bringing in more than 2 players during the last month of the window.

Agree

i think one thing we perhaps have in our locker and i may be wrong and its just my guesswork

cos of who we are.. we may (and i cant stress how much of a guess this is) but we may be holding fire a little as when the prem and champ start getting their arses into gear we might have the chance of picking up a good quality loan or maybe something that isnt quite getting the minutes in the champ

As u alluded to … 2 /(3 weeks i think) things will get moving a little as squads around the country start to take shape

warne did say exactly this 

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think itll be a tight squad , but i would wager itll have more options within it than previous.. injurys withstanding obvs 

managers always talk about having a tight knit squad so iv no problem with him going down that route

That's all well and good, but you need to manage player fitness if you're going to do that.  You can't expect the same core group of players to absolutely run themselves to death for 50+ games in a season.  And that's even before you factor in that a big chunk of our squad is going to have missed Warne's fabled preseason fitness-building.

18 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'm expecting at least one signing today...

Probably putting 2+2 together and making 5, but what would be the point of going on a big pre-season training camp without players you want to be a key part of the team at the start of the season?

Pre-season training camp was organised weeks ago, well before the difficulties in signing a striker were known.

There's little point in making a 'second best' signing, just so he can go on the training camp, next season is when it counts.

24 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'm expecting at least one signing today...

Probably putting 2+2 together and making 5, but what would be the point of going on a big pre-season training camp without players you want to be a key part of the team at the start of the season?

Warne did say in that interview yesterday he was hoping to get one striker done before the pre-season trip. The questions in that interview were all about strikers joining and Knight’s future, so there’s still the potential for defensive players to be announced too. Perhaps that additional centre back and wing back will appear. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne did say in that interview yesterday he was hoping to get one striker done before the pre-season trip. The questions in that interview were all about strikers joining and Knight’s future, so there’s still the potential for defensive players to be announced too. Perhaps that additional centre back and wing back will appear. 

I think he did say we are close with one…

29 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's all well and good, but you need to manage player fitness if you're going to do that.  You can't expect the same core group of players to absolutely run themselves to death for 50+ games in a season.  And that's even before you factor in that a big chunk of our squad is going to have missed Warne's fabled preseason fitness-building.

Im Not saying a tiny squad (we had the smallest in the league last year) 

but something that offers balance and options within it

if u listen to warne he said he normally likes to run with 4 forwards… so thats perfectly acceptable wouldnt u think?

But would rather run with 3 better ones than 4 average ones if it came down to it

i would imagine its a constantly changing picture 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Im Not saying a tiny squad (we had the smallest in the league last year) 

but something that offers balance and options within it

if u listen to warne he said he normally likes to run with 4 forwards… so thats perfectly acceptable wouldnt u think?

But would rather run with 3 better ones than 4 average ones if it came down to it

i would imagine its a constantly changing picture 

It's not about balance and options though, it's entirely a numbers game.  If you want players to absolutely run themselves into the ground (which Warne openly admits he wants), then you simply can't get by with a small squad.  Burnout in the later stages of a season has been a consistent thing with both us last season and his Rotherham teams.  The smaller the squad, the more that is going to happen.

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not about balance and options though, it's entirely a numbers game.  If you want players to absolutely run themselves into the ground (which Warne openly admits he wants), then you simply can't get by with a small squad.  Burnout in the later stages of a season has been a consistent thing with both us last season and his Rotherham teams.  The smaller the squad, the more that is going to happen.

I disagree sorry

Having a massive squad at this level is neither practical or unsustainable

to have a squad of good players where half are scratching around doing nothing isnt possible and we couldnt afford it 

If u read what i said, its about balance 

im not saying we run with a tiny squad again 

last year we had 2 strikers to choose from

warne has said in an ideal world he would have 4 but it might not be possible

what do u want ? 6? 8? forwards ???

this isnt champo mate

im Sorry but ur wrong

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Good footballers are good footballers they can adjust unless of course that we won’t have good footballers 

Just not true though is it. What's the point in having Messi if you're pumping long balls over his head? Extreme example, but it's essentially what we're talking about. If you want a player with pace to run in behind, there's no use signing someone who can't run.

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Perfectly simple.  All content today relates to the above so nothing new has happened.  You clearly lost that in your haste to have the usual dig.

It wasn’t a dig, I didn’t follow your meaning. Thank you for clarifying. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’ve got no interest in any animosity with anyone, we’ve got some different views and approaches that doesn’t mean I’m looking to have digs at you or anyone else.